Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

How do you explain panic disorder and agoraphobia to family/friends?

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There is very good possibility that they will never understand. Some times it like telling a person born blind about colour. There isn't really an answer. If you were diabetic or like me Arthritic there would be no problem. Those at least are acceptable. All you can really tell them is that it is a condition, not a disease, that it is curable and you need space sometimes. As for people being triggers you have two solutions, one being rather drastic. Have nothing to do with them. Or learn to treat them in such a way that they aren't triggers. I started off the drastic way but ended up changing my thought patterns so they don't trigger anything any more. I can actually tolerate some very unpleasant people and their unpleasant ways.

Davit.
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm convinced one colleague just wouldn't use the mental health illness as the actual diagnosis, when he left. He told me, since I'd had an operation, that he had the same thing, since he figured I couldn't accept stress as the reason for his departure. I believed him, could relate, but looking back, it appears he just made the story up, to have my support. With a powerful stigma out there, if you told someone you had cancer, or something other than a mental illness, all you'll get is a better outpouring of compassion. It's not guaranteed though, surprisingly. I've never gone outside professionals, so it's been lonely, and it even has set up opportunities for abuse, because of that.
9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seen the Dr today and they upped my medication which is a blessing especially since this evening I am still trying to ward off a panic attack. Several family members have called me, either wanting something from me, or just seriously making my symptoms worse with their own issues/concerns. How do I explain to family or friends what is wrong with me and get them to understand so that they aren't a part of the triggers? I calmly just explained to the last family member whom called me creating worries for me, that I am trying not to worry myself about that specific situation and it didn't go over so well. I was actually hung up on. Now I'm feeling bad that I put it so bluntly. How do I get them to understand my diagnosis so they stop?

Reading this thread: