Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

HELLLOOO!! I am new... as you can see.

14 years ago 0 122 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Nazababy,

Welcome to the Site! The program will be very helpful to you, just take it one step at a time. And I too have
had issues with the driving,over the years as well as other things, so you are not alone! wishing you success.
14 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nazzababy,
No, those aren't 'weird' triggers at all!  I'm sure many of us can relate quite easily (I know I can).  That whole passing out when driving fear was the biggest trigger for me, too.  
Seriously, this program is great for facing and dealing with that feeling and if you take baby steps, you'll be able to regain your confidence with driving.  In the past year, I went from not being able to make a 10 minute trip into work because I developed such an intense fear of turning left or going through an intersection...I thought I was going to faint.  Now I can actually go out of my way to drive in really "nasty" areas just to challenge the anxiety. 
The big thing that works for me is the part where you challenge your thoughts.  That, coupled with abdominal breathing (not upper chest, but expanding the belly when breathing) really really helps.  Then as you gain some control, you distract yourself with something - looking a pretty tree, listening to music, etc.
So, hang in there...you are not alone and you can move forward! 

14 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nazababy,

Hang in there. It means alot to me to know that there are others out there that have simliar challenges that I face daily. I too have a phobia of highway driving and of taking medications. I am currently seeking help via Psychiatrist and small dosages of meds. Weigh your options for treatment because gladly there are losts of them. I hope that you begin on you path towards feeling better soon :)

AMJ
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Nazababy!

You have come to the right place.  No one here will think panic is just something you can turn off.  

Begin by working your way through the program.  You will find it to be a big help to you.  Also, be sure to read and post often.  We have a fantastic group of members who are here and can listen and support you.

Have you talked to any one else about your symptoms?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Nazanin

I have one important question for you and I want you to think about it real hard. The things that trigger your panic, are they things that bring you pleasure or/and things you really want to do.

That said, welcome.
Davit.
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wuzup. My name is nazanin.. 26 and I am an EMT student. I have been experiencing panic attacks since I was 18 suddenly and I still have no idea why. Im sick of them. :) Anyways. I have weird things that trigger my anxiety. I have panic attacks when im driving on the highway or around a lot of cars( normal) but my biggest fear is to pass out. Other things that trigger an "episode" is if I feel any different then my "normal state" ex: any medications, I do not even take Tylenol, I feel like once any drug is in your system, there is no way to escape. So i don't take anything. If I get too hot, too cold, too full, too much caffeine. All of this alters my state of being, and triggers fear in me. and I panic. I am in school to be an EMT, and blood and gore never bothered me before. Till i began as a student, now when I even see a picture of it. I get a panic attack, which has prompted me to get rid of this crippling disease. I feel like I am completely alone, cuz people dont understand it,. They think it is something you can control, and they think im crazy. so I keep it inside. Well I am tired of doing that.. so here is my confession. My name is Nazanin, and I have panic attacks :)

Reading this thread: