Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Concert Last Night!!

19 years ago 0 132 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Nancy, I think you & me (&your son) did a great by sticking it out at our concerts. My big goal is to be able to enjoy them again. I use to go to to concerts all the time. Now I have to make myself go. I know that the more I push myself, the easier it will get,(or so I hear) but don't you hate to spend the $$ on a concert ticket when you can't enjoy it?? My next big step is a water amusement park that my husband & kids are planning. I have to go but I'm already wondering if I'll be able to enjoy myself. Thanks again, Chanda
19 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know exactly how you are feeling..I was in the same situation a few weeks ago...My husband, my son, and myself went to a David Bowie concert...I have panic attacks and my son does also (he is 21)...I was nervous about this for months, but knew I couldnt cancel, as my son was going and I had to be strong for him! Everything was ok, until we got there and actually sat down, and it was crowded, etc...I started to panic internally, and then my son was obviously panicking too...He had to go outside and I went with him...He took a xanax and sat down awhile and felt much better...I made myself stay till almost the end, when I said we should get going due to the traffic, etc...I could barely enjoy the concert cos I felt that I was on the verge of a full blown panic attack the whole time; my legs were weak, I felt dizzy and off balance....I was also very disappointed in myself, and felt bad for not being to really able to enjoy the concert....But I guess we should feel good that we at least went and stuck it out...I really would like to go to another show and do better than I did..
Hi Sky, Thanks so much for the reply. It always helps so much to know that someone understands. I'm feeling pretty positive now, I talked to my therapist & she told me that this was a positive experience. I am beginning to see it that way too. Instead of thinking "I failed because I had to go back to my car & take a Xanax". I'm thinking "wow I actually used the tools I have to make it throught. I went & sat in my car for a few minutes, took a Xanax, & pulled myself together & I made it. I actually stayed the whole time & the most important thing is.. I enjoyed it!" Instead of feeling like Xanax is a crutch, I'm trying to feel that it is just a tool to help me - help myself. Thank God this tool is available to me!! Thanks again, Chanda
19 years ago 0 239 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cdg, I can relate! I always get nervous attending concerts too, it’s a big one, so you’re not alone there. I can also relate to being harsh on myself and feeling disappointed. I think being harsh on ourselves is the nature of panic, it’s another way it comes out and makes life difficult for us. So when I catch myself doing it, I then tell myself it’s just the panic and not who I really am. I think it’s important panic disorder doesn’t become an identity for us. Sure you might have felt anxious and panicky during the concert, but you survived! Each time you bite the bullet and stay in an anxious situation like that you’ll have another experience to compare it to next time. It’s all positive, it’s going to make you stronger, and soon enough you’ll be able to share your husbands pride in yourself. I’m in a band and every week I make myself get up and sing before a bunch of folks. It’s not easy since developing panic. Many times I’ve felt like I was going to die up there, but I kept thinking, ‘stuff it might as well go doing something I love.’ What a stupid thing to think, bah silly panic! It’s not easy all this exposure business, but it’s absolutely possible. Take care Cdg, you’re doing fine and making good progress! :)
Casey, Thank you so much. I want to feel good about the fact that I DID IT. But I'm so impatient, that I want it all to be better so fast. I wanted to go to that concert with no problems at all & when I had to take Xanax I felt like I failed. However I know this was a huge step for me. It was without a doubt the biggest thing I've faced (& overcame) since I was diagnosed with p/d. I'm really trying to see the "glass half full" here instead of empty, but this has revived my fear of being on meds forever. But again, thanks so much because I really am trying to be more positive with myself.
19 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear cdg, Please see this as positive learning experience. How wonderful for your daughter to have shared such an exciting time with you. Do not be "disappointed in yourself". Your husband is right, you should feel proud of your accomplishment. It doesn't matter that you needed some assistance with medication, that is what it is there for. The point is that you did it. There will be many future opportunities and you already have this one behind you and you did it successfully. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Casey _____________________________ The Panic Center Support Team
Thanks Redface for your reply. When I take Xanax I put it under my tongue & let it melt, that is why it works so fast. If I swallow it with water it does not work as quickly.
19 years ago 0 274 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Does Xanax work that fast? I'm surprized any pill works that fast...except the sleeping pills I take. They work within a half an hour. Yes, I feel bad that I have to lean on a crutch of medications recently, but it's better than not doing what you want to do isn't it? I'm just glad they are there so some of us can go on with our lives. I'm sorry you feel sad about it, but try not to feel too bad; perhaps next time you will have built up enough cognitive therapy or whatever to deal with it. It is a "setback", but we have to expect them so they say.... Take care.
Hi everybody, I hope everyone is great. Last night I went to a concert with my family. It was my daughters favorite singer & her first concert. I have been anxious about it for over a month now because I have had a panic attack at that place before.(but then I didn't know what was wrong, I didn't know anything about panic disorder so it was very scary & I had to leave after the 3rd song) Well this concert last night was for my daughter so there was no getting out of it. I have been trying to prepare myself for it for awhile now. I have talked with my therapist about it & she told me to start writing & picturing how I want the concert to be.(fun & not anxious or scary) so I have done that & positive self-talk, I have even driven to the concert hall a couple of days before the concert & went in the parking lot just to try to calm my anxiety. Well after all this preparing the concert finally came & I was a little anxious but managable. As soon as we drove through the gates & I was "in there", then I saw the crowd I got really anxious. When we got out of the car, "it hit" & I had to get back in the car, turn the air on, & I took 1/2 a Xanax. Anyway I sat there & "regrouped" & we went on in. I stayed for the entire concert, encore & all, then when it was over we went out by the busses & got pics & autographs, & my daughter had the time of her life. I can't feel positive about this though. After all my planning I still had to take a Xanax. My husband was proud of me, & he's trying to get me to give myself some credit but I just can't. I mean it is so frustrating to have to force myself to do something that a year ago I enjoyed, but now it is so nerve-racking. Anyway I guess the up-side is that I did do it. I wanted to turn & run, but I kept telling myself "no more avoiding" I just feel so disappointed in myself, I wanted to do it on my own without the help of my Xanax. But thank God it was there. Can anyone relate??

Reading this thread: