Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Xanax... Zanax?

12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
 That sucks that everything deleted. I would've loved reading what you had to write about CBT. It's amazing how each drug can do all that and have specific tasks. I don't know how my therapist is going to teach me CBT still since it's early but I sure hope it's the real deal.

Hi Tanya, 
thanks for your input. It sure does help. I'm glad to know that it does work in a positive way for some people.
12 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Anerol :)

I've been on a low dosage of Xanax for about 2 years now. I have found it to be very helpful in my situation as it is fast acting and helps suppress/lower my panic and  anxiety level. There are side effects in some people that range from a variety of things. I personally have not had trouble, and I have been told by several people that some people have to stay on it their entire lives and they are just fine.

Though Xanax is helpful, it definately helps to have cognitive therapy at the same time. Plus, Xanax does not stop all panic attacks, it simply lessens the blow, so I still have to work hard at managing my mind and panic levels. I hope this input helps :)

Tanya

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ha 
I just lost a very long post on how CBT works. It was about how core beliefs and anxious thought were all intertwined and more.

Valium as all the longer half life Benzodiazapines is a muscle relaxant to besides its information blocking ability. Benzodiazapines all have slight differences in the amount of time they last and the type of information they block at the synapses. This I believe they do by blocking the production of the chemicals that carry the messages across the synapses. Valium is less specific so works for most forms of anxiety where others are tuned to work against repetitive though such as OCD. Others work to block excessive worry. All of them are sedating in all but the smallest dose. All can become dependent in those that are willing to use them that way or have no other way not to. (CBT).
I have no trouble with valium and have used it for periods up to a year with no problem stopping. Actually the last few times I used it more than periodically for a bad night I never tapered, I just forgot to take it.  This is personal experience. There is an actual addictive prone personality. I am not that type. I make wine and all though I do drink it and enjoy the odd glass I have no craving or need for it. My Dad on the other hand was an alcoholic. For me it is a hobby, I would not buy it no matter how good it was. Same with Opiates. I actually hate the withdrawal but can use them if I have to knowing I will never get hooked.

Davit. 

PS if you can do CBT (actual CBT) not just relaxation and coping skills that is flogged as it but is actually only the first part without medication you would be better off. If you fly without a safety net you have no where to run to, you have to do it, no short cuts. Ask anything you want, I will help where ever I am allowed to. Everyone should be this free. Lets reduce that 25% of the population with mental conditions.
Ay, that's why I'm afraid to test which ones are right for me...
I hope the CBT works for me. I told my therapist today I'd like to work on the CBT with her for 3 months at least and then I'll think about meds. And if I do, I'd like  to request them in the tiniest doses possible to see how it works. I'm learning that it's all about patience and I've really been able to learn that it's ok to lie to myself to help me realize the positive in things sometimes. I was pretty stubborn about that before w out even realizing it but when I did, I guess everything started changing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Davit. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear about Valium as well. Thanks. Ps. Benzos have addictive quality as well, right? 

Ativan has a short half life as itself but unfortunately what it breaks down to doesn't. This is a problem with many drugs. Ativan builds a priority pathway in the clusters in your brain that dictate every action and reaction you have. As for the depersonalization and more common dissociation, the feeling that you are missing something or not quite there is because you aren't.
Thinking positive is normal for every one who doesn't have a major mental disease. (for those that do there is medication) Ativan doesn't block positive thought it builds a priority pathway for it by shutting down most of the other pathways so that limited information gets through. Dosage is obviously based on how much of this shutting down you need. When it wears off the information can all come flooding in. (rebound). On the short term for some one who has not had panic long enough to have the constant terror and since panic attacks are not normal and we are programmed to normally think positive it works. These type of people don't have to be on more than a month. The limit at which time a person starts to become dependent on it to keep the excess information from getting through. All these pathways have controls that dictate what gets through, usually based on positive thought although fright brings up negatives because survival skills demand looking at the negative to decide if there really is a danger. A normal short lived reaction compared to the opposite where a negative thought causes a fright which opens negative survival thoughts (comparisons) which causes more fright and around the panic triangle you go till you tire out, find a logical reason to stop (CBT in the form of positive thoughts) or you grab another Ativan. Ativan once in a while or once a day to sleep is less dependence building if you are doing CBT during your conscious periods. The reason ativan is so hard to get off is because of the rebound when it wears off. Every thing you think or do is based to some extent on previous memory which is connected to controlling factors such as emotions at the same time. 
So when the Ativan wears off and the other routs are awake they are out of the loop so to speak and they don't know what to let through. All they can do is use the last thought which quite often is negative. So you get a negative reaction. The easiest way to get rid of this reaction is to shut them down with another Ativan. The answer though is to break the cycle of going round and round the triangle with positive thoughts. (even if you think the positive thought is a lie). You are trying to get back to the normal thought patterns we are born with which are positive except for actual panic from an actual fright. Negative thoughts are all learned although there is some theory that we bring some instinct with our DNA and some people therefore are more prone to acquiring negative thought. 

Posting so I don't lose it.
Hi Davit, 
What does Ativan do to the body? It's not a muscle relaxer like xanax? It's true I have a hard time knowing who's decision it is when I am doing something. Sometimes everything feels like I'm on auto pilot... the depersonalization(?) feeling.
anerol

I used to use Ativan to drive to town so I could shop or go to the doctors and it worked but I got dependant. CBT in the form of decision making worked. There were some iffy days to start when I wanted to run. I have Arthritis so what ever I do takes longer. So going to the store sometimes if I rushed it felt like I would pass out. Some of the stuff I use is in the far isles. Plenty of time to start thinking I didn't want to be there. But saying over and over "this is my decision to do this" got me through. I don't have to say it anymore because I have taken back control. It is my decision, I know this now, I don't have to tell myself anymore. Sure line ups are annoying, but it is my decision to be there just like it is my decision to drive and when to drive. I don't even have to use distractions anymore.

Davit.

I'm not on SSRIs anymore (Lexapro) but she put me on that because I was getting anxiety attacks when I drove. She said she can't give me the one's that work instantly because they cause drowsiness and I have problems with driving so she put me on SSRIs. She chose Lexapro because her past patients complained about all others of making them gain weight. Even though my anxiety didn't completely disappear, Lexapro helped me do a lot of things I couldn't. But when I got off of it, I had really bad withdrawals and I got depression as well.

Anyway, I don't even have a doctor yet (from the US) so, I still have to find me one and find a way for me to get the courage to get there. But I believe the therapy will help me do that in the near future. 

Xanax like all the benzos works as a skeletal muscle relaxant besides it's anti anxiety effects but it is meant to reduce GAD by reducing worry. It is aimed at specific chemicals in the brain. (simple version)

Do you worry a lot? If not then this may not be the benzo for you. You need to know if your doctor had a reason or if he was just picking one out of the air. SSRIs are also situation specific which is why there are more than one and you often have to switch till you find one that works for you.

Medication will not cure Anxiety. CBT will. Medication is an adjunct to CBT though and often is necessary to stay calm enough to absorb how to do CBT.

Davit.
Thanks everyone,
the reason why I asked about it was because my therapist has suggested it. But I'm still very cautious about meds and I plan to discuss it thoroughly once I am able to get to a doctor. And before I start, my plan is to try the CBT with my new therapist for a few months to see how it goes and then perhaps add the medication's help, after much research. My previous doctors were not so educated or informative about medications for me so I wanted to get all the info I can get.

Thanks Davit, I will keep those two in mind. So what is the specific type of anxiety are you talking about for Xanax?

Thanks Starbucks. If they're all "benzo's" why do they all have different effects on certain people? I have a hard time when I drive (if I drive) too. So I'd need to keep that into consideration. I was given SSRIs because I told them I get anxious when  I drive the first time I was on medications. 

Thanks sunny, I'm going to try the CBT out first. But since my therapist is suggesting meds for me... I'm feeling a little uncertain. But I would like to keep it with me for emergencies too... and if it works out for me then that would be more then wonderful, but I"m aware that there are many side effects to certain people.

Reading this thread: