Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,771 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78

I'M GOING CRAZY!!!

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
so i guess that means you're gonna stick around a bit more? ;p your meter is under Personal Profile You can add a pic under Support Group Options Just make sure you read through and select the options about showing them [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 224 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,523.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so very much for your thoughts and comments. I truly appreciate everyone's input. I do not mean to snap at anyone or reject anyone's suggestions. I am applying everything said to me. I did want to ask before I forgot again, how do I show my mileage charts along with my reply to chats and how do I choose a picture? Anybody know?
  • Quit Meter

$46,223.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 617 Hours: 18

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 105 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can tell you from my experience that the first few days was terrible and by day 10, things were a little better, but not much. Today things are significantly better, but I still feel cravings every day and sometimes they overwhelm me. If you haven't read Allen Carr's book, I recommend reading it. There is also some usful info on the web. Getting through 10 days, even a miserable 10 days is significant. Keep hanging on. Lori [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 330 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $66.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ldyexec I agree with pen that attitude is everything in terms of the ease or difficulty of the quit. It sounds like you WANT to quit, but are having problems with HOW to do it. Have you looked at what your specific triggers are? First thing in the morning? In the car? When you finish x amount of work? When you are on the phone? When you get off the phone? etc, etc. We associate smoking with so many ordinary daily activiites, that it is not surprising that we think we want to smoke so many times throughout the day. You have read the "This is why you think about smoking" thread, haven't you? Once you figure out your triggers, you can plan a strategy ahead of time to deal with them; by changing your routine, by drinking some ice cold water, by having some printed out lists or self talk suggestions, by giving yourself a mini reward, by getting physically active, by having a snack (lucky you), or by doing some deep breathing and relaxation. This quitting business takes work, so you need to give it as much attention and planning and stick-to-itness as you would any worthwhile project. It does become easier after you short circuit the associations, truly it does. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 224 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,523.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
16 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Find something positive about this quit to focus on instead of the cravings. What is going to happen if you don't smoke??? Are you going to go crazy? So go. It will pass. Try to be happy that you are doing the best thing for yourself and family. Do you want to be on an oxygen tank when you are older? Do you want to get older? You don't smoke anymore. Period. Be strong. Take it one hour at a time. You CAN do this. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 297 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,455 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,247.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
16 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there, it does get easier, I promise you. I also hate that feeling of anger and frustration and I go through periods where I really don't like myself very much and I'm snapping at anything that has a pulse, so you are not alone in this. Quitting will be one of the hardest things we ever do and the most important thing. Try and distract yourself when you feel like your climbing the walls. Think of things to do to lift your mood, go shopping, buy and read a favorite magazine, take a long bath with soft music. Anything that will calm your frustrations. Do anything you want except smoking, smoking is not an option to lift your mood. Let us know how your doing!! Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $203.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm guessing that you have taken a good while to put yourself into this addictive position. Please understand that it will take longer than 10 days to pull yourself out of it. And it hurts! There is much sound advice here that helps many people quit. If you don't like some of it, leave it and just take those bits you feel you do need. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you what you want to hear. Good Luck. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/18/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1262 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 25,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �6,310.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 202 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$57,299.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1134 Hours: 22

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Okay, I read that long, informative rendition of "yes, it's all in your head and attitude", but lets face it, it is very easy to say "well, have a good attitude and everything will fall into place". I woke up this morning in a good mood. HOWEVER, my withdrawl is just as difficult today as day 1. THAT IS WHAT I AM NOT UNDERSTANDING AND I'M SLOWLY GETTING FED UP WITH THIS FEELING! I have nothing but a positive attitude regarding quitting and how much better I will be for it in every respect, but its not helping!
  • Quit Meter

$46,223.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 617 Hours: 18

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You've come too far to turn back now. I guess everyone has different tendencies when we talk about withdraw problems. The thing is, I'm envious that you made it ten days. Sooner or later, you're going to feel better. Stay tough, and keep thinking about how much better you're life will be without the added expense, and odors that come along with this life threatening habit. Goofy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ldyexec, You may benefit from this Duffis post from way back - I hope so, good luck! Quotation - "When???..... I keep seeing folks asking WHEN will thus and such symptom of quitting be over. WHEN will I feel better? WHEN will I stop craving a smoke? WHEN will I stop relapsing and get quit for good? When, when, when..... OK, OK.... I'll let you in on the big secret.... (I hope I don't get kicked out of the SSC for telling!) Get over here! You don't expect me to say this out LOUD do you? Give me your ear.... this has to be whispered... and don't you DARE tell another soul!! Tuesday!!!!!!!!! It will ALL happen on Tuesday! There! Feel better? What? You want know WHICH Tuesday? I guess I have to tell you everything�ok It will happen the Tuesday AFTER you stop feeling sorry for yourself for taking the stand to quit smoking! The minute that you really and truly believe that you have given yourself a GIFT by stopping smoking, and that you deserve that gift, your quit life gets better and better. NO, the cravings don't go away, but you suddenly can see them as a temporary thing, kind of like gas, that will pass... sometimes with a bit of a stink just to remind you that it really is a process of elimination of the toxic thoughts of an addict. You may experience a twinge of a craving for decades... so what? It is a FEELING... you don't have to ACT on it! And it soon passes. MUCH of how we experience our individual quit is a matter of our ATTITUDE! I have preached on attitude since I joined the SSC. The quit is 90% attitude towards your self and life in general. How are you approaching your new day? Yes, it is YOUR day! Are you looking at it in a hopeful, positive light? Or are you grumbling and bemoaning the fact that it is another day of fighting the punishment of quitting? If your day is one of a negative attitude, a day of grumbling and grousing about what is happening as if you are a victim of your life; you need to stop the negativity and begin your day over... go ahead... do it. You can as easily choose to see the light or the dark. You can choose to see the small discomforts as growing pains or as death throes. You can whine and moan about your martyrdom, or celebrate your FREEDOM. It is all choice, your choice. Duffis" [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/18/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1262 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 25,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �6,310.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 202 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$57,299.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1134 Hours: 22

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: