Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

How do you deal with negative people?

14 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
goofy,

Thanks for the sound advice. I'll just skip certain posts  if I feel I can not handle it and if I come across a post or someone whose negativity is starting to make me feel negative I'll just step back dust myself off and move on to something more positive, like working on doing some pleasant activities. I'll try to help where I can and realize that I can not help everyone and working the program and getting well has to be my main objective. I guess I really need to start working on my boundaries again.  I guess working in the health care field for a long time taking care of people makes that Florance Nightingale come out in me. I am glad that we all have a place to go vent when necessary and be negative.  I also feel we need to try and stay positive so that we can beat this depression.  Thanks again goofy for listening and helping in a positive way.

Sid
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I posted this in the other post.  But I avoid.  I think negativity is drama.  I don't like it; don't want it and minimize it in my life.  I find myself feeling negative and I do what we all do, pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and keep going 'til the next time. 
I have a friend, I just told her that I can't handle being around all her negative things - doesn't nothing ever go right in her life?
I also use gratitude - I think Sid or someone (sorry if not giving credit where credit due) said "I got out of bed this morning".  I can remember those days when I didn't.  I also try not to personalize or take on someone else's issues.  Sometimes posts in here can get negative - very very negative - I back away, stop reading, move on - regrip; and I am glad that person has a place to do what they need to do; say what they need to say and when I can respond,  I do.  I also am grateful that I have a place to go to let out my "negativity" at times.  And appreciate the care, concern and support here - but please, don't let my negative things drag you down - skip me; if need be. 
I say it's easier to let someone drag you down than it is to pull someone up.  Make sense?
Wish I could have thought/done that 5 years ago - Hey, we are on a journey and we learn and we learn and we learn.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sid,

As Ashley responded in the group discussion thread, this is a very interesting discussion topic.  In fact negativity can be contagious. Do try what she suggested, to deal with the negativity as you would a negative core belief. Assess the validity of the negativity.  What do you do now to cope?  What are some ideas you have?

Members, how do you deal with negative people? What strategies do you use to avoid picking up the negativity of others?

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The one thing I have learned from my activity tracker is that negative posts and negative people affect my mood a great deal which can take me from being in a very positive place to a very dark place.  Does anyone else have this problem? And how do you deal with it?

Sid

Reading this thread: