Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,512 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Why I Didn't Quit Sooner?

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't quit sooner because I was sure that I would fail and I honestly didn't think that I could cope without cigarettes. When I came to this site, I had started my quit but I still believed I would fail....but then I saw that there were so many other people like me, that were afraid to quit, that had smoked for years and they were doing it....or they had already done it. I started to read more and more about this addiction and realized that I didn't need nicotine to cope. Parts of this quit have been mighty stressful...but there are times I realize that I am actually more relaxed (i.e. out a evening meetings, waiting in line at the supermarket, staying late at work) because I am not dying to feed my addiction. Soo....why didn't I quit earlier? I didn't think I could. Now...if only I had tried earlier.......... Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 938 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $230 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy: "When I came to this site, I had started my quit but I still believed I would fail....but then I saw that there were so many other people like me, that were afraid to quit, that had smoked for years and they were doing it....or they had already done it." --------- You've said it all, Windy! Thanks! :) nmc [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 64 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $320 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump ! :) Congrats, CobenFan, on your 7 months quit! :) nmc [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 621 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $310 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy don't look back, you're not going that way, you're doing it now and that's the only thing that counts. On with the quit one day at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 137 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,061 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $548 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote]This one is easy for me Chris. I didn't realize smoking was an addiction and so my attempts at quitting were just that 'attempts'. Once I realized "what" I was actually dealing with (addiction) I began researching smoking cessation and "Knowledge is Power." I learned how to quit. I tell others "I outsmarted my addiction." I wish I would have researched sooner. Most of us grew up thinking it was just a 'bad habit'. All the best~ N2K[/quote] DITTO! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 167 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,024 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $668 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$54,493.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 3

Minutes: 15 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the bump NMC. CobenFan, Congratulations on 7 months! You've come a long way and we are so proud of you! Thanks for letting us be part of your quit journey. Danielle ___________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ex-Slave - I agree with you that people don't quit because of the way they KNOW they will feel, it's extremely UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!! And it can be difficult. Altho a craving never killed anyone....... P.S. I quit on March 25th, so am a Smogfree Shamrock. I am glad to be here with you regardless of when we both quit. You're doing just wonderful almost at 40! :) Cheers! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 215 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,664 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $752.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 610 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I always knew that I should quit, but I was afraid of the cravings. I did not want to have to feel that way. Gee, think that should have alerted me to just how addicting nicotine was?..to how addicted that I was? And when I did try some half assed attempt, I was doomed from the start. I was only kidding myself. If I made it 2 days, it was a miracle and then I really had NO intention of staying quit. I had to get serious about this quit. I've been to the beach and back two times. You have to truly understand that you can't have one puff ever. YOu have to understand the coping techniques, your triggers, how to use self talk, distraction, and arm yourself with knowledge about nicotine addiction. As someone else on this site once said, (I think it was Lady), quitting is not for wimps!! Congrats cobenfan!! You were one of my May company quitters until I reset my meter, so I have watched your quit and been inspired by you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/20/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 984 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $135 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
  • Quit Meter

$90,822.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 3

Minutes: 15 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sure we have all asked ourself the question - "Why Didn't I quit Sooner?" For me, I can say that I just don't like to have someone tell me what I need to do. My competitive nature actually reacts better when I am told I CAN'T do something! My mind automatically says "Oh Yeah?" just like when you're 10 years old -- Have you ever had someone tell you, "You Should Quit Smoking". So many people who tell you this first of all HAVE NEVER SMOKED, so to them, this is like giving up caffeine. There are also some people who are former smokers and tell you that you should quit but that's all they say. They offer no advice as to where to start, how they accomplished their quit, only that it's bad for you. This is all common knowledge to smokers right???, they know it's bad, they know they should quit - even as they inhale, they agree. Maybe if I had known about the SSC sooner I would have tried to quit much sooner than I did. I am a big believer in the fact that you can't go back and change things, you can only move forward and make improvements on yourself through the experiences you have had and what you learn from others. I rely on myself to make changes in my life and am my own worst enemy and best friend. The SSC offers insight into many member quits candidly and in detail. People appreciate the honesty and advice they receive here - everyone is an individual, but we're all human. You have to WANT THE QUIT!!!!! So many times when I read other member posts, I think how nice it would have been to have landed here sooner. But then again, ya can't go back............... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 610 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $122.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
18 years ago 0 663 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't quit completely earlier because I was afraid. I was afraid of being alone, not fitting in somewhere. I was afraid of being afraid. I was afraid of people discovering that I was afraid. It doesn't even make sense now to think of it. It was the control the addiction had on my life. I didn't know how to cope with life without smoking. Like many here, I started young at 11 or 12 years old. I think those are crucial years in a child's development. I was very impressionable at that age. I just wanted to fit in somewhere. I had just switched from a catholic school to a public school. I remember being so nervous. Smoking got me in with the rough crowd. The addiction tricked me into thinking I was fearless when, in fact, I was very fearful. I didn't live the life I had dreamed as a boy. I lived the life of an addict, relinquishing control to a weed. Giving my life up to a drug, a soul stealing substitute for a dream. It took me losing a girl (again) to finally put it in black and white for me. I wasn't even quite sure why, at that time, but I knew that I must regain control of my dream, this life, from my addiction or I would be doomed to keep repeating this very unpleasant cycle. Thanks for asking this question, Christine. I got off track a bit, perhaps, but to more directly answer your question... I guess I just wasn't ready to grow up yet. It hurts a bit to admit that. Life or death, live or die. There is only do, there is no try. choice puts the free in freedom. no hurries, no worries. keep on keepin' on - fish [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 130 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,921 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $650 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1

Reading this thread: