Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Just say HOPE..oooop.... I mean NOPE! Our new president is trying to quit

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  Pete just lost his nomination for president in four years!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 113
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,520
Amount Saved: $904.00
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 18 Mins: 44 Seconds: 4

• Quit Meter

$52,310.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 739 Hours: 22

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Peteg....step away from the pooch.  lol   Hang in there.
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 44
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 528
Amount Saved: $232.32
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 23 Mins: 35 Seconds: 1

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Peteg,

People in recovery do have ups and downs, and sometimes more downs than ups unless they adopt new ways of coping, none of which happen overnight.  We keep saying that quitting is a process. Anger may play an unexpected role for you in this process, and better coping skills need to be developed to deal with this also.  

Sudden anger is unpleasant and scary for the quitter, not to mention your loved ones, friends and co-workers.  Quitters and family alike feel helpless for a little while, amazed (and maybe fearful) at what is happening, at how easy anger rises.  It can take a couple of weeks and maybe one memorable outburst to really alert you to stop and take an inventory of sorts.  As soon as you can, develop adequate strategies.  It may take a while to get everything right, but everyone has to begin somewhere.  Do not resort to smoking!  There are ways to deal with it.

Members, what are some anger managing strategies you find helpful?

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know... I'm not sure I'd want his hand on the button while he's trying to quit.
I about kicked my dog from here to China for no good reason this morning; no telling who I might nuke on a bad day.
peteg

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 2
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 100
Amount Saved: $22.50
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 11 Mins: 13 Seconds: 58

15 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If he is here then we are being watched lol.  At least they are letting him have a limited blackberry.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 369
Amount Saved: $73.80
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 15 Mins: 33 Seconds: 35

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mike lol!
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 23
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 276
Amount Saved: $121.44
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 2 Mins: 45 Seconds: 37

15 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey
maybe he's here already and his site name is "moondreamer" or "footballking" or something like that ?

mike/astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 316
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,480
Amount Saved: $2,844.00
Life Gained:
Days: 53 Hrs: 14 Mins: 43 Seconds: 41

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Let's all support and wish him luck in his quit journey!  If you all can do it, so can he!

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I don't think that Obama's smoking makes him a bad person, but I DO think that it makes him less of a positive role model.  I taught at a school that was 96% African American and the kids there IDOLIZED Obama!  They adored him!  Can you imagine if one of them, or an older siblingthought, "I wanna be like Obama!  He smokes, so it's OK if I do."  Or, somebody thinking about quitting who sees him as a role model... either an adult or adolescent, "Quitting is SO hard!  Even President Obama is having a tough time with it and still smokes sometimes!  If HE can't quit, then there's no WAY that I'd be able to!  I'm not NEARLY as strong of a person as he is!"  I think his smoking is downright irresponsible given his  position.

I went back to school to get my teaching certification after I quit smoking.  One of the reasons I didn't get it before when I was in college was because I didn't want to be seen as a poor role model to those children.  I KNEW that they would be able to smell it on me, or perhaps see me out in public, possibly smoking, and didn't want to make smoking seem OK.  Quitting smoking is a personal choice, but at the same time, when you are in a position of authority and influence, you need to think about those who are influenced by you, either intentionally or unintentionally.  I'm sure that Obama isn't standing up there talking about how great smoking is and how much he loves being a smoker.  But just by having it televised that he smokes, or is quitting but is not being 100% successful with it, may cause people to be influenced, whether he knows it or not.  And he MUST know that he influences people in a very powerful way!!!  I haven't seen people as heavily influenced by and one president in my entire life!!!  And while many of the ways he influences people are positive and healthy, this smoking thing may very well have a negative effect on the public.

We have come SO far in the fight against smoking!!!  More and more states are banning smoking in public places; smoking rates are plummeting, and the number of adolescents starting to smoke has declined significantly as well.  I would HATE to see all of that undone by the actions of one president!  By him smoking, he is sending a message to kids that it's "cool" to smoke again, whereas for many years, smoking has been seen as very UNCOOL!  What a shame it would be to see all of that progress undone!

In my opinion, Obama NEEDS to quit... not JUST for himself and his family, but for this country!!!!

Crave the Quit!

BFS

15 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I thought President Obama had quit smoking.   Guess I wasn't quite right.  At least he's trying.  I'd love to have him join us here!!!!!!

Jan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 360
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,000
Amount Saved: $2,970.00
Life Gained:
Days: 42 Hrs: 7 Mins: 48 Seconds: 3

Reading this thread: