Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Help!

12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie, I'm glad things are coming smoothly. Maybe he will help you guys get used to those changes because he's so cute and comforting. Just like babies... I don't know how I'd be able to clean up puke and diapers if I ever become a mother but I hear that that becomes a natural once you become a mother. Good luck!
12 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Anerol, Great advise that is exactly what I did. I sectioned where my washer & dryer is which is a pretty spacey area in my home & put a small gate. There he has his wiwi pads in one corner & in the other corner he has his food & his bed as well. The good thing about the Bichon is they don't shed hair thank God. It has gotten much better. He is also doing better at night. I guess since we have never had a puppy before we had no idea what to expect but I guess it does get better. My husband is also adjusting & he adores Buster. I have gotten rest the last 2 nights so my anxiety has also gotten better.

-m yes they do bring joy & I am sure it will be all worth it. Like I said before it's just something new for all of us and you know how people like us handle change! ( LOL ) 

Thanks all,

Maggie

12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My guys would be upset if I took their crates away... they love to curl up in their "caves" ... I did take the doors off so they can come and go as they please.  My beagle likes to bury treasures under her blankets. Pets are a lot of work, but they sure do bring such joy ... 
Ps. Of course, don't forget to remove the cage once he's trained.
Hello Maggie, 
Dogs don't like to sleep in their bathroom so the quickest way to train them is to make a little cage with their bed and their potty in it, side by side. Eventually he will want to pee and will pee where he doesn't sleep. Make sure to praise him with a high voice and give him all your affection when he does it right. And when you need to scold him do it in a low voice and keep your face above his face and look him in the eye. If you can section off an area of your house that would be even better, maybe for your husband. You can ask your kids to help you out by brushing his hair to prevent shedding and cleaning his bowl area everyday. Good luck, I know it's a lot of work but they are worth it. 
Thank you all for your input. The puppy is a Bichon Frinse I hope I spelled it correctly. Well, I did get the puppy for the kids & we have to adjust for a few weeks while he is being trained. I can tell you it's not easy. I did have a long conversation with my husband & I guess the lack of sleep affected him as well. Hopefully, in time it will get better. To see the joy in the kids face with the puppy is priceless. I will take the advise on doing some relaxation techniques & know that this is temporary & he will grow older & hopefully it will get easier.

I will keep you all updated. Thank you for always being there..I'm off to work now..have a great day!

Maggie

12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello maggie,

This does sound like quite the challenging adventure. I would recommend  doing some research on obedience or dog training courses that you can enroll in. Take out books on how to train dogs from your local library so you can ensure that this dog will be well trained. Once the hard part is over, you can start to enjoy the new company or member of the family.

Keep us posted!

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Maggie, did you mean "Yelp"?
I hope you’re well. Did you think of keeping the pup outside, or does your hubby need order outside too?

I’ve never had a pet, though.  I wonder if my fear of intimacy has been negatively impacted by my “pet” rabbits becoming stew once a relative had helped us do some home renovation?

12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
divorce your husband...?  Just kidding.  Hi Maggie... it is good to hear from you again, although I'm sorry this situation is causing you stress.  Does it help to know that having a new puppy is ALWAYS stressful?  And is most stressful for the mom because it usually falls on her to take care of everything?  I can so relate to your situation.  My husband really gets freaked out by critter dander, hair, accidents, food bits, excrement... etc., etc., etc.  and HE was the one that wanted these dogs... we have two dogs and two cats.  It fell to me to house train them all and still to me to clean up after them.

Does it help to know that you are already doing what you can for the puppy situation?  Crate training is absolutely the way to go.  Do you have a trainer or friend or someone who has crate trained before to support you through this?  You won't get to sleep through the night until the puppy is older and has more control.  Although... it really should take about 2 - 3 weeks to fully house train a puppy that age.  It could be sooner... depends on the breed and temperament.

As for the anxiety... perhaps accepting that it is what it is and you are doing everything right??? Renew your relaxation techniques, remind yourself to breathe, lock yourself in the car and scream at least once a day???  You have my deepest sympathies.  Try to remember that this too shall pass but it will take a good while.  

One more thing and this sounds contradictory... but, if your marriage can't handle the strain of a puppy... then perhaps it would be best to either return it or find it another home.  When you have a family, surviving that first year of puppyhood is really tough if you don't have a supportive partner.

Good luck!
Hello everyone, I need some help here. We got a new puppy on Monday who is less than 3 months old. We basically got this puppy for our boys who wanted one. We have never owned a dog before. The thing is that I had no idea how much work this has turned out to be. The thing is that my husband has ocd and the house has to be spotless. So this is creating me some anxiety now since the puppy is here. My husband is saying he never wanted a puppy but he flew to Virginia to pick him up for us. We are trying to crate train this puppy & I know it will take some time to get trained but in the meantime I have not been sleeping through the night and when I don't get much rest it creates some anxiety. My chest feels tight & I am extremely anxious & tense. Any advice on what can I do?

Reading this thread: