Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

What do you think?

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah, SammiJo, I call b.s too. El toro poopoo. I know that doctors are sometimes full of it, too, but this story doesn't sound right. Especially not the oncologist. I hope your friend is OK and that she takes strength from & follows your example, soon. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 163 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,260 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,793.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yup, I would say addict behavior. No different than the IV junkie. Many people never quit doing whatever it is that they are addicted to. Many people die of alcoholism, drug addiction and smoking. It's not because they don't know they are killing themselves. Sorry about your friend. I hope she changes her mind. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,770 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $345.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
16 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think I would have suggested she get a second opinion! Seriously, maybe this will be her wake up call. I hope so. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 288 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,209.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
16 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I call BS on all of your friend's excuses. That's exactly what they are....excuses! She is only hurting herself and as WE all know, there's never really a good time to quit. One could always come up with some sort of excuse. I say there's never a better time than right NOW! It sounds to me like your friend isn't ready to stop. Boxerfan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 209 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,180 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,045.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sammijo, I do agree with you - but John's Dr told him it was more important for him to lose weight than quit smoking. John posted about this a bit ago. He actually quit without losing weight, gained weight and Dr is all over him about it. so I do believe Dr's say stuff that makes no sense sometimes. John's Dr was more worried about his heart than lungs. I know this isn't the same situation as your friend - just sayn. BTW, I have seen what that lung surgery is like, very very very painful looking. I hope your friend is okay and decides to quit ASAP. Sue [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 173 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,730 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $302.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW this is BULLS#&T Indeed, JUNKIE, JUNKIE for sure, she is only fooling herself and no one else, Like i dont believe any Dr. would tell a person that is wasent a good time to quit, its like really when it it a good time to quit?? Be proud of yourself that you are doing it, and not letting yourself down . Hopefully your friend will soon Put her big girl panties on and deal with the quit before its to late Take care of your self Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1902 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 38,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,657.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 268 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
  • Quit Meter

$14,575.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 688 Hours: 13

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My doctor has always encouraged me to quit no matter what point in my life I was at. We have all been where your friend is, making excuses as to WHY we can't quit smoking today or this week or even this month. I'll quit next month....I'll quit at the first of the year, yada, yada, yada. We have all done it. When she is really ready, she will quit, no matter what her doctor says. Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 292 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think my best friend is lying through her teeth. Do you agree? We had an agreement last year that we�d both quit smoking on New Years Eve. I did it, she didn�t. She said she wanted to use the lozenges � even showed me the box of lozenges that she had purchased � but since she�s a diabetic and had been having crazy sugar readings (200+), she wanted to check with her doctor first. She went to the doctor in late January and her doctor told her: �Now�s not a good time to quit smoking. Your sugar levels have been out of control so let�s deal with that first, and then after that, we�ll talk again about quitting smoking.� I figured at the time, that she had told him she was so stressed about her sugar levels that she didn�t feel like she could add the stress of quitting smoking right then and basically talked him into agreeing that, yeah, okay, wait to quit. In other words, I didn�t think she technically lied, maybe just spun it a little. Then� She got her sugar mostly under control but then her situation at home got really crazy. When she went to the doctor she explained how hard life had become and he prescribed some Xanax for her anxiety. She said the doctor told her: �Now�s not a good time to quit smoking. You are experiencing situational anxiety and depression and your chances of quitting successfully in the middle of such turmoil are so low that you should wait. When things calm down, we�ll talk again about quitting smoking.� Again, I figured she had convinced the doctor that she would go off the deep end if she even attempted to quit, so the doctor said yeah, fine, go ahead and wait. I still didn�t think she technically lied, just that she�d exaggerated a bit. Then� She had severe pain in her side and was admitted to the hospital because they thought it might be appendicitis. It wasn�t appendicitis, in fact they never did (yet) determine the cause of the pain, but while she was there for three days, they did a chest x-ray and saw some small nodules on her lung. My friend was scared by this and when she came out of the hospital after three days of not smoking, she vowed to quit. Her resolve, however, lasted less than twenty-four hours, her quit lost in the face of a family crisis. She was worried, though. She shared with me that, if it is inoperable cancer and she�s sentenced to die, then she wasn�t going to quit smoking. If it was anything less, she said she�d quit. Yesterday she visited an oncologist. He will be doing a scan this Friday to determine whether these nodules on her lungs are cancerous. It was his opinion, he said, that they were not cancerous, but he wanted to confirm that. He asked her, �Are you going to see this for the wake-up call it is and quit smoking?� She said that yes she was. To that, she said the doctor told her: �Now is not a good time to quit smoking. The holiday season is so stressful that few people who try to quit during the holidays are successful. When you come back to see me in January, we�ll talk about helping you to quit smoking then. I�m sorry, but I think this is bull$h*t!!!!! I don�t think there�s an oncologist in the world who would say such a thing to a patient, do you agree? The thing is: If she's lying, this is SUCH junkie behavior!!! To lie to your friends (not just me, she told this to everyone, but I am her best friend), to tell such lies to protect your addiction � it�s just sad and � yeah it�s pathetic! I am so glad to be free. FREE!!!! So very truly really glad! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 295 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $885.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38

Reading this thread: