Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,514 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Junkie Thinking - A Survival Guide...

12 years ago 0 567 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello CV Deb!!!

So nice to see yiu here. I havent been for quite some time--but I am happy and proud to say I am still smoke free (3 1/2 years - 4 on March 1st)..

Anyway-- enough about me..how my friend are you these days? Hope you are well and are beating the demon.

I am living proof it can be done - and it is not that hard. Just a one day at a tine mentality and really believe with each crave you beat YOU are stronger.

Stay strong Deb + XO

12 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh my Gosh!  This was so timely!

I woke up this morning and realized that I haven't even thought about smoking for a couple of days.  'What a triumph!' I said to myself. 

We are scheduled to have a dinner party tomorrow night, and there are no smokers coming except "social smokers".  You know those people.  The ones that can have one and leave it.

When I realized that I hadn't even thought about smoking, the demon snuck in and said "one with the social smokers would be okay.  One and not one more."

Hmmmm.  How easy is the slip.  THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!!!!!!!  I know that I can't even have one.  I've worked too hard and will not go back.

Deb
12 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh my Gosh!  This was so timely!

I woke up this morning and realized that I haven't even thought about smoking for a couple of days.  'What a triumph!' I said to myself. 

We are scheduled to have a dinner party tomorrow night, and there are no smokers coming except "social smokers".  You know those people.  The ones that can have one and leave it.

When I realized that I hadn't even thought about smoking, the demon snuck in and said "one with the social smokers would be okay.  One and not one more."

Hmmmm.  How easy is the slip.  THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!!!!!!!  I know that I can't even have one.  I've worked too hard and will not go back.

Deb
12 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bump up
12 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just because. Thanks Josie for reposting the whole thing
13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think this is the original!
Its a great way to combat that junkie thinking! 

Print it!
Post it!
Prepare for it!

JUNKIE THINKING: "One Puff won't hurt"
RESPONSE: "One puff will always hurt me, and it always will because I'm not a social smoker. One puff and I'll be smoking compulsively again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I only want one."
RESPONSE: "I have never wanted only one. In fact, I want 20-30 a day every day. I want them all."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'll just be a social smoker."
RESPONSE: "I'm a chronic, compulsive smoker, and once I smoke one I'll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social smokers can take it or leave it. That's not me."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now."
RESPONSE: "The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore. I'll be smoking again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'll just stop again."
RESPONSE: "Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it too me to stop this time. And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?"

JUNKIE THINKING: "If I slip, I'll keep trying."
RESPONSE: "If I think I can get away with one little "slip" now I'll think I can get away with another little "slip" later on."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I need one to get me through this withdrawal."
RESPONSE: "Smoking will not get me through the discomfort of not smoking. It will only get me back to smoking. One puff stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I miss smoking right now."
RESPONSE: "Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. But do I miss the chest pain right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I'd rather be an ex-smoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to stop doing it."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I really need to smoke now, I'm so upset."
RESPONSE: "Smoking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset, I'll just be an upset smoker. I never have to have a cigarette. Smoking is not a need; it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not smoking."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I don't care."
RESPONSE: "What is it exactly that I think that I don't care about? Can I truthfully say I don't care about chest pain? I don't care about gagging in the morning? I don't care about lung cancer? No, I care about these things very much. That's why I stopped smoking in the first place."

JUNKIE THINKING: "What difference does it make, anyway?"
RESPONSE: "It makes a difference in the way I breathe, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference in every aspect of my physical and emotional health."
(Excerpted from Patricia Allison's book)

13 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bump
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the bump! An SSC fav! Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 45 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been thinking my junkie thinking for too long. No more. Thanks for that.
16 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hillary, This is for you - an OLD post of mine:) Brubaker [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/11/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 72 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �19.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23

Reading this thread: