Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,512 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Why You Can't Save Cigarettes for a "Rainy Day"

17 years ago 0 126 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My dear CobenFan, Thank you from the bottom of my heart! It seems every time I'm feeling weak, looking for that "excuse", you seem to post something that puts my resolve right back where it belongs. You truly are my Knight in Shining Armour! Thanks again. Theresa :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $24 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CobenFan,, I often "thought" of quitting many many times over the years and then I just dismissed the thought and went along my merry way.. But then one day (Halloween morning) I went about my regular morning ritual, coffee, breakfast and then to the p.c. with cig's and ashtray in hand and.. Well I just looked at the cig's and said aloud.."I don't even fancy one.." I shoved it away, checked my emails, messages etc. and before I knew it 2 hrs. passed me by and that's when I said.."That's it! I am going to quit.. ENOUGH of "thinking" about it!" I threw all cig's out, matches, lighters and ashtrays. I went to the drugstore to buy the gum (and then later into the 2nd week of my quit switched to the patches). One week into my quit I googled "quit smoking", found this site and the rest is history! :) It's been tough, especially hell week.. and then with other stressors..but I didn't set a date to quit, I didn't prepare this in anyway whatsoever. I really think, speaking only for myself, that if I did plan it out it would have made me really stressed..does that make any sense at all? Well, here I am .. almost finished 19 days in ...Wooo hooo! Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 374 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $162 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 738 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I think you can't save cigarettes for a rainy day because they would disintegrate in the wet and make a big mess! But seriously, junkie thinking is: I just want to hang out with my smoking friends. I'll quit when this pack/carton is gone. I'll quit when the price gets to [u]insert price here[/u]. I'm going on vacation and I just can't quit then. I'm already sick, so what's the use? and so on.... Thanks for the reminder, Cobenfan, it's good to keep these in mind. Stay ahead of the junkie talk and it's all good. [IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p300/DeeKaySss/sylvesterntweety.gif[/IMG] Denise [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 961 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I kinda tricked myself into quitting by doing it with absolutely no preparation. (And I fooled myself too because I'm still here) I'm afraid that I probably would have talked myself out of trying if I spent too much time thinking about it. Sometimes life is LESS stressful now. I had to pick a fella up at the hospital at 5:30 p.m. They said they would bring him down to the car. When I got there, he was still in bed with an i.v. We didn't get out until after 6:30 and he still hadn't eaten yet....so took him to restaurant and then drove him home...and didn't get back from work until after 8:30. When I was smoking, that day would have been major stressful because I couldn't smoke...without worrying about my addiction, I could relax and take my time. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,338 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $330 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Treat your body like a temple, not a shack. Fondly, Free [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 189 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,683 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $756 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$54,493.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 2

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey - thanks Theresa (U R doing great!) I'm glad to be around here ... Windy, I couldn't agree with you more.... Denise, I actually did the whole "when cigs cost me (insert amount here)" for a while too. Nice analogy of cat & mouse game! And I forgot to say.... smoking in the rain is the PITS ! But now I think it's funny when I see people doing it. [IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/CHEARNE/yeahthat.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 237 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,035 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $829.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
There are days that I read a lot of things like this: My job is really difficult right now - I don't know if I can handle quitting. My family members won't do anything to help. It's not a good time. After the holidays I will be able to focus. I need to "mentally prepare for my quit". There is a too much stress involved in quitting, I don't need that. See a pattern???? Junkie thoughts dominate. I just need to say a couple of things. If your job is really difficult, it will be even whether you smoke or if you don't smoke. ANY DAY is a good day to quit smoking. ESPECIALLY the holidays, talk about stressing yourself out!!!! You can tell your family you are quitting and ask for help, but it's YOUR quit, make it work the best you know how and protect it at all costs. Mentally preparing to quit means "I'm putting it off". You either are quitting smoking, or you're not. Dedicate yourself one way or another, don't waste time vacillating. Don't need the extra stress? How about gasping for air from a hospital bed? When you say you're done smoking cigarettes, BE DONE -get rid of ALL of them, check your car, your cabinets, drawers, etc. CHOOSE LIFE. Make the right decisions for You, it's your life and you are SO WORTH IT. I wish all you new quitters the best ~ CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 236 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,027 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $826 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
;p
17 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Coben [IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n41/barb5331/Bravo.gif[/IMG] New quitters...........CLICK ON SEARCH and type in CobenFan. Read any and all threads she has written. She gets it. Her words are BEYOND wise. As always.........THANKS for the "cobenism's"! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 293 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,401 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $879 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post, CobenFan. However, looking back at my quit, I probably would not choose again to quit right before Christmas holidays. I ruined it for everyone...two years later, they're all finally over it. LOL. However, I would plan and prepare during the holidays to quit after. Just my own personal experience. Windy, I also quit with no forethought. But I started researching within a couple of days and found this and a couple of other sites that helped me a lot. Wise words, everyone! Rusty Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 704 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 19,727 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2464 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 96 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$54,776.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 646 Hours: 20

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: