Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

so what?

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mmcreads,

It really sounds like you have made some huge (and impressive) gains recently. Changing impressions and assumptions about anxiety and panic attacks can sometimes be a difficult task but it is clear in your post that you have a larger understanding of your own health and coping strategies. This is great news!

Keep us posted on how your session with your pain therapist goes. Be well.

Sarah, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

When i think panic or anxiety i think of my friend who worries obsessively over every detail and cannot make decisions.  I have never been like that so i always ruled out any idea that i could have anxiety, or be an anxious person.  I am decisive and responsive.  But a handful of large stressors that i have little control over "fixing" have plauged me.  changing my impression of what anxiety is was crucial.  second step was to stop "fighting" my body...its physical pain, its stress, and its panic attacks.  thanks fo rthis website, can't wait to discuss these revelations with my pain therapist!

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW!

mmcreads, the discovery you just made is amazing! It takes some people a lifetime to realize what you have.  You should feel so proud of yourself.  You know what you need to do and you will do it. This achievement is HUGE.

Very good incite sunny. The quote there is nothing to fear but fear itself is so true.

Doing great. Keep posting your achievements and incites.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I remember my "aha" moment...I was very busy and had to get things done - sure enough a few symptoms started creeping in before an attack - I was so fed up with this - I said "fine, you do what you have to do, I'm doing what I have to do" and sure enough it eased off.  Sometimes using a form of paradox works - the fear leaves you when you tell it to "just go ahead, beat faster, sweat more, choke me more..." you have released the fear of fear
14 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Holy Cow! Small steps, HUGE changes.  I've had some medical problems recently, and it forced me to evaluate my life.  When i finally realized what was important in life, I also realized I didn't have any of it, and it set me off for over a year now of misery, and my panic attacks were just about daily, mulitple times a day, out of nowhere and unrelated to my fits of depressive thoughts.  I thought they were a part of my medical issues, but I researched, and now know this is what i am dealing with.  As soon as I recognized that, i re-evaluated what i just thought was "stress" or fits of feeling sorry for myself are actaully a catalyst for anxiety...manifesting in the spontaneous attacks, not the hand wringing, obsessive picture i had in my head of what anxiety meant.  The more i accept this is my life, its ok, and i will build on it, and get to what i know if important, the less i have had my attacks.  My brain has been "fried" for a year dealing with chronic pain, lonliness, and lack of direction.  Just saying "so what?" I can fix all that in time, I see a significant decrease in attacks.  I don't have to keep fighting all of this.  It is what it is!  So what??!! I feel liberated in the acceptance.

Reading this thread: