Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Relationships & Smoking

7 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yay! Congrats!

Writing down your thoughts when you're upset is an amazing way to process them. Very intuitive of you for doing that. It sounds like you have a strategy for dealing with conflict while you quit and beyond!

Nice job at staying strong!

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey! 

So I was able to make it through that fight and I am happy to say I am still smoke free! Everyday produces its new challenges but I just keep taking them one day at a time. The best way I found to get through that fight was to make a list of why I am upset. I know that sounds kind of weird but I found that instead of just being mad if I layed out my thoughts it was easier for me and him to come to a resolution.

Plus it helps that we love each other and can't stay mad for too long lol!

All I can say is my choice to stay smoke free was stronger than the demons telling me to come back. I just kept telling myself that it will pass stay strong, and eventually like every craving it did. 
  • Quit Meter

$12,623.52

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 211 Hours: 3

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

7 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear about your fight. Relationship stress can be a big trigger for smoking so good for you for posting here instead of smoking! That takes a lot of strength and determination. How were you able to get through it? How are you doing now?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey WizardRae!!!

I hope you have given yourself time to lower your heart rate and think about the discussion and about your quit!  I know that I had to give myself a little time-out before opening my big fat mouth when I first quit!  Remember it is always a good idea to remove yourself from a situation before it evolves into something you may regret.  But for now, you have time to reflect.  Think about what you could have done to improve the situation and learn from this episode. 

The nico-demon is going to be sitting on your shoulder for a while longer.  Think about your coping strategies that you listed while going through the Program Milestones.  This may help you in the future.  I used deep breathing several times to help me cope.  I also walked away from conversations before they got out of hand!  I coming here and writing is also good therapy!  I did that sooo much!

Hang in there and just remember that smoking is not the answer you are seeking!  Not One Puff Ever!!!  You can do this!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 15

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 59

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

7 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So my boyfriend and I just got into a huge blowout fight our first one since I quit smoking. My first instinct wasn't to run and buy a pack but the more I sit and stew the more I find myself thinking about it. I know it's my brain trying to make an excuse but how did everyone else cope with things like this? It's hard for me to focus at work because all I'm thinking about is the fight or smoking right now. 
  • Quit Meter

$12,623.52

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 211 Hours: 3

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: