Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

First time challenging your thoughts...

14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi StephenT,

Good for you for taking control while you were going through such a sever attack!  How does it feel to know that you can take control in a situation like this?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Had an attack for the first time in about 2 weeks. The situation that I found myself in was simular to my last 'severe' attack only this time I think I took control early and managed to minimize the anxiety.

This being said, during the attack I tried to keep positive, but negativity and  fatalism seemed to win over by a slight percentage. I didn't try to avoid the situation, but let my self know that I could do what I needed, do it well and that 'this is where I want to be right now'.

By the way, I love this site. It's encouraging to know I am not alone with this problem. I have also found wonderful tools to assist me that I have been trying to put into practice daily! Thank you all!
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah, at first I kept the ten questions, a pen and paper handy at all times to help me challenge my thoughts on paper on the spot. Now I just do it in my head! You are doing great Zoe, keep it up!
15 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad I got to give someone a smile, Zoe

At first, I kept the pen and paper handy so I could do thought challenging on the spot (keep it in your purse or pocket, one of those handy-dandy little notepads).  Now I don't use the pen and paper, and the thought challenging is automatic.  The way I started to deal with challenging thoughts, is I write down what it is I'm thinking.  Then under each, write a reason why it is, or isn't true.  For instance, say I'm walking down the street, someone glances at me and it begins the attack.  "They think I'm weird", my reply "Why would they think I'm weird, we never met, or talked or anything but passed each other".

You're doing it right.  Whatever fearful thought you have, challenge it.  It's a pain, but hey, no pain no gain!
Cheers.
15 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This story made me smile, and ive been seeing so much now that its just giving it a try over and over again if you have to and one day it will all just fall into the right place,untell i found this site ive not had any advice from anyone so always thought that i wasnt going to get better because ive tried so many times and nothings worked, so thanks again everyone x can i just ask about the challenging thoughts though cause ive not quite sussed it out yet, say for example ive decided that im gonna try and walk down the street and my first anxious thoughts are im gonna panic and people will see me, so to challenge this i say something like "theres no reason for me to panic, ive been down the street plenty of times and nothing has happened, and why would anyone be looking at me as if they have nothing better to do?" and then just keep saying it to myself untell i believe it or do i have the challenge thing all wrong? lol
thanks zoe
xx
15 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The original post made my day!  It's okay to fail sometimes because that is how you learn!  Great post!
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Jhori,

Thanks for the great post! I find this to be so true. It takes practice but it is so worth it. I still have tons to learn on this and I keep at it just because it helps so much!
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jhori,

I loved this post! Thank you for sharing with us. I hesitate not to move it to success stories as this is such a great realization that we all need to learn. Try and try again, pick yourself up, wipe your knees off and get back on the bike. 

Members, If challenging your anxious thoughts doesn't work the first time, don't give up. If relaxation techniques, box breathing or goal setting doesn't work the first time, keep on trying until it does.

Thank jhori! Great post!

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I got to thinking, I've been agoraphobic for a long time,  and had anxiety even longer.  What happened the first time you really challenged the thoughts?  And what happened the first time you challenged your attacks?

I've tried several times to challenge my thoughts, all of them only this year. I've failed more times then I care to count, so I won't....anyhow, here are the 2 major fights:

The first time, I had this sheet of paper, which I got from my first therapist back in February.  Don't have the paper right now, but I'll post what it said later in this post because it points out exactly how I challenged it.  Anyways, I was in my car, driving from one work spot to another, and I just had a PA.  Had the typical aftershocks for agoraphobics, began thinking everyone hated me, etc...then I went through the steps on the piece of paper, and I tried to change my mind to something else.  A song was playing, "Jack Johnson - Go On", I just began making my own lyrics to the song.  The song came out terrible, but it took my mind of for a few seconds.   Then I went straight back into my anxiety.  Figured I failed, but I kept trying anyways with this same technique.  It kept giving me a few moments of peace, but as always I went back into anxiety and feeling like I failed...I felt like I was sticking my finger in the hottest part of a fire and trying to convince myself it was cold!  Like I was an idiot for even trying.

That first time challenging it felt like such a failure, and so did the countless amount of times I tried to do the same thing for WEEKS after.  But I kept trying just because I had to do something, and I didn't know what else to do.  Little did I know at that time, it was helping my next step... 

The way I dealt with my first attack, was after doing the above for about 2 months, hadn't had a PA for 3 weeks!  I was talking to a friend at work, and felt it coming on.  Tried as calmly as I could to stop the attack, but it happened anyways.  Right there, mid conversation with my friend.  The attack just started, and I thought to myself...it's happening, duck it (with an "f"), I'm going to let myself feel whatever I feel, react however I react, and just make note of it.  I felt all excited inside, my mind was racing, felt "tingles" all over...I couldn't concentrate on the conversation, so I did a quick-cut answer "cool, well I gotta get back to work, take care".  Then did a panic rush to my desk, decided I wanted a cigarette then began a Scooby-Doo panic rush around the office with the same friend...went to go outside, saw my friend and panicked again did a quick change in the direction I was heading...she did the same for some reason, probably a reaction to my actions...we both did this same thing at least 3-5 more times as we kept running into each other for some reason.  Rofl, we must've looked so damn strange doing that.  Finally I somehow made my way outside, had a cigarette, and reflected on what I just felt.  The a strange feeling happened, I became exuberantly happy, because I got to see what an attack was like.  Then posted the (shortened) story on this here board.

I've come to the conclusion that, you just gotta be like that kid that is learning to ride his bike, but crashes 100 times before he gets to travel the distance of one measly cement block on the sidewalk.  Then try 100 more until you travel the distance of 2 cement blocks.  Don't give in, no matter how much you want to, no matter how hopeless everything is. 

Hell, be the that brat little kid that says nothing but "No" to what anyone says, and keep saying "No" to every one of your thoughts.  Sounds and feels crazy, but really you're not, you're fighting for your right to be freeFree and able to do what YOU want.  Free to feel good, free to feel happy, free to feel...whatever you are feeling, and let that be the end of it. 

Reading this thread: