Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Am I having panic attacks?

6 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My first symptom i had from my panic was heart palps. I did some research and realized that they were not dangerous and that everyone has them every once in a while. 
REMEMBER THIS:
Heart palps are not dangerous. the most important thing i read was this, accept them. Accept them as if they are simply just a hiccup. Treat them as a hiccup and that its just a part of you and that it is not dangerous! Lemme know if you need more help!
6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask if I could possibly be having panic attacks and not knowing it?

The symptoms that I'm having are mostly racing heartbeat and heart palpitations. When I say heart palpitations, I mean that I can notice my heartbeat, and sometimes it feels like it is beating out of order and skipping beats. Sometimes my heart wakes me up early in the morning (say 3AM) beating fast and sometimes it makes it difficult to get back to sleep.

But the heart palpitations are not permanent. The last episode started last week Friday afternoon and it is now Monday afternoon. They are about as bad now as they were on Friday afternoon, although they were generally better over the weekend. They never went away completely over the weekend.

So why am I here? I'm at my wits end with these palpitations. I have had them for about 18 months now. Last year, I saw an endocrinologist and cardiologist about them. They did a full battery of tests, including blood tests and heart function tests. They could find nothing to explain my palpitations and did not observe them. The cardiologist in particular was very unconcerned, basically his attitude was well you aren't having them now, so not an issue.

So there is nothing physically wrong with me and yet they persist. I've tried experimenting with my diet, eating more or eating less, or not eating this or not eating that, and nothing really seems to be correlate with them.

Stress might to a certain extent, but even that I'm not sure about. I had a stressful event on Sunday morning and that definitely made them worse, but that also doesn't mean that stress causes them. Sometimes they happen when there is nothing stressful and nothing that I am fearful of. I never associate them with anxiety. Sometimes I have had episodes of severe stress and/or anxiety but no palpitations.

I don't know for certain whether I have an anxiety disorder, I thought perhaps I'd ask the experts here.

Other information that may or may not be pertinent - I had what I would call a traumatic childhood. My Adverse Childhood Experiences score is 4. I have seen mental health professionals in the past, and did have been to more than one psychotherapist. Two of them in particular really helped me. I am not seeing any mental health professionals now. I do at least 30 minutes of mindfulness meditation every day. Sometimes this slows my heartbeat, but doesn't stop the palpitations.

Reading this thread: