Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Panic Attack symptoms & stroke

13 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie,

glad things are going good for you, this very thing happened to me once about 6 months ago, the left side of my face and hands were tingling and i felt a little dizzy, the first thing i worried about was a stroke so off i went to the ER and they did a batch of tests and determined of course that it was anxiety, however strokes are life threatening and i would rather go the hospital 10 times and be wrong then not go once and be right.

your friend Debi

13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie,

Thank you for posting and stopping by. It is great to hear that you are feeling very well. You bring up some interesting points about the physical symptoms of panic. Take a look through session 7 of the program, this session will go over the panic cycle and provide an overview of the panic symptoms.

What sessions of the program have helped you?

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie

The big difference between what we feel and a stoke is how we lose oxygen to our brain and get dizzy. In anxiety it is usually by stopping breathing or breathing to fast. In a stroke it is loss of blood to the brain because an artery is closed off due to a clot or pressure on an already restricted artery. There is one of these in the area behind your ear that effects your frontal lobe that can if restricted cause panic like symptoms. The name for this escapes me. I have had a lot of pain in one side of my head because inflammation in my neck was compressing an artery. It never became a stroke because it couldn't completely close it off. Scary though and painful. I would have been more scared if there was no pain.

I'm 60 and on blood pressure medication so you see this would be a concern for me. 
I imagine you are wondering if panic attacks can cause strokes. The answer is, not in the healthy. There is a potential for such in the very old who are not fit but the average person has no problem. Because of the the increased heart rate and blood pressure I would be more concerned with aneurism or heart attack, but again only in some one prone to them or some one very old. I imagine your God mother is on medication now so this doesn't happen again. I hope she is fine, and you are fine. 

As an aside, because I'm in lousy shape right now a lot of these questions go through my head. CBT has allowed me to deal with them so I don't become a nervous wreck camped out at the ER.

Here for you,
Davit
13 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I have visited the site. Thank God I have been doing very well. I wanted to ask some of you if you have ever thought about this. Yesterday, I went to my cousins baby shower and I saw my Godmother who is in her late 50's early 60's and I found out she had been in the hospital she had suffered a stroke! I know she has been under a lot of stress for quite some time now. Her mom has been ill, her husband had a bad accident she works as a teacher for a middle school she tutors math. I asked her what were her symptoms & how did she know she was having a stroke. She told me she was driving too work in the morning and all of a sudden she forgot where she was going and she could not remember how she got to the school but she did make it there and when she got to the school they called 911 and she was taken to the hospital. She does not remember any of this. After a few tests they determined it was stress related.

What got my attention were the symptoms. How many times when we go through a panic attack do we feel light headed? dizzy? confused? numbness? etc..how would someone like us that suffer from anxiety/panic would know the difference? This has me thinking now. 

What's your take on this?

Maggie

Reading this thread: