Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,524 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

New & In Need

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Lifeless,
This is the place to come for learning how to rid yourself from anxiety/panic...its all in the thougths..changing them from negative to positive. I know, you're probably saying"well, that sounds simple"..and it is...but that guy on the  horse said it way better than me ..."Its the hardest easiest thing you will ever do".... Thats the truth. And its so worth it.
the CBT program has taught me how to challenge my negative thoughts.....I'm now at the point that I hardly have any. Like today..I had some very intense dramatic dreams last night...this morning I said to myself.."wow, do I have a great imagination"  See, a positive thought....a few months ago I would have laid in bed worrying about why I dreamt that way... Not today, today I'm up and at  it...and you will be too...soon, after learning the program. We are all here for eachother, post as much as you like..its a really good place to rant!
Juanita
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Lifeless

Welcome. I am one of the free, like sunny I no longer get panic attacks. I prefer the word free to cured. Once you have panic attacks you can never go back, you always have the potential to have them. Notice I said potential. The program gives you all the skills you will need to stop that potential from happening. It is like this if you break your leg bad it will heal with time and you will use it and even forget that it was broke. Unless you look for it. Then you will remember you broke it and it will bother you. You can build all kinds of negative thoughts about it or you can be glad you still have it and think positive. Panic attacks are like that. It really is learning to see the positive instead of the negative. So what does this have to do with not being able to do the things you want to? Well actually every thing. It is all right here in the program.

If you have been going through the net you will have noticed there are a lot of so called cures that are really only ways to cope in certain situations. They never give you actual freedom. Stick with us and that is what you will get. You can never go back but you can go forward with out it controlling your life. And that is a very good feeling. You may even find yourself doing things unrelated to panic that you never thought you could do.

Easy for me to say hey, you don't know me. I'm just a guy sitting on a horse.
Truth is I'm a guy sitting in a chair with a broken leg who has just had an operation to have my teeth out and has Chronic Staph infection on top of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

The Arthritis is in remission, the Staph under control and the leg healing, the teeth need a bit longer. I should be a wreck popping pills to get through the day but I'm not. I have control of my life and I will not let panic rule it. There is still some anxiety but it doesn't control my every action any more. Yes I know My body will never let me go back to the way I was. I look at the guy on the horse and realize all I have overcome to get where I am today. I have totally different  hobbies that fit in with what I can do still. I am going forward instead of trying to live in the past. That is my freedom.

I don't know what your medical problem is, it could be worse than mine. The program will reduce or remove the panic it causes and allow you acceptance and control. It works.
You can join me and sunny getting up every day looking forward to what the future has to offer instead of dreading it.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lifeless,

I'm very glad that you found this program. It has the potential to really help you with your determination and effort added in. Sunny has given you some great advice. I also encourage you to do the program and keep posting. You will find much support from other members who have very similar experiences to yours. What you are feeling is normal after a set-back. Be strong, start small and acknowledge your successes. It takes time.

Keep us posted! We are here for you.

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello lifeless:  Welcome!  Glad to meet you. I hope in time you can change your name to "lively" which is a positive rather than the negative.  I say this because this CBT Program is based on changing negative thoughts to positive thoughts.  Part of our problem with the anxiety is that we tend to think negatively all the time and that has an impact on what happens next.  I do hope you start the program as soon as you can, take your time with each lesson, everyone can study it at their own pace.  I found that the coping techniques such as the breathing exercises and relaxation exercises the best for me.  Often before attempting something I was fearful of, I would do these before leaving the house and could use the breathing technique when I felt anxious.  Once those are in place, when you feel comfortable doing these exercises, they are a great backup during any situation.  I remember practicing these every single day, morning and evening, without skipping.  I did get discouraged every now and then, but kept at it.  It may not take you  long, but I felt it took awhile for me to really understand how to do them.  Of course everyone is different and you may not find these as helpful as I do, but you never know, then again, you might.  I hope you give them a good try.  You will find lots of helpful and insightful posts on the site.  Read the past ones too.

I like to think of all of us as "living" with this disorder rather than "suffering" with it.  It is more positive.  Keep the faith and know that we are here to support you and cheer you on.  Hope to hear from you again soon.

Sunny p.s. I no longer have panic attacks, so does CBT work?  You bet!

13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seven years ago I developed some medical issues that left me housebound for a few years. My medical issues are embarrassing and supposedly are controllable with medication. I am now on several medications but so far, things are not back to normal and I don't know if they ever will be.
It got to the point where I was so afraid of having my medical problems be an issue in public, that it turned to constant fear. Now, I very rarely leave my home. I have managed to go back to work but other than that, I rarely leave the house.

I have lost my independence and self-respect. I want my life back and don't know how to get it. I am hoping that this program will help me.

Last year, I started to make more progress then I expected. I was still a long way away from being normal, but I felt that I was getting there. Then, one day when I was out in public, anxiety slapped me in the face. It was unexpected and it happened somewhere that I had been going to regularly. I'm still trying to get back to where I was when I had this set-back and am afraid that I never will get back there. I am even more terrified that I will never get my life back. I have already lost so many years (and at a crucial time in my life) and so much experience that I can never get back. I'm not sure what to do anymore.

I am praying that this program will help me. I will try anything, I just need my life back.

I hope that we can all support each other and I look forward to seeing you all on the other side of this program.

Take care.

Reading this thread: