Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,523 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

Having Trouble w/ anxious thoughts

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brandie,

Anxious thoughts can be a tricky thing to manage because they are often unpredictable and can change daily. As you mentioned, many members report feelings of improvement are followed by more difficult times. This can be a struggle and can be scary to think that the answer may be 'yes' to some of those questions. However, by posting here and continuing to challenge those thoughts, you will get through this!

When you were feeling great for that short time, what were you doing differently in your life? Were there any daily habits that you had changed? Any new activities in your routine? Start reflecting on why this experience was positive for you and this will help you in identifying what you can do to manage these thoughts.

Members, what other advice can you offer Brandie on how to cope? What has your experience been with challenging your negative thoughts? Please share your experience!

Sarah
15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva! Hope all is well. I'm have been applying the 10 questions, but for some reason my anxiety has kicked into high gear again. I ask myself the questions and I get scared just thinking yes, i'm faint, i've been faint before but what if this time is different? I can't get out of my head that this time could be different. I think cause I was feeling almost great for a short time then it came back i'm more scared that it's something more than anxiety. Like tonight I have a headache and I hardly ever get headaches.
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Brandie,

I am happy to hear your anxiety is decreasing. I think it is great that you will print off the 10 questions. I find them so helpful. And once you have figured out  and challenged the thoughts that are adding to your anxiety it should help a ton. I know it helped me. So hang in there!
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brandie,

You mentioned that you experience high levels of anxiety in the morning before your daughter and husband have left for the day. What makes this time more anxious for you? Often the mornings can be very stressful for families because it can be very rushed and at times, chaotic. Is this something you find in the morning with your family? Can there be anything changed in your morning routine to make this time less stressful for you?

It sounds like you have been making a lot of progress in your life right now. Don't forget to reward yourself for those times when you are able to challenge your negative thoughts!

Continue to post and let us know how you are doing.

Sarah, Health Educator
I wish I knew what is was that makes me not what to face the day. I'm a stay at home mommy. I'm thinking just the same old routine day in and day out (kinda like the movie ground hog day, I've been told). I really should have went back to work right away after the birth of my son 18 months ago. Now I'm feeling like I have to get past this anxiety to be able to go back to work. I have noticed the days are getting easier. I still have bad anxiety in the morning for the first half hour after I get up, but then once I get my daughter off to school and my hubby off to work I feel pretty decent. Bored but decent. I'm going to print off the 10 questions and hang them on my fridge, that way I can look at them and ask myself. I really can't believe it but the feeling that i'm dying constantly has gone away about 50% from what it was 1 month ago. I'm so excited for that. I want to thank the Paxil I started about 2 weeks ago, and hope it continues to get better.
15 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi brandie.

Im too seeem to be anxious all the time too i just cant turn off my brain for some reason from all this thinking. I think the worst time for me is when i wake up in the morning cuz i have all this thoughs in my head that makes me anxious.
Now all i have to do is get up and try somthing new change my habits like stretch my muscle drink a glasss of water eat break fast and try to keep myself busy. Before whenever i wake up i just sit infront of the tv and the computer and i start thinking of scary thoughts like somethings bad going to happen to me and i start to panic. I just have to learn how to distract the mind and change my thinking to a positive thougths its hard to do it , but man im sick of all this thinking that im going to die whenener im panicking so im trying my hardest to fight this feeling. Just keep on fighting brandie distract youself i know its hard ,but wat else can we do is for us to try .so think positive and your gonna get somwhere trust yourself and you can do it....god bless brandie...

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brandie,

What is it exactly that makes you not want to face the day? Are you working? Do you enjoy your job? Do you have friends, family or loved ones surrounding you? What is it that makes you anxious?
Once you determine your anxious thoughts,  then you can challenge them! 
Below are ten questions you may find helpful in challenging your anxious thoughts:

The following ten questions will help you to challenge any anxious thoughts. When you have an anxious thought, answer some of these 10 questions:

1. Is it "true"?
2. How do I know it’s true?
3. Is it 100% true? (remember something that is 75% or 99% true is  
    not 100% true)
4. What's the evidence for it being true?
5. What’s the evidence against it being true?
6. Has it ever happened before?
7. What's different now?
8. If it were true, how bad would it really be?
9. What's the worst thing that could happen?
10. If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be?

Please feel free to add any tips or strategies you find helpful when trying to challenge your anxious thoughts.
Good luck Brandie!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

I seem to be anxious all the time. I have a hard time trying to write down my anxious thoughts. I'm not really sure what they are? I know when I wake up in the morning and feel anxious and dizzy off the bat, I think oh no not another day. Would this be considered another anxious thought.

Reading this thread: