Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,565 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DeeTart, PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE

Hello, my name is llama

14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Stay stong and keep posting!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your welcome.  Everything you have said makes perfect sense - I tell it to myself 100 times a day - yet still cannot seem to get anywhere.  I began the program yesterday and hope that it will help me begin to heal this terrible disease. 
14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Llama,

Welcome to our wonderful support community and thank you for sharing your story.

There are many people within this support group that share the same questions and concerns as you.  We are all a group of individuals who support each other.  

Please take the time to review the program and the tools and resources available to you. Work sessions have been created that will assist you in understanding the condition better, as well as devising strategies to help you overcome your concerns. It is strongly advised that you work through the program and sessions for a successful outcome.

Being fearful of doctors and medical procedures is not uncommon. The fear of receiving an unwanted diagnosis is also understandable. However, if you can start to allow yourself to get regular check-ups you will feel more at ease about your health. If somehow something of concern is detected, the chances of successful treatment are better upon earlier detection........don't you agree?

Please continue to strive forward and lean on us for support.

Faryal, Health Educator

14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi llama,
Just to let you know that in my expereience, fear of doctors (and dentists) seem pretty common, especially for people who don't go often.  Men are especially bad for that I hear! My heart used to race and pound, the hands got cold and clammy, I couldn't eat before an appointment, my blood pressure shot up, etc. as I was always thinking of the worst outcome. Medical tests weren't any different. But for me, the more I went, the less anxious I felt each progressive time. The more I put it off, the greater the anxiety when I did go. Exposure therapy at work I think. This last year, I have had all kinds of medical tests, some of which I initially really dreaded or was embarrased to take. Now the anxiety is a small fraction of what it was as I got used to them.  The anxiety goes down when the tests come back fine, right?  Well, in the case where something does show up (like it did mine), know that the earlier the doctor catches it, the better and again the anxiety goes down as the doctor can ususally treat it way easier. I'm sure you know that.  If you just avoid doctors, the fear just plays games mith your mind and whispers things over and over that most likely aren't true, and it's really hard to relax. Hope this helps. Sorry for the long winded response.
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hello everyone - I hope I can find some help here.  For most of my life I have had panic attacks, depression and anxiety attacks.  90% of my problem stems from my fear of cancer and doctors.  I constantly am looking for and finding signs of cancer in myself - the catch 22 is that I am so terrified of doctors, if I do find a symptom I can't face going to the doctor to get an answer to my concern.  I do have a family physician and I see her about once a year - less if I can avoid it.  Anything to do with health issues, medical personel, hospitals, cause me to panic.  I am presently on two medications - Citalopram - 2 caplets daily and clonazpam, 1 tablet daily.  I try to explain my problem to her.  I don't think she quite understands how bad it is.  If I make an appointment for a checkup I am haunted by it daily, constantly.  I do get a mammogram every 2 years - I cannot explain how bad the anticipation of it and waiting for the results are.  The thought of having any medical test paralysis me, as I know the result will alway be that I have cancer.  My sister suffers the same way.  I have never heard of anyone else having this.  When I tell someone I'm worried about a health issue, they just tell me to see the doctor...which is the exact thing that causes my panic to increase.  I'm sorry I went on so long - I'm just so tired of living in fear all the time.

Reading this thread: