Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

is NRT addictive?

16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MG, if you are on the gum, follow the 'program' of the NRT. If it is helping you quit, then that is more important than rushing to get off of it. First and foremost, quit! You can wean off the gum later when it is time, and you are stronger. Just remind yourself that this is all temporary, the gum, the irritations and the other symptoms will all disappear. One day at a time! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 357 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,925 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,766.35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
16 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm only at 15 days and I am using the gum. I have tried to cut back because of the mouth irritation, but the cravings seem to get worse. Am I cheating by using the gum and prolonging this obsession? I really feel like I need it at this point, but if I have to go through another withdrawal down the road that will be as bad, maybe I should just give up the gum now. I long for the day when I will just be a non-smoker versus a smoker who is just not smoking. Does that make sense to anyone? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/10/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Elaine! NRT's can be very addictive if they are abused, it all depends on the person! If you aren't using any thing now (NRT'S), you could probably chuck them already! Use other things in an emergency, like gum or cold water or candy etc etc. (A lot less likely to cause you any grief!) Congrats on being on the Magic Ship today, and cruising on to the Beach at 100 days! Good for you! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 355 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,745.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 120 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yes i'm off NRT but i have a supply of patches and cartridges for the inhaler that i'm keeping 'for emergencies' in other words if i thought i was definitely about to smoke i'd use NRT first ...it will be a big day for me when i actually bin ALL the nicotine...not ready yet elaine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/4/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �372.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Is NRT addictive? Yes, because it contains nicotine! However NRT is unlikely to kill you, it's the Tar and other chemicals in cigs that do that! Does it matter whether you quit Cold Turkey or not? Is it better to pull a sticking plaster from your arm in one painful movement or do it gradually in many, less painful movements? For me NRT worked, but it depends upon the individual. Do it YOUR way! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 740 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 22,200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5,550.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 120 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
16 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ellis, I used the nic gum to help with this quit. I started out at about 6 pieces a day. As time went on I simply used less and less as my craves seemed to decrease on thier own. Around the 5 month mark I was down to a few peices every couple of days and then one piece every few days. At the time I belonged to an online stop smoking support group (which I believe is the real reason my quit was a success)and the debate was hot - does NRT drag out the agony or not. Well, for me, I would have to say I'm not sure. All I know is that I've lasted a long long time without any nicotine whatsoever and I'm still going strong. Yet for all my bravado...I still have a full untouched box of the gum in my kitchen drawer that I can't bring myself to give away or toss in the trash. hmmm... you can see I still have a bit of a psychological battle going on. I quit on Sept 9, 2006
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
From what I have read, yes it makes it a slow agonizing ordeal. Problem with most people is they start off strong then loose their desire if the results take too long. Best and safest way to quit is cold turkey. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 295 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,375 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,032.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My opinion...there is nothing "clean" about nicotine. It is an addictive drug and it is the primary addictive drug in a cigarette...smoking is just the delivery method. Having said that, NRT - nicotine replacement therapy -- helps many people wean off the delivery method of smoking. But I believe the truth is that as long as you are using, you are using, regardless of the delivery method. So it is healthiest for a person to eventually deal with the addiction in total. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1165 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 32,620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,077.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 166 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$54,818.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 8

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
elaine This is a subject that comes up often here. I understand your concern and I really do not have a definitive answer for you. The problem is that each and every quit is an individual affair. That does not mean that there is not a certain commonality that underlies the entire process. There most certainly is, however, the use of NRTs must remain the choice of the individual quitter. I have found that the process of cessation is very much an inward looking experience. It is a process that involves how a person percieves him or her self in relation to their day to day life. For example in order for me to quit I have had to do it from the inside out. Each time my chronic behavior pattern led me back to the conclusion that it was time for me to have another smoke, I literally had to step back and evaluate WHY this was happening. That line of questioning led me back to one of the base emotional reactions that we all have (fear, anxiety, etc etc)...In so doing I managed to battle with myself and persuade myself through a logical approach that I did not NEED to smoke. And I did not. But that is me, I am sure that we all take our own approach. It is probably not necessary to go to the extent of having a Socratic dialogue with yourself (except in my case) but I do feel that getting a handle on the why of doing a thing is important. In that way I would certainly suggest trying to find the why of that behavior (using NRT) and then deciding if it is necessary or not...Sorry not a very direct answer, but I think this question is to important to be left in the wind and needs to be addressed in one way or another by anyone who is addicted to nicotine... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 422 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,431.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 78 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
  • Quit Meter

$66,580.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 18

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been on the patch and the gum which have worked so well for me. At least, I know that the nicotine being delivered to my body via these two sources is "clean" nicotine which does no harm to the body whatever.You are such a great group of people and wonderful support. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/29/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $280.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43

Reading this thread: