Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,532 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

CAN WE COMPLETELY BEAT ANXIETY AND PANIC? OR WILL THERE ALWAYS BE SETBACKS?

8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi JAD,

It sounds like you are doing a lot of great work! I am impressed. Congrats on how well you are already doing. I am so glad you are feeling better. Thank you for sharing your success with us. 

Hi Kelleym,

I wonder along with you Kelley. I think if you feel you are overkilling it then you should listen to your intuition. How do you think you would like to limit your support group use? How can you make it work to your benefit as opposed to hindering you?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder if that's part of my problem, staying on these sites, reading and thinking about panic so much. I think it helps to see that others go through exactly the same stuff as me, but I may be overkilling it. I'm finding myself lately, constantly looking at anxiety support groups, but feeling more daily anxiety. I wish it were something I could just stop thinking about. Trying to get in with my counselor this week, think I'll let her work her magic instead of all the online research I've been doing lol.
8 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your reply. When I said stupid, I mean it's a fear of having a panic attack; a fear of fear. That's the worst because I feel so silly having it. 

I challenge my thouths with several tools my therapist has given me. One is a body scan since many of my anxiety attacks come from physical symptoms. I go through my entire body and pay attention to what is going on and appropriately label my symptoms. This has helped. I did it infront of the mirror once at work and I started laughing because although I was a bit lightheaded, there was nothing wrong. My crohn's has been pretty good. 

I never had panic attacks until about 3 years ago. Then I live in fear of having panic attacks. My therapist has helped me not make anxiety and panic the main focus of my life, that's why I been off this site for a while. Trying to get a good balance of when to deal with it, use the tools and when to just live life and not think of anxiety if it's not present. I feel much better. Taking it like crohns, I will constantly take care of it and accept it, but not dwell on it or allow anxiety or crohn's for that matter to run my life. 

Thanks again!
8 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kelly, You can definitely do it again and I applaud you for getting yourself even part-way to your daughter's game before you called for help. Try again and don't get discouraged. I am glad you will see your therapist. Don't get down on yourself, even if you don't make it to the game. This will pass and you'll get to a point where you can face the fears and anxiety and still get to what you want to do. You are brave.
Uggh, I had a panic attack while driving to my daughters game last night. Had to pull over and get a friend to drive me. Then had another a few minutes later. Now, I woke up first thing this morning thinking about the fact that I have another game to go to and will be driving alone. The fear of panic is the worst. I really don't want to fall into this pattern again. Trying to see my counselor ASAP, she tends to help me see how strong I've been in the past and reassures me I can do it again.
Uggh, I had a panic attack while driving to my daughters game last night. Had to pull over and get a friend to drive me. Then had another a few minutes later. Now, I woke up first thing this morning thinking about the fact that I have another game to go to and will be driving alone. The fear of panic is the worst. I really don't want to fall into this pattern again. Trying to see my counselor ASAP, she tends to help me see how strong I've been in the past and reassures me I can do it again.
8 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I understand how you  are feeling. I went 6 or 7 years with very little problems and I  had an attack at work. I then started having them more frequently and now I am on medical leave  from work. I went to my primary care doctor  today and  by the time I got there I was in a cold sweat. I have been dealing with this crappy state of mind  for over 20 years and I am so ready to lead a "normal" life. I used to want all of these different  things because  I  thought  they would  make me happy.  Now all I  want is to just be happy and peaceful. 
I too wonder this same question. I has been doing pretty well and getting on in life, then last fall I had a bad attack. Since then, I've had more daily anxiety than usual, the fear of another attack. Which in turn, causes me to go into panic attacks more frequently. It's like my mind's always thinking about my anxiety. I want it to stop so I can relax a little, very frustrating.
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi JAD,

This is a tough question to answer because it can totally depend on the individual and their life circumstances. I know many members here who have said they had not had panic attacks for years. I also know others who have had a period of time where they do not have panic attacks and then they seem to have one out of nowhere. If you are facing your fears, continuing to learn more about anxiety, learning to tolerate some experiences, stopping avoidance and changing how you think feel and behave then I think it can be very likely that anxiety will eventually have a minimal effect on your life. However, if for example you start avoiding or if a very difficult life circumstances triggers negative thought patterns to get out of control, then yes, anxiety symptoms can return. 

I think you have an added challenge as your are dealing with Crohn's and anxiety. I think a big part of your recovery will be ensuring you do all you can to manage Crohn's symptoms. I also think working towards tolerating and even accepting the very difficult symptoms of Crohn's you are experiencing may be helpful. If you are able to label your symptoms as Crohn's does this help the anxiety or make it worse? When you say you panic for stupid reasons, what are those reason? If you feel they are stupid it sounds like you will be able to challenge these thoughts when they arise? How have you been trying to challenge these thoughts?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been battling anxiety since I was 22. I'm 40 now. 

There are periods when I'm fine, but I think setbacks are common. I suppose it's how we deal with them. I wish I could offer you some great advice, but I've got nothing.

Reading this thread: