Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Topic: Expressing yourself creatively, Part II

14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I'm feeling bad or have negative thoughts coming to my mind I pick up my guitar and start playing. It distracts me from having bad thoughts that sometimes could lead to a panick attack. I've also picked up the guitar when a panick attack was starting and it seemed to have just gone away without increasing. My suggestion is to try to do an activity that you really like doing and it will make you feel better. I would not watch tv though but that's just me, just because you're just sitting there and not doing anything physically. Although it may be a good distraction for someone else but not me.
14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's great sweatbee!  It would be great if you could share some of your paintings with us through pictures.  

What are some of your favorite baking recipes?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 122 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Josie,

I like this topic, learning a new craft is a great stress buster! I was never good at painting or drawing
            but at a particular time in my life when I was dealing with a lot of stress I decided to teach myself how
            to paint, I went to to store and picked up a donna dewberry learn to paint book and started that
            day. I was so involved in the learning process that I didn't even notice my anxiety or stress!  Now I just
            turn the music on and focus on my project and feel the stress melt away!!! and when I'm done
            I'm proud of what I have accomplished, so I also get a self esteem boost as well!!
            I also get the same result from baking for friends and family!

sweatbee

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

Recently, we’ve discussed expressing yourself creatively as an outlet for emotion. Often times, many buy into the idea that being creative involves talent. It doesn’t. Many famous pieces of artwork or paintings were considered “odd” or “ugly” when first introduced. You also are not required to display your art for scrutiny. Here are a few tips to help you get started on expressing yourself creatively:

°          Get inspired! Inspiration often comes from beauty. Take yourself to the museum or an art gallery. Browse pictures online, look at your own. Go to a park, whatever works best for you.

°          Foster creativity by changing your space. Pick a spot in your home and fill it with things that inspire. It can be as simple as using a cork board to pin pictures cut out of magazines or adding a few plants.

°          Keep practicing! Even if all you can draw is a stick figure, keep practicing perfecting your stick figure. Also go out of your comfort zone and experiment with shapes, materials and other. Take a class or head to an arts centre.

°          Make it part of your routine. You can’t yield great results if you don’t invest the time. Set aside some time once a day, a week or a month to express yourself creatively.

Are there any other tips for getting creative out there?

Reading this thread: