Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,523 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

major panic - is it the move?

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Carmie:  When I read your post re:  live in the moment, you reminded me that's what I want to do too.  I believe it to be the best way to live.  Thanks.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JD, I am happy to read that things are getting more peaceful in your life.  I would love to be able to take Yoga - at my gym it is always offered in the middle of the morning and I think it would be odd to leave work for an hour to do it - but maybe that's what I need to do.

One of my New Year's resolutions for myself was to live 2012 in the moment.  I would make a concentrated effort to not live in the past or worry about the future too much.  There is something wonderful about right now and realizing this is the space where we live our lives.  I am much more at peace when I remember this - because most of my anxiety lies in what might happen 5 minutes from now, or next month, or in 5 years.  When I stay focused on the present, there is much less worry.

Keep us posted with your progress good news and anything else you'd like to share.  Everything helps.
12 years ago 0 66 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone,

Thanks Carmie for your helpful tips and suggestions.  I think the height of my anxiety has come and gone, which makes sense because it happened with the move and moving is considered a significant stressor.  Last Friday during the day at work, I was quite anxious and very attuned to my feelings and thoughts.  However, because I had plans with friends that night, I was able to focus on that, relax and have some fun.  The weekend was pretty good - I enjoying some time with friends and family.  I definitely experienced anxiety most when I'm on my own, and generally has to do with uncertainty and questions of whether I'll find my path in life or not, and be happy.  I have troubles figuring out if I'm on the right path for me or not.  I like to think that theres a grand master plan out there, something bigger than us all, that is leading me on my path, and all I have to do is trust.  Easier said than done, but I'm trying...

I've started doing yoga again, to get into my body and concentrate on one thing at a time.

Thanks for the advice,
JD

12 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
carmie,

Some great suggestions on your part! 

Justducky,

What is a relaxing activity that you could enjoy this weekend? How would it make you feel?

Sonia
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi justducky!

First of all, I am sorry that you are in a period of such high anxiety.  In fact, today I am in a similar boat with you.  Here is what I am planning to do.  Maybe we can both try and we'll check back with each other.

After you read through a few of the Sessions, you have something available to you called an Advanced Anxious thoughts worksheet.  This is something that is used with the homework but it also works, for me, to help when I have anxiety and when I might have an attack. The worksheet helps because it gives me a moment to say "Okay, what are my physical symptoms right now"   Then you have to ask yourself clearly - "What are my anxious thoughts right now".  We then have to think about the evidence that exists for these anxious thoughts and the evidence against the anxious thoughts.  Do you know which form I mean?  Finally, there is an opportunity to come up with some alternative thoughts.  Those are the thoughts that help to get me through really difficult times. 

But sometimes - questioning anxious thoughts isn't the best technique.  There are a number of relaxation techniques that we have available.  Right now, I am going to make a cup of tea.  I am going to put on some relaxing music and I am going to do something called Box Breathing.  Let me know if you don't know what that is, Justducky! 

I have confidence that I will be able to get through this period.  We talk a lot about how our physical health can impact our emotional and mental health.  In my case, I am battling a strep throat infection and the antibiotics, I think, are making me nervous. 

Justducky, please let me know how things go for you.  After I try the three things I've mentioned, I will share, I hope, some good news.

Carmie
12 years ago 0 66 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey everyone, long time no talk.

I just moved out of my parents suite a few days ago, and since then I've seen an incredible spike in my anxiety.  I didn't sleep well for 2 nights in a row, and i slept better the last 2 nights.  The last two days, i've been so close to having a panic attack.  I'm at such a high anxiety level that i feel so spaced out, like Im on a different planet.  I've also been quite teary daily.  I don't know how long I can handle this.  Trying to be optimistic.  Focusing on work is really hard.

Tips, suggestions??

JD

Reading this thread: