Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

A Test....And I Passed

6 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post and great dedication!

It sounds like you know your limits and your supports. This is a huge part of a successful quit. Keep it up. Also, please keep sharing your inspirational stories!

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome post Lulapoussin.   It sounds like you're bound and determined to beat this addiction, and THAT'S that attitude you need to do it!  You proved to yourself yesterday that you can still enjoy life without a cigarette and it sounds like it has given you more determination to win this battle. Be sure and reward yourself, you deserve it.
Stay strong you quitter.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,213.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 14

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yesterday, I reset my clock. I had a busy day planned. Soccer games and my niece's party, which was 2.5 hours away. I put my patch on in the AM. The first time I used it. It really did help with the cravings, even if I do believe it's more mental. When the thought comes in "I could use a smoke," I say, "You have nicotine running through your blood right now. You're not craving the drug; you're craving the habit." I think this makes a huge difference. I know I'm prolonging the nicotine withdraw, but I really think I have to approach this evil addiction from the mental aspects first. My mind has to know it's strong enough. And I have to break that habit before I pull it all out from under me. So....while cold turkey would've been preferred, I'm okay with patches. Whatever works. 

So, we get home at 8. My friend is in town and at a local brewery that had their grand opening yesterday. That's about the worst place for a person on day 1, right. Yes. I hesitated, but I also knew I'd be with NON SMOKERS that know what I'm doing. So I went. I drank two delicious beers, sat with my friends and had a great time. I didn't step outside. I didn't come back in smelling of smoke. I honestly barely thought about it. 

We did talk about it for a minute, but I said I would be fine. I stood up at one time to go to the restroom and my friend said, "Where do you think you're going" because she has my back. I'm not gonna lie; there was a part of me that wanted to stop on my way home, but I did not. I did not. :)

I know this was easier because 1) I was with my support team 2) I just had a couple beers in a non-smoking environment 3) I was determined and felt strong. I know I can't put myself in drinking situations without those elements. If I were drinking outside around smokers....wow...that'd be way tougher and I am NOT ready for that. 

But it was great to know I COULD do it and STILL HAVE A GOOD TIME. I could laugh and talk and dance without the NASTY cigarette. 

Today is Day 2. I feel strong. I feel committed. I am brushing off the cravings. It is different this quit and I am SO thankful. The road will have tough spots, but I can manage it.  

• Quit Meter

$4,974.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 221 Hours: 4

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: