Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

I lost a discussion I started...(plus venting)

13 years ago 0 122 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Just wanted to say way to go Anerol on all your accomplishments
you have made! Keep up the good work!
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol:  You did great starting a conversation asking questions of your guest.  and driving too, way to go!  I find being on my best behaviour and trying to make a good impression stressful because your guard is up all the time.  I think most people would feel that way too when trying to impress.  Glad the visit ending was better than the beginning. 
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,
They went home yesterday. Phewww! It was stressful but in a weird sense I enjoyed the change of air. One of the nights, i went downstairs and asked her a lot of questions about her job... and life. That was interesting to learn. On their last night, i was able to eat with them again. it was annoying but I still went through with it and i even washed the dishes. (I usually have a problem with taking care of the kitchen when other people are in the same room with me). I didn't get an anxiety attack at all that night.. just irritation. i wondered if i get more anxiety around people I like... because I try to look my best or something.

Today, I put my pride down and asked my support person to take me to the library. I was able to get all the books I planned to get and after we went to go get cat food. i was nervous but didn't escape even if it was still a short visit to the store. After, I went to try driving.. and i went down about 5 houses and came back. it has been 6 months since the last time I drove. I do want to be able to do it myself... since i don't want to keep relying on my support person.

Davit, yes, i have considered house sitting.. I just need to be able to get to the house and to the groceries if they need me too.. but that would be something like what i do now for my family. 

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol,
Good for you! And you even found dinner interesting... you dealt with it all great!
Cleo

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol

Did you ever consider house sitting. When people go on holidays they like to have someone in there house for security, besides there insurance is void if there is no one there. If you could house sit for some one it would give you a feeling of what it is like to be on your own with no outlay but groceries.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Anerol:  you did very well indeed.  You are a good person, let it shine out and meet people.  You show 'em what you are made of.  You're probably a lot stronger than you think, you just need the confidence to flex those muscles - you know, the smiles and the meet you halfway kind of thing.  You met them halfway by enjoying dinner with them.  Way to go. 
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Anerol

Good for you!! You are getting so much stronger and making real progress. You should be on top of the world right now. I am so happy for you.  You are one Huge step closer to freedom.

Red
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,
The whole day wednesday I didn't go down stairs and didn't see them the whole day which was great. But yesterday, I was over it and I was curious how I'd deal with them so I ate dinner downstairs with them. It was interesting to watch... I guess the lady is becoming more confused about me since she is not able to control me anymore. But I went with a big smile and greeted them with ease like nothing was wrong. I even conversated with her and after that, everyone started to relax... I guess they were afraid of me or something, it was a little funny... they were relieved that i wasn't 'hysterical' or something. And throughout dinner I was myself, if I felt anxious, I slowed down and i kept everything at my pace with no pressure. The way I dealt with the situation gave me some confidence. 

Red, In a sense I think it was good that she came... I think there was a lot of 'problems' in my family to begin with so her coming has brought it all out on the table. it's more of a realization for me about my family and if I do leave, it would be the reason of my family rather than her. Thanks for you input... I am still debating about it... see how things go after she leaves too.

Ashley, That's funny cause that is pretty much what i did... I gave them my 'kindness'... It was interesting to observe. I think if I do leave, I will be less dependent and I will have a reason to do exposures whether I like it or not. It will give me that push that I can avoid if I do stay here. I think I will learn new things about myself too and it can give me confidence and tests to test my courage. 

Davit, that's a good idea... I've been thinking of that too but the money still does worry me. I feel like it will be worth the try and money but my 'if' thoughts roam around. I'd eventually have to find a job and etc... which would be a good push for me, but still am afraid to do.

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Why not take an apartment, you don't have to move in right away, you can start by spending the days there and work up to spending nights also, to finally moving in permanently. It could be a fun adventure.

Davit
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry your discussion went missing yesterday.  That must have been frustrating!  Sometimes when I am writing lengthy posts I will write them in word or notepad before I post them to ensure I don't lose them due to any weird computer happenings!

I love how you are able to look at this situation positively.  I think dealing with difficult people is always a learning experience.   Don't let them change the nice wonderful person you are.  If you have to, kill them with kindness (not literally of course lol). 

In regards to moving out that is certainly possible.  It will take time and work but it is a possible.  I know you can do it and it sounds like you are motivated enough to get there.  How do you think your life would be different if you were able to move out?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: