Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

past fainting, current panic attacks?

14 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For what it's worth, my cardio thinks that there is a link between hormones and panic disorder. He said it's common for women going through menopause to get palpitations and anxiety and  all that due to fluctuation in hormones. My symptoms started after weaning my son after 18 months of breastfeeding and I feel that hormones came into play with my anxiety and panic attatcks. Keep searching, it's rough, but hang in there. Keep with the program and read "Hope and help for your nerves" by Claire Weeks. This book has helped me immensley!

Take care,
H
14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mmcreads,

Good for you for being so proactive.  You are taking steps to improve and you will see results. I do recommend seeing your doctor as he/she would be best at diagnosing the problem.  Even if you are uncomfortable with seeing another doctor, it may help to ease your mind

Feeling faint can definitely be due to panic attacks. Your past trouble with fainting definitely must be reinforcing the fears you have now.  I am sure you do know worrying about fainting will not make the situation better but it is hard to think like that when you feel you are about to faint at any minute. Keep reminding yourself that you have not fainted in a long time.  Also remind yourself of the worst thing that would happen: you would faint, you would wake up and go on.  Yes it would be embarrassing and probably scary but you would get through it.  Try not to let this debilitate you.  The more you avoid situations the harder it is to live a normal life and the more you will be reinforcing your fear.

Keep us posted.

Members, please post your thoughts.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As a pre-teen and a teenager...then some years beyond I would have fainting spells that were not correlated to any activity or pre-cursor.  Sometimes i would be sleeping and it would actually wake me up, and i woud pass out...blood pressure drop, ears ringing, tingling all over, sometimesi stopped breathing when I fainted and have woken up while getting rescue breathing.  It gradually stopped over the years.  I wore a Holter monitor for month and went to a cardiologist and was diagnosed with mild mitro valve prolapse...i tried beta blockers, but the made my heart flutter a lot, so i stopped and gradually the fainting did too.  I am currently dealing with a chronic pain condition (endometriosis) and have been struggling with it for a year now after treating it very aggressively.  Since starting Lupron shots, a very aggressive drug therapy, I started getting the feeling i was going to faint like i used to all the time, but never actually fainted.  I have stopped the Lupron and things are getting back to normal, but i still feel like i am going to pass out...several times a day.   I have stopped riding the subway  - no way for easy escape to fresh air,  and avoid places i can't sit down or get out of quickly...like long lines or concert w/ floor seats.  I have not actually passed out with these new feelings, and I am now having the feeling like i cant breathe so I am thinking these are now panic attacks??  Unrelated to my past issues?  I am not an axious or worrisome person, but i will cop to being stressed about my health and difficulty getting treated.  Its stressful now too that I am adding this condition to the mix???  More doctors!!  Sorry, but i am sick of them!!  I am starting the pain management program with includes weekly session with a pain therapist, and i want to address this with her, but it doesnt start for a couple months.  I plan on doing this program in the meantime and sharing my results and notes and forms with her. Could this be hormonal? between the endo and the Lupron I feel like there has to be a connection?

Reading this thread: