Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,512 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Hi! I?m new to this forum.

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Syd0269,
 I just had an after thought. I'm kind of in the same situation with my wife. She's smoked for 35+ years and enjoys it. As you know, you cannot maker a smoker quit, they have to want to do it on their own. She does not smoke in the house anymore, and never smokes in the car or truck. The only time she quit was when she was pregnant but started back up when our son was born.  She's watched her father die a slow and agonizing death from throat cancer, and she's watched my uncle and her aunt also die from lung cancer. She too knows that smoking is very bad for you but will not quit. If you do finally find a reason to quit smoking, can you pop back in and let me know what the reason was? Maybe I can use it to get her to quit too. 
Thanks.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,201.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 2

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Syd0269,
 Well how about making smoking as painful and expensive as possible for a start? You know, force yourself not to smoke in the car when you're alone. If you get an urge, pull over and get out of the car to have, no matter the weather, no matter the time constraints. Put a jar somewhere in your house, and put 5 dollars or more in it each time you have a cigarette.  Be sure and give that money to your husband too and don't keep it. Switch brands. If you smoke regular now change to menthol or vise versa. 
 Or, try using a nicotine replacement therapy and try to quit. The patch helped me. Chantix has helped others. You never know until you try. Fear does not seem to be a motivating factor for you, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what I can offer you to encourage you to try and quit. Have you made an obituary for yourself yet??? Maybe your husband could help you write it. 
Good luck on finding the inner strength in you to "take the plunge" and quit, I wish you the best.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,201.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 2

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone! I'm a 61 yr. old female and have smoked for 40 years. I quit once for 4 months only because I had the flu so bad I could barely breathe, let alone smoke.

My problem, in a nutshell, is that I enjoy smoking and do not feel an urgency to quit. I know I should quit and have known this for a very long time. I'm a registered nurse and worked for years in a Respiratory Critical Care Unit and have watched countless people die from COPD, lung cancer  . . . basically every form of disease known to be caused by smoking. I even smoked when I was pregnant.

So my question is, how do I increase my desire to quit? I live only with my husband of 37 years, and he has never smoked. The only change in my smoking is that about 3 years ago I stopped smoking in the house, and I only smoke in my car if I am alone.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

• Quit Meter

$90,822.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6491 Hours: 5

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked