Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Intrusive / obsessive thoughts.. OCD like??

16 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't think I have OCD, yet I do definitely have obsessive thoughts that really freak me out. I imagine the worst things happening.
16 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone . Do agree feel worse when tired . Dazedmommy , i actually find cleaning helps me when i start getting 'the feelings' etc .
16 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Georgie..(and everyone else too!) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sometimes I find there is just no rhyme or reason as to why it starts up.. but you're right it's worse when I'm tired, "run down" or that time of month (sorry if that's too much info..lol). I like you just have to give in and do what needs to be done. For me it's cleaning.. or having things in order. I don't do things repetatively.. and I have obsessive thoughts to contend with.. but it's all the same just different actions to ease it.. Thankfully there is somewhere like this to share stories and learn from one another.
16 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i've experienced similar things. i find that the ocd gets worse when i am tired. also, sometimes i find it easier to just go with the thing instead of challenging it, eg if i am about to go to bed and feel like i have to switch the light on and off a certain number of times, i do so if it's going to end up with me lying in bed not being able to sleep and eventually having to get up and do the light routine. that said, it's also good to challenge ocd thoughts.. i'm still working on that part!!
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DazedMommy, Have you been journaling your thoughts and feelings? It's always a good idea to share your journal with your health care provider. He/she will be able to make appropriate suggestions specific to you. It's also not recomended to come off your meds without seeing your doctor first. Try not to be too hard on yourself and take some time to regroup now and then. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. I can relate to you all!! Michael.. I related to your scenario most as I remember being at a hotel and staying very high up..and all night I kept thinking what if I jump?? That upset me terribly...as I was there for a celebration, feeling happy and the thought was so random and stressful.. I like all of you just talk my way out of them..... but sometimes it's more challenging than others. Again, thank you all for making me feel "normal".. lol... whatever that means :)
Michael definately worse since having children . I used to go on any crazy ride there was and loved it . Now *shivers* just cant . I imagine them breaking and me being a tangled wreck and who will look after my kids properly . Dolphin im nodding away with what you are saying !
16 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi DazedMommy! I was actually dx'd with OCD along with my panic disorder .... so I know exactly what you are talking about .... my big thing is illness right now - if I read or hear about some illness I have to wonder if I have it - or if I will get it? ... then I usually end up in a nasty panic attack over it .... Sometimes in my early panic phases I will feel like it is hard to breathe or hard to catch my breath - I right away assume that I am about to have a heart attack or something and my obsessive thoughts just make it worse ... I actually went to several Dr.s before I was dx'd with panic/ocd because I actually thought that there was something horrible wrong with me- I have had so me tests ran and had at least 5 er visits this year alone - in March I had already hit my insurance dedutible and out of pocket limit ... lol!! .... lucky for me all the test came back fine... but because of the OCD part of it, I obsess over the results "what if they missed something" , "what if they are not sure what they were talking about" ... "maybe there was a tumor or something hiding behind something when they did the CT scan" .... just stupid stuff like that - and that usually sends me into the really bad panic attacks ..... somedays I want to scream - because I "know" that these are stupid obsessive thoughts - yet I can't keep them away - and it really ticks me off!!! ... lol!! = ) sorry for going on! .... but wanted to let you know I know how you feel!! :)
16 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Dazed Wow those thoughts are so much like my own. I'm wondering if having children somehow makes us worse. I've had thoughts about hurting those I love and yet I would never ever do it. I remember visiting Niagara falls and thinking god what if I through my son over or jumped myself. I actually backed away from the viewing pad. Needless to say the rest of the day was me being anxious about having such horrible thoughts. On the more positive side the Dr. I see once every few months laughed and said "the most ironic thing about those types of thoughts and people who have them it that they are the least likely to follow through with them"...he assured me that it was simply the whole anxiety/OCD ball of wax so to speak.... If I read about someone who jumped off the Don Valley viaduct or something like that I think "will I do that" or people who have a bad experience with medication..."Will that happen to me"... A little trick I have is simply asking myself..."have I ever done that before? Or...have my meds ever done that to me before? and usually the answer is no. This helps to bring things into perspective Sorry for the longish diatribe but honestly in some strange way it makes me feel better that others have similar experiences and the fact that we are concerned about it means we aren't the type to do it. Michael
Hi DazedMommy , not exatly like you . But similar enough . I have horrible visions of things that happen to the ones i love . Espically when kids are at school . School is just behind me and a couple months ago heard a helicopter and saw it was a medical one . It landed in the school , now my two littlest attend that school . The feelings i had were awful , i grabbed my dog to make out i was walking it to see if it was one of my kids !! I can be out walking and i imagine one of them or me slipping off pavement in front of a csr or a car coming on the pavement . Tell myself off when i realize what i doing . Saying that i sometimes help my mum at her chipshop . If im frying i sometimes think what if my hand went all the way in the hot oil . I sacre myself when thoughts come in my head like that . I just walk away do a huge deep breathe and start again .

Reading this thread: