Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

thought i was going to be okay but....

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"just remember 1 step at a time with the foods that make you upset and uncomfortable every little bit is a step closer to getting better!!!!!!!!!!"

You go girl! That's the spirit!
15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

i have trouble eating certain foods and drinking certain things. expecially fizzy drinks and i no i did this to myself. i mean all im trying to do at the moment is eat because i have lost so much weight and want to look good again so then i can start feeling good about myself before any of these horrible feelings go away along with depression, im just taking one step at a time with the food because otherwise i expect so much from myself like wake up the next day and everything is back to normal. (not going to happen)

just remember 1 step at a time with the foods that make you upset and uncomfortable every little bit is a step closer to getting better!!!!!!!!!!

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
drielly,

Have you tried challenging these anxious thoughts?
Members, does anyone else have experience with not being able to eat certain foods? If so, what did you do to overcome your anxious thoughts?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Drielly

Try not to beat yourself up about phobias you may have developed since your panic disorder began. These phobias are normal and are simply your mind associating the fear of panic to any circumstance that invokes it. When you think about it- panic is your bodies response to danger. It is trying to protect you. I think people with panic disorder (myself included) of loose faith in their bodies. I used to focus constantly on my heatbeat. I just didn't trust that everything will be ok. That my body can look after itself without my conscience control of it. Quite simply, your brain's reaction to danger is to indentify any perceived threats. So whatever you focus on becomes a phobia that gets ingrained through repetition. It is simply a behaviour that you need to unlearn. And this is possible. Whatever you are experiencing is perfectly normal. However, I know the thoughts that enter your mind like "I used to love doing x,y and z an now I can't". But once you tackle the issue of panic itself, these phobias get better.

Anyway. Sorry for ranting and good luck with the party.
15 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My husband and I ordered sushi last night and I ate three pieces of it and couldn't eat it anymore.  I was shaking and way too nervous.  I used to love to eat sushi.  What if I start to panic an actually choke.  I try not to think of this but it can be very difficult.  I have a birthday party tomorrow and there is going to be tons of food that I love and I think I will not be able to eat them.  I'm trying to keep eating as much as I can so I am not hungry but when I think I am getting better, I begin to feel like this.  How am I going to handle Thanksgiving?
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Drielly

You are going to be ok... and sometimes things just don't have a reason "why"... I too had a relapse after 7 years panic free (for the most part) and it devastated me...and then I realized it's just my "thing" ...everyone has a "thing"..and it's how I choose to react to it that makes all the difference.  You've done this once before so you're already that much more ahead... you'll get there.  I did...  I just had to pull up my socks and face it head on... instead of asking why me... I know it is me so I might as well deal with it...

Be patient with yourself and it will get better...all baby steps eventually add up to big steps... one day at a time. :)

DM
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Drielly,   I ditto Diva .  Please keep us posted on your progress and with any other questions/concerns.  Lean on us, we are here for you.   Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HEy Drielly,

I am glad you are taking advantage of the thought challenging tools. They can really change your life. I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Hang in there, it does get better.
15 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
the last time they were this bad I was in high school and on xanax forr times a day, serezone, and ambien and stayed home for a week until I was able to go back to school.  I am just learning how to challenge my thoughts. Im starting to see maybe my doctor wasn't that great.
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Drielly,   Sorry to hear your panic attacks have returned.  You are not being ridiculus, it is a good idea to tell you doctor what you have been experiencing to help you with treatment if need be.  Do you know what triggers your attacks?  What have you used in the past to help keep them under control?    Karen, Health Educator

Reading this thread: