Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,511 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Yoga & Meditation

17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I decided to go back to yoga, something I did before smoking, since I am quitting. I remembered a book called 28 days of yoga, and it's really good. It has a 28 day plan to get the body prepared for the more complex posistions and breathing that yoga requires. I would recomend it.
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Casey, Fish, Riverdale Man & Healer, Thanks for sharing with me what you do to relax and breathe. I am going to try some of these out and also browse the store for some relaxing music and beginner yoga DVD. Love any reason to get myself to the book store (they don't smoke there!). I also kinda of laughed when I realized there are NOT so many yoga bugs in our midst here. Now maybe if I asked for Golf advice............ LOL. Thank you all again and have a terrific evening. Hangin in Not Givin In, CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 764 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
Island Girl, Thanks for the tips - and no worries I If I look funny doing yoga, it will be good for my laughing deficit! It's statistically stated that kids laugh at least 40 times a day. I want to be like that!!!! Maybe redrosie has a funny lady doing yoga, like the thigh master one she had before! Too funny. CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 777 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $157.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
Hi.... since I stopped smoking I am very involved with an exercise program and now would like to expand that out to Yoga & Meditation. Would love to hear your opinions and recommendations on books or tapes that are for people who are "beginnners"?? CobenFan (Christine) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 756 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear CobenFan Thanks much for starting this thread. And fishoutofwater, Phillip, Healer and Vee....I appriciate the advice! Phillip I have printed your reply.......sounds like something I definitly should be doing...thanks Karen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 99 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,490 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $297 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi CobenFan - Meditation clears the mind and spirit and it recharges our batteries:) I have many of my clients begin their days with a 5 minute meditation (and one at night before bed)... such an incredible stress reliever. Just taking 5 minutes and clearing the mind makes a huge difference... and yoga I love... pilates is also amazing and gentle. Rather than books (and I don't really use tapes) just be still in a comfortable sitting position (lying down if you'd like for your meditation to take you to a deep sleep) and concentrate on your breathing and your body. If you have a thought, gently push it away until later. Inhale the golden spray of compassionate energy, hold it 1,2,3,4 as it fills your body, all the way down to each toes and fingers, and exhale all the stress your body and mind have been holding... And so it goes. I also have a wonderful water mediation for bath...if you are interested let me know::)) Blessings and Light- Healer [url=[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/healerwithin/tinysmiley.gif[/IMG]][IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/healerwithin/tinysmiley.gif[/IMG][/url] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 64 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,262 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $297.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christine - I have been doing yoga for years. I actually prefer tapes or DVDs to classes at the gym. That way I'm not so judgemental on myself. If I look goofy or if I fall out of a pose - only I know so I just laugh and keep on going. My two favorites for beginners is a Rodney Yee Yoga for beginners - he's very easy to follow and then - believe it or not - Ali McGraw has a yoga tape that I have used for many years. It's very calming and easy to follow... HMMMMM now that I have got my mindset back into my yoga I think I'll go home from work now and do my practice. I think that's what has been missing for the last couple of weeks. THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!!!! Have fun and be gentle with yourself when you just start! Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 776 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
  • Quit Meter

$1,702,875.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5859 Hours: 11

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Christine - Want to hear something ironic? Right after I posted to you one of my best friends called (actually she used to be my yoginee) and put her two year old on the phone. She wanted her "auntie" to come and do her kid yoga tape with her. So I went. It was a cute tape from Mai Lana with all little children in the tape. We had a ball! Actually worked up a sweat! So...hope you are finding some good tapes - sometimes TJMaxx will have them at a good price. Take Care Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 780 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
  • Quit Meter

$1,702,875.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5859 Hours: 11

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry I have no books to recommend. and the if you do a search on meditative breathing and breath work. you will find information. Here is some that I found. "1. Assume a comfortable sitting posture. 2. Close your eyes, keep your spine straight, and let your shoulders drop a bit. 3. Bring your attention to your belly, noticing it rise or expand gently with each inbreath and fall or recede with each outbreath. The rise and fall of your abdomen as you breathe will be the sole focus of this meditation. 4. Keep the focus on your breathing - the rise and fall of the belly - �being with� each inbreath for its full duration and with each outbreath for its full duration, as if riding the waves of your own breathing. 5. Every time you notice your attention has wandered, notice where your attention has gone, then gently bring it back to the rise and fall of the belly as you breathe. 6. If your mind wanders away a hundred times, then your �job� is simply to bring it back, nonjudgmentally, a hundred times. By nonjudgmentally I mean you do not judge the fact that your mind has wandered - because that's what minds do! You simply bring your attention back to the rise and fall of your belly without judgment. 7. That's it! That's Meditative Breathing. Practice it for 15 minutes, once or twice a day, and see the benefits accrue over time. You can not do Meditative Breathing wrong if you do it. Thoughts of "I am doing this wrong" or "This is not working" are simply more distracting thoughts to let go of as you meditate." Good luck. Finding my breath for me was a "miracle" from all of the smoke and abuse that I had put my lungs through. Breath work can be very healing and can be a positive and reenforcing addition to the coping mechanisms in the act of quitting smoking. It also helps to be able to breath completely and deeply while swimming which is an activity that I picked up around the time I quit. Ciao Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,613 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $600 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 663 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey Christine, I've enjoyed Yoga since I quit. I just joined a local class. I started just before my quit date and have taken a class once a week since. Sometimes I do it on my own at home, but more often - not. Conveniently, my class is on Mondays, so it helps me kind of get my week started in a focused manner. Sorry if this wasn't much help. I don't know what a good book or tape might be, but I'd recommend sitting in on a beginner class or 2. I'm sure the instructor or someone there would be helpful in directing you to apppropriate materials. keep on keepin' on - fish [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 138 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,158 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $690 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6

Reading this thread: