Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

any success stories?

11 years ago 0 542 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunny and Davit.

It was so wonderful hearing from both of you again! Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. I am trying to remain more positive and I am glad it its showing. My husband is having surgery next week so I am remaining positive about it and will try to remain strong to help him recoop, that incident, thank God, is over, I am glad I studied about it and knew what to do.

My throat is healing slowly Sunny, I try not too talk or strain and it has helped, I have always had a raspy voice, I am thankful its a bit better. You asked me "what happened" Davit about the positive thoughts, I guess I would have too say is the program, prayer and not dwelling on the negative thoughts, I am just so happy its better and I hope and pray it continues and continues!

I still have my moments. The panic is under control, I now am working on leaving the house more and ignoring bodily symptoms, two of my issues. I need a new couch badly, its being held up by phone books! So my goal is too go out and get one this week, I wish I had Sunny and Carmie nearby too help me shop and pick one out, I bet you both have great taste!

I started walking the dogs again which is a positive, and they love it. I just am taking "one day at a time" Thank you, Deb.
11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deb:  You were awesome!  you kept your head and knew what to do.  Yes, you should be very proud of yourself. We all are proud of you!  Glad hubby is o.k. now.  Hope you rest your throat and it will be alright soon.

Sunny
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Debora

What happened!!! These are the type of positive posts we have been asking of you for so long. Have you noticed a difference? You should. See you can do it. And yes I am still following every one. I'm looking for more of this type from you. Sorry for the pressure but you know it is the answer.

Davit.
Thank You Carmie and Ashley, I just saw that you posted me. I am glad I was able to keep a clear head and help him, he is having surgery next week so I have to step up too the plate again and help him, when I help others it takes my mind off myself.

Its been hectic but I have been able to function and I feel like I am a bit better, one day at a time. I miss you Carmie and I am so glad you wrote, I hope everything is well and the running is going good, please let me know how you are when you can.

I am sorry SillyBilly I did not see you lower post, I guess I was excited about what I did. Yes it is possible to overcome agorophobia, I understand what you mean about "perimiters" I can go to the stores close by but I get nervous going farther, I take it in baby steps, like a short walk around the block or a car drive around the neighborhood, a little farther everyday, would that help? I have had this off and on, its wonderful you went to the University for two years, that is very very good! Davit has good advice I see about it, he is very helpful. I hope you and I both can combat this and get much much better!!
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kind of proud of yourself?! Be extremely proud!  

You did a great thing and you didn't panic.  This is great!  How does it feel knowing that you took control of your fear and won when you needed to?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sillybilly

Yes people do overcome agoraphobia and I probably know some of the same people Ashley does but for different reasons. There is only one limiting factor on how far you can travel. Well two really. Money and health. If I had both I could travel the world. Physically I can't and I don't have the money. I've had agoraphobia a lot longer than five years too. Pain limits me to around 450 - 500 Km in one day.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Debora, you are AMAZING.  I am so impressed by your story and so glad that your husband is doing okay (Thanks to you!!).  It seems natural that your adrenaline levels would be very high after such an experience and since the adrenaline isn't helping you to be active and life-saving - it may be causing unwanted symptoms and leading you into the panic cycle.  I hope that you've learned some good techniques to get out of it.  Actually, I can tell that you have.  We just need to keep practicing what we've learned.

I am so happy to read your post.  I have gotten out of the habit of visiting the site but I do think of everyone often and I am so glad that I checked today!!

Best to you Debora!!
Hi Ashley and Everyone,

I have never posted here before and it feels good to do so. I posted you Ashley on another forum about my progress, but it was a few days ago. I have somewhat of a "sucess" story and I wanted to let everyone know and how I got through it.

Sunday night my husband and son went to a fair, they got home late and my husband was not feeling good. An hour later he had a diabetic serious episode, I had the phone in my hand to call the paramedics!! He said no, he was sweating and so weak he did not know where he was at, I  ran and got him candy and orange juice, made him a sandwitch and doused him with cold water and put him under a fan, he recovered fairly quickly, if he did not I would of called the paramedics, maybe I just should of anyway?! He did not eat much all day and his sugar was very very low, he said I "saved his life" I dont know about that but I got through this WITHOUT panicking, and it was a serious situation, it makes me feel good I helped someone else and did not think of myself, of course I was a little shaky and upset afterward, I guess anyone would be but I got through it and helped him, I guess I am a little stronger than I think. I wanted to share this. I know everyone would want too know this, it was not easy or pleasant but I am happy I remained strong. My husband has health issues also too like me.

The only downside is I kind of yelled that night, to bring him "around" and wake him and I strained my vocal cords and I am very hoarse again which is kind of scaring me, my voice was doing real well for awhile and know I know I strained my throat and cords, I am going to try not too talk much again, and my leg is tingling bad, but I am trying NOT to dwell on these symptoms, I am praying my voice comes back and the leg heals, it was the one I had phelbitis in so I am concerned but trying not too dwell or get panicky. Just trying to focus on getting stronger and healthier. I am kind of proud of myself for what I did, I am hoping and praying that things get even better, its been a long long haul and I so long for healthy happy days again for myself, for all of us! Thanks Deb.
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sillybilly,

I know for a fact members here have overcome agoraphobia because we have witnessed their journey.  I won't name them as I would rather have them come forward themselves if they are comfortable.  However, take a quick look through our forums and you will find plenty of success stories.

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Is there anyone here who has been able to overcome agoraphobia who has had it for more than 5 years? and by overcome, I mean going from being housebound to being able to drive and go to work maybe up to 25-30 km or something. Like a fair distance without help.... and on a routine. 

Not saying anxiety went away completely but has anyone been able to function to a satisfactory degree again? 
I've had this since i was about 16. I trained myself out of it at 18 went to university for 2-3 years. these last 2 years have been kind of rough. 

Reading this thread: