Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Another bad night!

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to agree. 

Like anything, if you want to be good at it you not only have to know how to do it you do have to practice it. Routine makes it easier too.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m,
My understanding, and some claim they can do it, is that you can "cue" the relaxation response after you become adept at it. 

The people who claim this state they can work out at the end of their day and go immediately asleep.  I can't lower my pulse that quick(like those oil prices which "feather" down, but prices jump up, creating abnormally high fuel prices) so I have to schedule working out before 6pm.  In fact that is a suggested basic sleep hygiene tip. 

Sleep is important to me since i have sleep apnea, and have tried the natural sound machine(birds, water rippling, etc) so I try to inquire when these grounded people make claims about being able to accomplish what I think is exceptional

So a current book for example, Mastery of Anxiety and Worry, states pretty clearly that you can start with the long form of the exercises, and then just focus few major muscle groups, as a bonus, with practise.   I'm just overweight now, getting over some sports injuries until I get like my friends with the luxury and knack of cuing the relaxation response
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Sunny ... a good reminder.  I do tend to let it slide.

You can't just pull this [relaxation exercises] out of the hat when you think you need it.  This is something which needs to be practiced every single day whether you think you need it or not. 
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have also an huge problem with my sleep. I do not have problems to fall assleep but everyday I wake up at about 5 am, and from then on I could not sleep anymore leaving me unrested and very tired during the day. This week I have bought a more confortable maitress to see if it helps my sleep. I am having 20 mg of Lexapro and 15 mg of Mirtazapine each day and my doctor didn't wanted yet to prescribe me another drugs so I can not get adddicted to them.
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all:  I'm going to sound like a broken record here;  honestly, you need to learn to relax before you can get your sleep pattern back.  Continue with the relaxation exercises;  the progressive muscle relaxation ex. and then a visualization of whatever you would like or a relaxation music tape.  You can't just pull this out of the hat when you think you need it.  This is something which needs to be practiced every single day whether you think you need it or not.  Because then when you need it for real, it will work, your body won't be struggling to "learn" it, it will already have been registered and be ready to use.  It really does work.  It's like anything else you study, you may know the theory but it takes practice to make perfect.

Your friend, Sunny
12 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also try to meditate before sleep, it can work but sometimes I need a focal point. You can find live seascapes to focus on, which can help.

As for side effects, please check with medical people!

Kendra

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda.

I forgot to add that, that is just my opinion, although it is not it does come from my therapist. Your doctor may or may not agree. Some Doctors do not like benzos so they prescribe Ativan because it is considered by them to be mild because of the short half life. But no one can understand the heart ache from the constant rebound that comes from ativan use like a person who was dependent. Once dependent it is very hard to get off. My therapist explained the changes in my mind that happened. These changes are close to those that happen with heroin.
Ativan is not considered addictive but it is. Again this is just the word of some one who was an Ativan addict.  I just know that for long term use there are safer drugs. Ativan is the drug of choice for short term quick use but it is too easy to abuse. 
I hope your Doctor will put you on something safer if you are going to be on long term. Or even if you are not.

A very concerned Davit.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello bren67,

Please do seek consult from your doctor or healthcare professional regarding any side effects you may be experiencing from your medications. They will be able to answer any specific questions you have and explain to you the common side effects. You can also take a look through the leaflet that is provided to you with your medication.

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you sunny!!!
I am trying to all the right things,but i am realizing this will take a little time to get through,and i will..
Thanks for the support!!!
Bren
12 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Now that makes sence..
So,,it was just the ol anxiety thing again.
I am going to requist some valium or zanax when i see my doctor this week!!!
Maybe ill sleep better!!!
Thanks Davit.

Reading this thread: