Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

"We're worried."

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
AMJ, that is exactly how I felt.

I used to have a hard time believing that I had a 'disorder'. I would remember how easy I would get things done in the past that I was doubting myself that I had a problem. So I'd pushed myself and I would feel sick and then I kept scolding myself "Why can't you do it?" And now I try to accept that I am different from my past and that is a given fact that I have to face because things change.

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Every one.

People need to know that this is not a disease but a condition. It is totally reversible and curable. We have to refer to ourselves as being sick but it is sick like the flu not sick like Cancer. There is a difference and until people understand this they will continue to treat us like we are contagious even if they do not mean to. Some of you, yourself have to accept this. This is a condition. It is the reaction to a situation, be it chemical or mental. You do not have a disease in the normal sense of the word even though it can be controlled by medication. It is a condition and can be cured by changing the condition which is the simple but not so simple truth. All it takes is will power and work with some medication for those who need the extra help. I hope this makes sense and doesn't disappoint those who would like a better reason for being this way. It would be so nice to be able to say I have a disease like Diabetes but you can't.  Feel free to disagree with me but if you look close you will have to agree with me.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Evening,

I am sure that everyone means wells and wishes us the best. However it can be very counter-productive. Since my panic attacks started I have received the same comments ("We are just so worried') as well as strange looks like I will keel over any second. I know that my loved ones are worried but one of my main fears was upseting my family and having them tell me that they are worried only made me feel worse. I really needed them to let me know that things were still normal and I just needed to tweak a ew things in life and stick with the steps to getting better. I actually told them that it would be more helpful for them to read about the condition than following me around with the sympathetic and woried glances. I know they love me but it made me more anxious to know that they were anxious. I suggest letting the people who are commenting on your condition know that the best way they can assist you is to just be there in case you need them and be prepared to listen or help. This whole problem is about worry and anxiety and other people's doesn't do anything but add to that.
AMJ
Sunny

I will agree with you. The majority do mean well and usually don't put it this way but one person who does has the potential to do harm and should be ignored. Remember most people do not know what they are dealing with and although this technically is not mental illness in the chemical sense, people are still scared of it. You can't catch it just like Cancer but look how people shy from that. I will stick with my stance. Be selective who you tell. And ignore any one who treats you negatively.

Davit
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I'm very positive that everyone means well and that they don't know what other words to give me. But yes, I do feel a lot of pressure from it and defensive. And I wouldn't have thought of this until I received anxiety disorder too and have probably said it to others in the past when I was 'normal', myself. It is just very interesting to me and wondered if anyone else felt it too. Thanks again.
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all:  I agree with you Ashley, I think most people mean well, don't understand all of what's happening but do want to show their concern.  I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt.  In all areas of life you will meet some who are insensitive and may not realize what they are saying either by the choice of words, tone of voice or body language and that's too bad.   
Sunny

It sounds to me like they are saying they are worried because you are not trying hard enough. This is far from caring. It could just be a poor choice of words but I think they should use something else in that case. And people do say things like that and do mean exactly what it says. I know I have had it done to me by people who have no idea. (nurses)

Davit.
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Does someone saying "we're worried about you" make you feel as though there is no escaping your problem?  That you will be like this forever?  It may sound like a negative statement to you.  They probably mean to say "we really care about you  and hope you get well soon".   Just a thought...
Anybody else out there find it bothering when people say that? "We're sooo worried about you!"
It's usually a 'we' and they usually say it through the phone or online... not in your face. I found a long lost 'friend' whom I told that I have panic disorder and he said he's worried about me. Out of curiousity, I asked him why he's worried and he said "I'm worried as any friend would be." And we had other few trivial chats and our email exchange died out. I've had other few people say this but they never really came around, but the people who do come around, they usually don't say that.

Reading this thread: