Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Small Set Back / Constant butterflies

10 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am also on citalopram too, same dosage. It takes time for the butterflies to go away. Sometimes I just try to think of something else.

I did realize something while reading your post. Do you take the pressure often? My Mom has to take hers but her dr suggested not taking it too often because throughout the day there are normal changes. So maybe do over do it?

As for the citalopram, it has made a huge change for me though I didn't see it until my husband pointed out how much better I am doing. Sometimes it takes an outside persons perspective :) I was actually thinking of going off all meds but my husband looked panicked and said, No!! lol, must be working then :)

My blood pressure goes up when I see my dr too. I wonder if drs ever feel bad about that :)

Sunflower
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a blood pressure monitor and after years of CBT I can make it go up or down just by thinking it. The only time it is accurate is just after I sit down and of course it is high then, it is supposed to be in a 62 year old man. When I first started taking a beta blocker I was so annoyed because my heart rate wouldn't go up enough so I could work. I was sitting down all the time. I adjusted to it and quit freaking out every time I needed to sit. Just like I quit freaking out every time it gets high working in my garden. I still get butterflies and other things. I ignore them as much as possible. Probably as much as a normal person does. And they are much less than they used to be.

I would say if you aren't complaining about the side effects of Celexa and you can work with just butterflies and abnormal curiosity that you are doing pretty good. And I'm glad to hear it. Patience, four months is not a long time in the span of panic disorders.

Please keep us posted

Davit
10 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone!  I have not posted in here for a while and I guess thats because I have been feeling pretty good until this past week.  

I started taking Citalopram 20mg about four months ago and it has greatly reduced my anxiety symptoms.  I do not really feel panicked anymore but I do get a frequent "butterfly" sensation in my abdomen multiple times a day.  Almost like I am always on alert and the fight or flight system wants to kick in but it doesn't.  Does anyone experience this?  Im pretty sure it is due to small amounts of adrenaline still being released.  It makes me concerned that it makes my blood pressure fluctuate which brings me to my setback...

So I have been taking my blood pressure regularly since I started taking the Citalopram and it has been pretty well text book most of the time.  I went to my doctors for a refill and he took it and it was 160/80.  Its always high there and I expected it to be high. However since this time I have been anxious everyday and worrying that its too high and these spikes are going to give me problems in the future.  I now find myself taking it all the time as a checking behaviour whenever I feel any sign that something is wrong ex/butterfly sensation.  Seeing as how I am in the healthcare field I have a blood pressure cuff and other diagnostic equipment at my fingertips which makes it hard to resist.  I am taking the next few days off work to try and take some time for myself and to spend it with my wife and daughter.  

I know I am catastrophizing and overestimating the threat but can not seem to stop right now.  I guess thats ok for a short while.  I know it is irrational and a perfectly healthy individuals blood pressure fluctuates into abnormal ranges on a daily basis.  Anyways I think I have said enough!  

I hope your all doing well!
Adam

Reading this thread: