Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,563 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Ativan :/

11 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Sea-b!

I also have a prescription for Ativan 1mg sublingual.  I have had the prescription for several years now and like yourself I take it as a last resort when my calming techniques have failed.  To date I have had no ill effects from it and find it is good for me in the type of situation mentioned previously.  As davit mentioned everybody responds differently to medication so only you will know how you react to it and with consultation with your physician can determine whether it is a right choice for you.  

If you take Ativan or any benzodiazepine (valium, xanax to name a few) frequently you develop a tolerance to it and will require an increase in dose to receive the same therapeutic effect.  Through occasional use as you mention this is less likely to occur!

Keep fighting the good fight! Everyone is here to support you ;-)
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sea-b

You have to weigh the side effects against the benefits. Ativan doesn't make any damaging changes as long as you don't exceed one month. Doctors pass it out like candy. You take it and go away and they seldom see the damage because you end up seeing a therapist or a shrink later. Many people use it as a sleep drug, not for anxiety. I would agree with Ashley that it should be left up to a doctor except for the abuse this drug gets. How strong are you? Can you go through withdrawal if you have too. You can not cold turkey Ativan like you can the other Benzo's. There is also Buspar. It is an anti anxiety of a different class with fewer side effects. Something to ask your Doctors about.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is exactly my concern - I do not want to become dependent on medication I much rather a natural approach. I have heard similar stories to yours Davit although my doctor didn't seem to be concerned when she prescribed them for me. I have a doctors appointment coming up next week which is why I was seeking out others experiences. I think I will discuss my concerns with her and see if she could prescribe something else ... I'm certainly not at a point where I need the Ativan a lot or on a daily basis but I do not want to get to that point. I also have a an appointment with my therapist tonight so I will discuss this with him as well and get his opinion. Thanks for sharing your experience!

-Sea-b
11 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sea-b,

Directing all of these questions to your doctor or a pharmacist is important before making any changes to your medication.

I'm sure more members will be along shortly to share their experiences.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My experience with Ativan is not good. 4 years dependent on it. I started out like you just once in while. And I do not have an addictive personality. It took a year of therapy to get off it. You do not become addicted to it. You become dependent. It changes pathways in your brain chemically. It does not give you a high or a good feeling it actually puts a good part of what you feel inactive. But it all comes back when you quit. Like all meds. This is my experience. In my opinion and it is only mine and my therapists Ativan is a dangerous drug.
There are other drugs in this class that are safer to use. You were given sublingual because it is quick. Unfortunately it is quick in quick out. If you do become dependent the four you are allowed will not cover a 24 hour period. In between was hell for me. The psych ward was nice though, nothing like it is portrayed. I'm not down on the Benzodiazapenes  just Ativan. I have a flag on my doctors files, absolutely no Ativan under any circumstances. 

Davit.
11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been reading through some posts & it seems that people are not fond of ativan. My doc has only given me 10 1mg sublingual pills to see if they help or not. I know Ativan can be quite addicting and I'm sort of worried although I've had them for about 3 weeks and have at least 5 pills left... I only take 1 when my I have a really bad attack and if my calming methods haven't helped or if I'm out somewhere and cannot leave to go have my attack in private. Should I be worried about getting addicted? or withdrawal ? I'm working with a counselor using cbt methods and doing this program so I think it might be a good idea to tell the Dr. I don't want the meds. or maybe get other meds as they are just for an as needed basis. 
Any experiences or input would be great!

Reading this thread: