Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

NEUROTIC?

13 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lil; I know you don't want to hear this but the only thing that relieves my anger is a walk. It is hard. I only commit to 30 minutes everyday. I am using a patch this time and let me tell you, for me it is alot easier to get through the psychological part of it so no you won't feel like doing anything but what you do will be a real life saver in the long run. I have tried alot of different things but the only thing that works for me is to walk away from the whole thing, literally. You don't have to do that but find the one thing outside of your house that might help. Just one thing and do it everyday. Wake up in the morning and think about that thing first thing. It may replace your addiction in the long run. I think everyone is just trying to tell you what worked for them and it does suck. I do not talk about quiting. My husband just says how you doing and moves on because he knows I do not want to talk about it to someone who doesn't know what quitting is about. I have a friend I talk to who quit and it helps. Just find something outside your life that helps. you have made it this far and I think they are right that one day you will have a good day. I am hanging on to that. Hope 

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 9/12/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 5
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 40
Amount Saved: $20.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 12 Mins: 24 Seconds: 36

13 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hullo, Brenda, Breather, Peteg and Jason

Cheers for 'talking to me' ... I do appreciate it.  I live in a world divided strictly into two ... on one side are the NEVER smokers and on the other side there is the NEVER tried to give up smokers ... so I have no one here to empathise with my 'suffering'.  I seem to do a little better earlier in the day ... but as the evening wears on ... my frustration levels begin to rise (It seems that 'I' am 5 hours ahead of most of 'you' ... time wise!) My post shows that it was written at 7.00pm (ish) but in reality ... I wrote it about midnight, after yet another evening of mindless TV.  Yes ... I does seem that for the moment, I have misplaced my 'mo-jo' ... but I am just trying to take things as they come ... I know that eventually my frustration will drive me into being a little more productive with my time but since giving up the smokes ... my body feels a little broken and my mind is a bit angry and obsessed, therefore I am tiptoeing through each day in fear of upsetting this dysfunctional little balancing act that I have going on .

Brenda ...  yeah, the excercise will have to come sooner rather than later ... because if I keep eating as I am doing ... and not exercising, they are gonna have to remove the roof of my house to get me out!!!  Hey ... you must be thrilled with your success in keeping yourself trim ... well done.  I cant believe that you have the will power to stop smoking and exercise ... but it is a sensible thing to do (I know!)  Keep at it Brenda ... do you have any 'before' and 'after' photos?

Breather ... thanks for sharing some of your 'bad' times with me ... I know it might seem weird ... but it does help to know how much other people suffered (I know! ... it is a little warped and twisted of me!) but seriously, especially in these early days ... 'we' need to know that 'we' are being normal?  and no ... there was nothing specific that triggered it off ... just craziness and frustration ... I just needed to vent!

Peteg ... I knew you would understand!!! ... and no ... I haven't smoked.  Yes, almost each minute of each day it is very tempting to have 'just one' to put an end to this suffering ... but I am trying not to give in to these urges ... as it is these urges that made me stay a smoker for almost 30 years .... God! I feel like a junkie  ... and this is SO hard.  Still ... onwards and upwards my friend ... let me know how things are going for you ... I am a good listener ... it is in my job description!! 

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 9/9/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 120
Amount Saved: �37.80
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 18 Mins: 25 Seconds: 4

13 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Lil A good release would be to chase cars and bite the tires ! Seriously , why are you so angry ? I'm thinking that something happened to set you off. Is it even smoking related ? As far as people not being here I think it shows more people online than actually are here. I know that it shows me being recently online when I haven't been logged in for hours. I think most people are more comfortable just reading the posts instead of posting. I don't have the time to respond to every post nor do I wish to although some people do try. I've found the weekends particularly sparse as far as people posting. At any rate I hope you're feeling better today. Regards breather
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 675
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 33,750
Amount Saved: $16,200.00
Life Gained:
Days: 123 Hrs: 2 Mins: 17 Seconds: 28

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yikes, Lil, I don't know if you even want to hear from me right now.
Yeah, I caved and smoked, and you didn't, so GO YOU!!
My deal was, one cigarette will relieve the incredible pressure built up by the quit.
NOT!!

One cigarette might relieve pressure (no doubt!!), but far worse, it re-opens the door to the addiction we (I) once had under wraps. 

There is no relief valve that involves nicotine; we simply have to invent ways of dealing with the pressure and letting it off.  Opening the gate to the addiction is, and this is the voice of experience talking, the absolute worst couse of action.  The universe is vast -- we simply have to find new outlets for the pressure, new ways of releasing it.  What those are, beyond ice water, breathing, Step 4 Emergency Coping Plans, and the rest, I don't know.  Maybe we can find them together?

I just turned back from a total dead-end; take my hand so you don't go back down that treacherous and deadly path.

pete

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 9/13/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 150
Amount Saved: $42.38
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 17 Mins: 46 Seconds: 11

13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fag Ash Li, sorry I'm somewhat inattentive. I log onto two sites, and my second home is now the YMCA. I get through my day by exercising my butt off. I'm down about 44 pounds since April. I have about another 16 to go. It is close to impossible to do the things I do in the gym and smoke. I don't want to smoke anyway, but I realize that exercising also has the added benefit of keeping me from even thinking good thoughts about smoking. I wouldn't be able to exercise and breathe. I only wish I had of started exercising seriously maybe six months into the quit. It would have helped with some stress, but I really did not feel very comfortable in my quit until one year had past and was a little obsessed with it. Doing some low level exercise from the start helps with the stress of quitting.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 503
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 14,084
Amount Saved: $5,985.70
Life Gained:
Days: 56 Hrs: 15 Mins: 36 Seconds: 0

13 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Lil  I spent the first weeks either on the computer or curled up in the fetal position wishing the world and everything in it would just go away. People say to drink ice water because it helps but if you don't want to go the water route you don't have to. The first couple of months of my quit were ugly and so was I. Everybody's different. So for me it was hell month and then hell month after that. And then I had one good day that I felt half decent. And so it went. Whether they were good days or bad days they all were eventually over just the same. It does get easier. I only hope that it gets better for you sooner than it did for me. breather
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 674
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 33,700
Amount Saved: $16,176.00
Life Gained:
Days: 123 Hrs: 1 Mins: 4 Seconds: 1

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Lil, I am SO there.  I stayed away from the computer so I wouldn't get yelled at by the moderators.  I'm sick of water, sick of breathing, sick of self-talk... all I want is a nice Marlboro, and know THAT'S not going to happen, so I'm just sucking it up.  (So to speak...)

I did break my wine fast, which was a smart thing to do.  Keeping it under 8 ounces, but it does help take the edge off.  Kind of like that first hit of demerol before a colonoscopy, you know?  HA!

Hang in there, walk away (or like Brenda said recently, RUN away from the cravings... they can't catch up), and we'll be fine together.

pete

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 9/13/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 150
Amount Saved: $42.38
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 17 Mins: 28 Seconds: 26

13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lil,

Yeah, quitting smoking is not all positive all the time.  It is filled with a lot of negative emotions, relapses and sometimes yelling at the computer.

It may be worthwhile to take a gander at old post.   Use the search feature to focus on some of the specific concepts you brought up.

Members can you relate to what lil is talking about?   I sure many can...please share your thoughts.

Jason, Bilingual Health Educator
13 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Why are there so many members logged on ... and yet no one seems to have anything to say??  As a recycled 'newbie' I dont always want to be asking for help ... it would be nice just to hear others stories, it doesn't have to be something profound ... just how they got through their day smoke free - I even want ... (no... I need) to hear all the sh*tty bits too ... because I am beginning to wonder if I am the ONLY person who isn't Mrs Super Motivated ... but is doing this thing my any means she can ... I have spent almost a whole week hiding in my bedroom (because I NEVER smoked in there)  I have watched hours of mind numbing TV and I have been so, so frustrated that at times that tearing my own hair out or removing my teeth with a screwdriver seemed like a suitable release for all of this ..... all of this .... this ..... Aaaargh! ..... IRRITATION .... just mindless, aimless, parasitic irritation and overwhelming frustration!!!!   I dont want to drink iced water .... I dont want to eat fruit or veg ... I dont want to excercise .... I dont want to feel as if I am being punished (cos drinking water, eating healthy and exercise is just one or two steps too far down that healthy living road for me right now!!!!!!)  ONE GODDAMNED THING AT A TIME .... PLEASE!!!

I just want someone ... anyone of you out there ... to tell me that you too felt sh*tty ... that you too had days when you wanted to beat your boss, smash a window hit your own head off a wall ... cry ... hide .... scream!!!!!!!  Tell me about all of your really horrible times that you had (or are having) ... just help me to feel as if I am being NORMAL????

Sorry for not being all filled with light and love but I cant be a tree hugger right now .... I am too p***ed off to do all that.

TALK TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Lil

P.s I am now SHOUTING at the computer??????

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 9/9/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 7
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 105
Amount Saved: �33.08
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 17 Mins: 18 Seconds: 18

Reading this thread: