Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Does anyone experience this?

14 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know what you mean about waking up in a bad mood. Sometimes I just wake up, and immediately feel horrible without any provocation. Especially after good times, sometimes I feel despair that they aren't meant to last, or that the good day I had is done. I don't know if sleeping/dreaming can also bring up some things from the subconscious that trigger these feelings.

I also understand when you talk about getting used to feeling cruddy, or okay at best. Sometimes I forget that maybe I'm really sad and upset until I see how other people act. I feel trapped in my own little solemn bubble, and it's hard to remember that maybe things aren't supposed to feel that way all the time.

I guess that's why complaining can be good, with action. There are problems that need to be brought up, even if they aren't easy or quick to change. It's just really draining when things don't get better soon enough, but it's good you pay attention to your problems so you can have the chance to identify them and make them better.
14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Waking up is hard to do Dunner.  I HATE mornings.  I wish I could sleep all day.  It's funny though...the days I do sleep all day I feel good but if I do it too much I start feeling more depressed. I really think the more I laze around the more depressed I get.  Waking up is really hard for me but after the first hour if I am busy I kind of forget about it.

I really have to push myself though......Some days are better then others.....

I think complaining is good.  I always feel better after I talk but I am often pushed to talk about it.  I don't like rehashing though. I know my ex would always rehash old arguments...sometimes it is best to let things go...but i think in your case you just need to talk it out....

Anylizing doesn't help me at all.  I simply try to enjoy the little things and distract myself.  MAybe that is the wrong approach but I think it does help.  I often think too much and your right it can get confusing.

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It took my family a great deal of time to accept the depression.  They didn't understand how I could laugh and be depressed.  They didn't understand the masks we sometimes wear.  I don't get the irritability that some get with depression.  I've always been a positive thinker and I see that coming back more and more.  I do get in my negative thinking mode and I know I am depressed more so than I am "normally" (at this time).  I don't think people see us as weak or suffering.  I think it is very misunderstood disease and that as a person with depression I belong to an advocating group.  I don't know where each of you are from.....but strongly suggest that you get involved.  My t-shirt from there says.  KNOW MORE, NO STIGMA, KNOW NAMI (the org).  I understand if that needs to be beeped out.  I wear that t-shirt proudly and it does explain what NAMI is on the back.  I have no need to feel ashamed or weak or less than a person because I have depression. 

I used to think I was weak, less than, a loser, and a whole host of other things I could list here, but it was just the depression and by working this program I have worked on ridding myself of these negative thoughts (they are not true).

14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a great thread, and great discussion. Dunner, you brought up a great point, reading others stories and having feedback is important and helps us all to learn and grow.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on feeling happy or sad? 
Please share your experiences with us

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thank you to everyone! Reading others stories and having the feedback has been very nice and helpful.

14 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I don't need to be happy, I just don't want to be sad, angry and dejected, isn't there a middle ground? somewhere?

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think in the society that we live in, we think that having great days are normal, but our emotions also have a sad and irritable section also. I think depression is when we end up feeling guilty for those feelings. I do wonder who I am all the time, the happy me or the irritable me or the sad me?? I don't even know. But what ever we feel it is us at the moment and we still need to love ourselves, regardless of what feeling, positive or negative, we are expressing.
Maybe I've been depressed for so long so I sound pretty negative, but we all have the right to feel sad and mad. But of course we always need to strive for when we are happy because that is when we are "productive" and "pleasant". 
Yes, I just finished going through a divorce, so this is a comment from a recently divorced person, but others, even significant others will rarely understand what it feels like to be depressed. Maybe even more because they don't want to see us suffering or looking "weak".
Your last paragraph brought tears to my eyes because I always think that.

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dunner,
I also agree with Ashley and can relate to some of the things that you experience.  As Diva said, I have good days now too, I'm thankful for those and know when the bad ones come along, I can get through it, though it is frustrating.

Sleep, I had difficulty getting into the right stages of sleep due to the meds I was taking.  I think it is important to let your doc know that this is going on, my doc was able to help me.

I take mood stabilizer for my depression.  It is the only thing after many trials that we have found that has been effective.  I have tried many meds, but have not personally had one to become ineffective but my doctor has told me this is a real possibility. That anti-depressants can work for a time and then slowly quite working.  He wants me to be "on the look out" so that I don't go as far down as I was.  I also recently found out that hormones can affect the effectiveness of some anti-depressants and mood stabilizers.  It is so very important to let any doctor you see know what meds you are taking even if over the counter, herbal or otherwise.  

Wow, I can so relate to overanalyzing.  I seem to want to know "why"?  And the answer is because I'm depressed.  The hardest part of the depression (in this recovery phase) is accepting and acknowledging my depression.  Also recognizing those negative thoughts as they creep into my brain.  this program offers excellent information to help identify those thoughts and teaches what to do with them. 

Keep in mind that if you don't take care of you, that there is no pleasing anyone.  You have to take care of you!  

I hope this helps to know that I can relate to some of your experience s and I know that working this program has been essential in my getting on the road to feeling better.  And when I need to, I go back and re-do a session.

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Dunner,

First, I want to say I agree with Ashley 100% What she said is so true!

Second, I understand going to bed after a pretty good day and waking up sad and feeling low. I have had that too.
As for mood going south for no reason. I experience that too! The way I see it though is that at least I have good days now. There was a time where I had none, I had all bad days. But that is me! Now I cherish the good days and deal with the bad and feel happy I had the good ones! I can get over this and so can you! I definitely feel better then I used to and if I can do it, you can do it too!
As for being angry to have to get up, ditto, have had that too!
As for anti-depressants, I tried many and none worked for me really till the one I started taking this year. But I know it is possible to get better without meds as I had done it before this relapse. But I havenèt had an anti-depressant work at first then stop (not yet anyway) since none worked till now.
I have taken a mood stabilizer with an anti-depressant before. It did not help me. But that is just me. We are all different and need to find what works for us. All I can say is if you feel the need give it a try with the help of your psych doc and see! It might help!
As for your psych doc, tell her everything you know or feel or whatever symptoms you have. Even if you feel like you are whining. You are NOT whining. You are giving her importnat and valuable information that she needs to help you! And btw, I like to adress issues too so I get it!
As for thinking in circles and making yourself confused, been there done that. This site and the program really helps for that, how to deal with your thoughts!
I wish, I had really great advice for you. all I can say is I understand you! And the only advice I have is seek help. post here often and work the program it is really good! Hang in there, this too shall pass!
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dunner,

Thank you for sharing.  I am sure many members will post and share their expereinces with you soon.  The only thing I would like to say is that you are not just a crabby person.  It is the depression.  The guilt you feel for feeling depressed only compounds the problem.  Try to remember that these feelings are not you.  It can be very hard to not put blame on yourself especially when others just don't understand; but we do understand and there is no reason to feel guilty.  You are trying to find help and taking steps towards making your life better. 

Stay strong,

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: