Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Exercise as anti-anxiety treatment.

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Both great activities - yoga particularly has such a great effect on calming the mind and releasing tension.  Hope you recover soon so you can enjoy both!
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very good point!
I myself,have not done the normal walking i am accustom too,due to exccesive heat here,and unable to medicaly at this time,but as soon as the weather changes,and i am repaird..i plan to join a water aroubics,and yoga class...i have put on to much weight this year,and i do need to tone my body more..thanks for the reminder!
Bren
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There is increasing evidence that aerobic exercise (like cycling or running) has significant anti-anxiety and anti-panic effects.  Tissues that are metabolically active in the body - including the brain- are better able to handle lactic acid build up.  The brain becomes more efficient at removing lactic acid that can damage regions in the brain involved with fear.  More studies are being done in this area in order to determine how specific exercise training can be targeted as anti-anxiety therapy.

Members, do you make time for exercise during the week?  How does exercise affect your symptoms of anxiety or panic?

How do you (or can you) incorporate activity in your day to day life?

Maddock, Richard.  Scientific American.  Panic Attacks as a Problem of pH.   Retrieved from:http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=panic-attacks-as-ph-problem.  Retrieved on August 4, 2012

Reading this thread: