Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Myth or Fact?

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi.

I am at the point where I have a hard time remembering how bad the attacks were. I will never forget that they were bad, very bad but visualizing them? No they are for the most part a distant memory of a really bad time.

Here for you, 
Davit.
13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Boy, this triggered memories I haven't had in a long time.  I can't allow my mind to go back there, it is too painful and I immediately start to hyperventilate and get a knot in my throat, like now, so I'll stop.
I've had the paanic attacks that immobilized me - that was when the incidents that created all my PTSD were happening at that instance, so the intense fear and panic attack was real.  Those are over - thank God.  But I can't think about them and I was very careful who I allowed into my life after that until I did major healing work.

My last panic attack was in B&N a few weeks ago.  We had a phone call from a client that triggered it. I tried to do breathing exercise but I was too far gone.  The tightness in my throat, the hyperventilating, and the heaving like I would vomit came on too quickly. Luckily my husband was with me and I was actually able to walk over to where he was and tell him. He quickly put down his book and took me outside for fresh air and to talk about it.  He got me focused and I was able to calm down at that time.  It became more of a controlled attack after that and I knew I would eventually fall apart again. I could feel it in my nerves - still shaky.  When I got home I had to pace up and down, up and down for a very long time, my mind felt psychotic, and I couldn't sit still.  I thought I needed to go to the emergency room or check myself into the psych ward - I haven't had one like that in 6 yrs.  I was able to get ahold of my psychiatrist 's office and just knowing he would see me first thing in the AM was calming enough.  He changed my meds around and gave me Rx for Xanax.  I had put off getting that type of med but was too afraid it would happen again.  Just having it on me and knowing it is there is help enough, so far.
I know why it gets triggered but still can't figure out how to handle situation since I can't talk back to the client the way I would like.  The way they speak to me makes me feel like they're an abuser talking to their child instead of being calm and talking the situation out like two equals.  It's mom belittleing me all over again. I can self talk and I understand it logically, intellectually but the emotions still rise up.I have learned to wait until next day so the person calms down. Although even the next day my husband finally hung upon him.  I think I mentioned this incident on another posting here. And we tell them we cannot let them abuse us or talk to us in that manner.  If it happens again with same person, we let them go and lose the account.  Our well being is more important to us. Well, I've rattled on, sorry. I guess this was cathartic!
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I remember both of those fears during my panic episodes....if I were  in a busy environment I'd worry that I'd have to run outside, maybe vomit, or pass out...something embarrasing... If my panic came on me while I was in bed sometimes I'd feel immobilized, like my blankets weighed 1000 pounds and I couldn't excape my own bed.
But you what I like about writing this post? these are just  memories to me now...I have not had any panic in months..Ya hoo!
Juanita
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  One thing I hear a lot is losing control means going crazy in a store or crowd of people, running out screaming.
Sunny
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Myth: If I lose control during anxiety attacks, would it lead to paralysis?

Fact: Some people during a panic attack believe they are going to "lose control." Presumably, they mean that they would either become totally paralyzed or not be able to move, or that they would not know what they are doing.

Helena, Health Educator

Reading this thread: