Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Terrified to be alone-where do I start?

19 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To Casey, Kathy, Samantha and Rose, Thank you for your words of encouragement, and thank you also for the stories you shared. I think that loss, violence, illness, all test our limits to cope. I try to remember ( on good days at least) to count my blessings, to remember it's only because I have so much--seven wonderful children, two terrific parents, basically good physical health--that I had anything to lose to begin with. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it keeps me going. I've begun the panic program and am working with my Doctor on it. What I need are some coping strategies to be able to stay alone at home, if nothing else. I'm so glad I found this page. I wish it had been around twenty years ago when my anxiety attacks first began. God bless you all Lauralai
19 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Lauralai you are living proof of the strength of the human spirit. You have managed to live and cope with some very tragic circumstances. I hope and pray that you can look within and see that inner strength that you possess that is so apparent to the rest of us who have responded. You are a survivor and I believe you always will be. I know you will find comfort and support at this site just as so many of us have. Please keep posting if you feel alone and always know that you are not! God bless you and keep you Rose
19 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lauralai, I am so very sorry to read of the tragedies that life has placed before you.....you must be so strong to still be out there, trying to make it. You deserve great respect for all you have survived. I, too, have gone through many difficult times. I gave birth to my youngest son when I was only 6 months pregnant...he weighed 1.5 pounds and when I was living at the Ronald McDonald House while he was in the hospital, my 9 year old suffered a near-drowning accident (underwater for 4 minutes) at a birthday party.......eight hours away from the hospital that I was staying at with my baby. I spent the next 6 months of my life going between two different Ronald McDonald Houses in two different parts of the state where each of my children were listen in critical condition. During this time, my marriage crumbled and divorce proceedings started. I could continue but there really is no reason to. Needless to say, many of us have been through "more than enough" and yet we keep going in the face of unbelievable challenges. My heart goes out to you. I have little more advice to offer you other than to use this site as often as possible. The support that you will find here is phenomonal(spelling?). Don't stop talking and searching for ways to make things better for yourself.......you have proven that you are a very strong person. Hang in there! I wish you the best of luck and that your life will settle down soon! kathy
19 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lauralai, I an so very sorry about your luck. You are a very strong person. I can truly understand what its like to have such a tough time in life. I have gone through alot also. My story is different than yours though. I too have lost my parents. My Mother died when I was 16. I was 3 months pregnant with my oldest daughter. I am an only child. For years, I was in a very bad relationship with a man who mentally and physically abused me. He told me if I tried to leave him he would kill me and my kids. I tried to sneak away many times, and was caught and beaten severely for it. One weekend my kids went away to visit a friend and I had a plan. I would leave him or die trying. I had to sneak out in the middle of the night while he was sleeping, leaving with only the clothes on my back. That time I actually made it! I was finally free. We had to start all over with nothing but that was ok. My Dad died right after that. That really got to me. I was left feeling so alone. I had the kids depending on me but I had no one to depend on. I was so angry at my Dad for leaving me. I could go on and tell more but I'd be typing all day. You have come to a great place Lauralai. There are people here who understand you! I found this site in January and it has helped me so much. You can post your feelings and questions anytime. I have gotten alot of good advice from people here. Do try the panic program too. I have seen lots of improvement in my condition since I started it. It doesnt happen overnight, but it does help. I have spent alot of time locked up in the house due to my fear of going places. That gave me plenty of time to take advantage of this site. I am getting out more now, but I continue to come here for support and encouragement. There are always people here for you. Good luck to you. Hope to hear from you again soon so keep posting. Hang in there! Samantha
19 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Lauralie and welcome to the site. Thank you for sharing your story. What an ordeal you have been through. I had to keep reading it over. That is an incredible amount of trajedy for one person. My heart goes out to you. You must be a very strong person to have made it this far. I am sure that your fellow site members will be responding soon to your touching story. Remember that you do not need to feel alone on this site. Post often and let us know how you are doing. Please feel free to roam the site at your own pace. If you look to the left of the screen under "TOOLS" you will find many supportive tests. These tests are not diagnostic tools and are not a replacement or substitute for a physicians advice. The purpose of these tests is to prepare you with information that you can present to your physician. When youre finished the test, you can either print your Final Report or email it directly to your doctor. We also have developed a Panic Program. This program is 12-weeks and involves the tools mentioned above. Each session is based on the previous session, so we strongly advise that you work slowly through the program and not jump ahead. If you have any questions or concerns with our "TOOLS" you can contact our support department at support@paniccenter.net. Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Casey _____________________________ The Panic Center Support Team
19 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I've had PD/agoraphobia for 20 years now. about 6 years housebound, then varying dgrees of "normalcy". Due to a series of life-changing events, I'm now really bad with my panic again. In 1999 my mother died in a fire that destroyed the family home. Later that year I gave birth to my son. In 2001 I lost my job, as the place I worked at went under. Then, just before christmas 2001, I was in a bad car accident. I had to move up North to care for my elderly father in summer 2002. Two weeks after I moved, my son was diagnosed with leukemia. The treatment involved going to the hospital 200km away three to four times a week for the first year. Last January, my father died while I was in hospital with my son. This last month, my sister, who owns the house my son and I were living in, had a mental breakdown and became violent-throwing things and cutting phone wires, so I had to pick-up and run and live in a tent for a few days with my son until my friend, his father, was able to leave work and bring us down to his house in the city. I'm now so afraid of being alone, I don't know where to start. I need to learn quick, as I have run out of money to hire people to "babysit" me, while my friend is at work. Any suggestions would be very appreciated

Reading this thread: