Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

anxiety management technique & cure...

11 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
You judged correct that fear & guilt is a core belief that I have built.You now know about me that at this young age I have left my job due to anxiety/depression.Actually I have now closed myself in dark room and being isolated myself from the outer world.I have now become hopeless.Thanks to my wife & parents who are constantly encouraging me to stand again for a new life & challanges ahead.
Right now I can only say I am trying to crack the walls of fear & guilt by talking with my close,motivating myself thru reading spiritual books & yoga.
But really wanting to get thru this tough phase.
Thanks again for your concern & support.

rohit
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I figure that during a lifetime a person goes down a number of roads they don't want to. So it means starting over again or at best finding some good in where you are. This is why we say here the past is only for the experience and lesson, not to be lived in. It is hard not to since a person tends to replay mistakes over and over, usually making them worse than they were. It starts out as a survival thing. A lesson and that would be fine if we left it at that. Also the mind plays different versions so it can become worse than it was or not even true in worst cases. A person can think something about themselves so hard that it becomes true. They can think someone else thinks something about them even if it is not true. This is not a disease, just a random replaying of all the possibilities on a thought. This is why people see things differently. Add to this trauma which blocks memory and something can be very far from true. Or just a little bit, giving it different meaning.

Anger slows down the thought process leaving a person with only half the information or less to work with. So a person says things that they don't mean, and things that aren't even related. Anything to get relief from the anger. Often if not always being sorry after. But anger is necessary to relieve tension. Carrying anger with you is not good. Taking it out on someone else is not good.

The answer for me is to go somewhere quiet and do something mindless while I look at the reasons I am angry. I like to see if there is justification for my anger. Some times there is, sometimes I'm just tired, and sometimes I don't have the whole picture. This last one is bad. Especially if it involves someone else. 

I once carried anger for many years because some one made me look like a fool. It coloured my future and left me with a false picture of people. (only partially false) It happened twice more before I realized it was not my fault. It probably happened more than that but is not remembered for some reason. The thing is that I should have let it go and chalked it up to experience. Instead it built a core belief that I built more on top of.

And these core beliefs are still messing up my life even though I know what they are and how to deal with them. Something that has been in my memory most of my life is very hard to get rid of. But this is a wrong road I'm on and I have to get off it. There are only two ways to do this. One is to step off it and start over, the other much better one is to backtrack changing what I can and hopefully it will be enough because just stepping off means I could and will at some time step back on.

There are anger management courses but they will do no good if all they do is teach a person that they have anger. Group therapy is only temporary if all it does is let it out. In this case it is little better than a pill. The reason for the anger has to be dealt with. (not with a weapon in a class room either) The past can not be changed, but the memory of it can. This a person can do. The longer it has been there the longer it will take to change it. If it was very bad it can become PTSD in which case we are into a whole different way of dealing with it since this is anger with no apparent reason.

Personality disorders are like drowning. You tread water till you can't any more when all it takes is something to hang onto to keep you afloat.

Davit.

rohit, I think this fear and guilt is a core belief you have built that is controlling you. If so how will you change it?

Personality disorders are sometimes becomes disturbing elements to us.I feel very angry on myself that what has happenned injustice with me in my past.I tends to become angry & disturbed due to it.I would have responded to the pupil who used to insult me & put me on pressure.But due to fear I was unable to do it.Now I feel guilt & anger on myself that have I faced the situations without fear,I wud have been in my job.
Fear-I seriously want to get rid of it.
Why do we fear?Can we come out from it in a serious manner?
any suggesstions guys?

rohit131
Davit,
Thanks  for your response;it is just like a ray of hope in darkness for me.

rohit131

rohit

For every action there is a reaction. Some are planned. That means simply that when something happens there is a natural reaction. These are a collection of things installed from learned processes from childhood with new things added on. This being the case they can be relearned to change them. Some things such as worry usually carry a frown as facial expression. But confusion can also carry a smile as facial expression which reduces the power of the act.

You may well have worry as a personality or confusion or basically anything. It will be something you have built over time and installed over time. This installation will have come from your surroundings. A family tendency or worse being told you don't fit the family profile. 

If you read Attachment theory you will see how personality is developed. You will also see that it can be changed. So no, you are not stuck with the way you are. You can change if you can overcome your core beliefs and they can be very strong.

Autosuggestion is a process normally used for physical but can be used for mental. It says that if you think you are well you will be and if you think you are not you won't be. In extension it says that if you want to be something bad enough you can be if it is physically possible.

Confusion is the process of blocking memory so that a question goes round and round looking for an answer.
Trying not to worry only keeps you worrying longer. It also increases the tendency to worry. This combination wastes time and reduces efficiency. Accepting you are worried allows you to move on to why you are worried and ultimately what to do about it. This is where building new core beliefs comes in. Starting with believing in yourself. (autosuggestion) This builds a new core belief to counter the old one with.

Normal people and cured people use coping skills automatically. It is in the case of normal people only that they do not have core beliefs counter to what they want and cured have built the ones they need.
As for thinking at the speed of light, we all do it, just that some of us get stuck thinking on the same thing. Break the cycle by distraction which can be as simple as looking at the floor.
Yes you should start now to build a solution. Learn some relaxation and coping skills and build some new core beliefs.
A mantra is a good way to build core beliefs as well as distract and cope.

Davit
rohit

my internet is not working right, I will get back to you.

Davit.
Davit,
You used the word automatic.It made me to think that I do not do things automatic.I remain in a state of confusion & disturbances.After that I do some work for which I am not confident & worry about the results.My facial expression & style of work reflect that worry.So the work is not done automatically & at speed of light.I feel lot of internal disturbance while doing some assignment.I sometimes blame external factors for that;but a normal person is unaffected by all such factors and he does his work with a clear stand on what he is doing.Should I believe that this is my real personality & it can not be improved?
But really I want to improve.Should I start developing some specific solutions for such "disability.
How should I guide myself for improvement in this specific area?
rohit131
rohit

That is a good question. I have reached the point that what ever I'm doing in specific situations I am doing it automatic. Not to say that what I am doing is all good, some of it shows up as anger when it is a situation not of my making. Also since I have very little dealings with other people since I don't work anymore and even when I did I saw few people what I did wouldn't be relevant.
When it isn't automatic and calls for my input then I use what ever relaxation and coping skills I have developed specifically for me. Visualization and debating with myself work well. We can give you ideas but you have to pick out which of them will work for you.
In a work situation it is necessary to focus on the immediate problem and let the surroundings go. If you are a taxi driver or an equipment operator this is not totally possible so the job becomes very tiring. Especially if you stay attentive during rest periods. All of my jobs required attention to my surroundings which is so much different from an office job. Unfortunately I have carried the habit over into my domestic life and it has left me edgy in noisy or busy situations. I find it very hard to not notice what is happening around me. You can not sneak up on me no matter how hard you try. I was getting over this but it is coming back again. It may be due to the amount of time I spend in my shop with power tools. It is very easy to hurt oneself there.

If a person is continually looking at how they are performing in the surrounding area or compared to others with the intention of catching every slip before it happens then they will develop a negative attitude due to the fact that they will expect failings to be there. And there will be. No one can be perfect all the time. Fatigue sends the mind down wrong pathways to wrong parts of memory. It does this by giving you fewer choices from past situations and some of these will be wrong decisions. This is what happens on drugs or alcohol. One drink may sharpen your senses by limiting the choices from memory allowing you to think faster but at a certain point things fog from lack of information. People drink for this reason not realizing that they are drifting over the line into this state of too little information. And then they start to like that sensation of no cares. Yoga and meditation can do the same thing with one advantage. You can stop doing them and go back to how you were instantly. You can go in and out of this state as often as you like. Not so with medication, drugs or alcohol. Self hypnosis, derogatorily referred to as navel gazing is a good way to get free of the surrounding over load.

One thing My Therapist was adamant on was that it take medication to counter the effects of medication. This sounds horrible and the beginning of a Catch 22 circle. It isn't. It means that Caffeine in coffee being a drug needs another to counter it or you have to ride out the effects. Caffeine is another of those drugs that sharpens the senses by limiting information. Unfortunately later on the gates are all open and too much information gets through leaving a person edgy. 

Anxiety can be a poison in more ways than one. It can lead to the depletion of calming chemicals in the brain which in turn leads to more anxiety. CBT gives the brain time to replace them. But it can only do so much and it is slow. So some people replace these chemicals or modify how the brain uses them. But again like any drug or alcohol they can be abused. It is too easy to just take the pill and think all is well. It takes a certain attitude to do meds and still do CBT et all.

I know people who have mastered the art of not being distracted. Lucky are they but they do miss things and they see things different than I do. Then there are those that can turn it on and off at will. Now those seldom suffer from anxiety unless it is a major crisis. 

Davit
Anxiety is like slow poison to our physical & mental health.It slowly incorporates negativity to our mind & body which further develops roots of depression.This poison slowly captures our thoughts & then disturbs the pattern of thoughts.
Our thoughts then starts converting from positive to negative.Medication rarely helps in controlling of thoughts.
CBT,self help & alternative therapies provides a certain level to manage our thoughts
Kindly share how u guys maintain yourself in negative circumstances & how you manage your anxiety in critical conditions.

rohit131

Hi loves trees

No it makes perfect sense. I have a cautious personality, I might have more than one personality or a combination of them. So this could explain the increase in the number of people with stress. There is just too much stuff to be cautious about.

I've had some dangerous jobs and I'm alive because I was cautious. But some people thrive on danger. Here every year we have a few people die high marking with their snow machines. They seem so surprised when they learn that an avalanche slips all at once, not from the top down. The ones that survive anyway. Yet they keep doing it. Just like bungee jumping.

You know I think cautious could be mistaken for a lot of things. Anxious, not paying attention, angry, stupid. The list goes on. I'll have to learn to smile while being cautious but then the two don't go together so I'd look like an idiot.

We are not alone, just sit in front of a grocery store and look at the expression on peoples faces. Not many look up and fewer smile or wave. Sunny shops alone and I sit in the car if it is a big store. Lots of time to people watch.

No worries for sure.

Davit.

Reading this thread: