Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Saying, No Thanks

2 months ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thank you for the update Lynn!

It's so nice to hear how well you are doing. You deserve all the success you have now. Enjoy it!

Ashley

3 months ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Ashley,

Hello! I am happy to give an update. :) I am still alcohol-free, and things are going well for me. 

I retired in 2020 but began working a full-time job again in June. Something I doubt I would have EVER done if I were still drinking. If I were still drinking, I would have passed up this awesome job just so I didn’t have to worry about getting work done and being hungover. 

The work involves a good amount of travel and often includes wining and dining clients. My co-workers know I don’t drink, and they have never tried to encourage me to do so. I think they like that they have a designated driver. ;)

I miss checking in here as often as I once did. I continue to credit this site for helping me become alcohol-free.  

Many thanks for all you do!

Lynn

3 months ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thank you for sharing your wisdom Lynn! Great to read from you! I would love to read an update post from you soon.

Happy holidays!

Ashley

3 months ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Ashley,

What a great post for this time of year!

There are a large number of reasons why some people have a hard time saying “No thanks”. For example:

•   Some people are embarrassed, and feel that they’ll have to explain why they’ve cut down or quit drinking.

This was me when I first stopped drinking. I now find it easier to say that I don't drink anymore. If more is said after that, I just say I thought it was best to stop because I liked it too much. That usually puts an end to the comments.

•   Some might feel that it won’t matter if they have one more drink – or just one, period.

This was me in all my unsuccessful attempts to stop drinking. One always led to more. Maybe not that night but eventually one became two, then three, and on and on.

•   If you’re out with a new boss, friend, colleague or partner, you might believe that you might jeopardize your job or relationship if they find out the reason why you’re always saying “No thanks” when offered a drink.

I found there was a difference in saying "I don't drink" and "I don't drink anymore." Most people understand that "anymore" indicates some type of problem.

•   The physical discomfort and temptation you feel might be too strong.

Yep! This one is hard. We all have to find our way of dealing with this.

•   If you don’t drink you might feel like you just don’t fit in.

When you're drinking, "fitting in" usually means doing or saying something you regret. You see things much differently when you're sober and watch people drink. Even people that I didn't think appeared intoxicated, are different than I thought. Regardless of what we would like to think, a few drinks makes us different.

There are many, many other reasons why people can have a hard time saying “No Thanks”. And some are great at saying “No Thanks” for years - and then wake up the next day to find they’ve had a slip or have relapsed. It happens.

No matter what you’re personal situation is, the best way to learn how to say “No Thanks” is to practice. Like anything else in life, you can only become good at something if you practice enough.

I couldn't agree with this statement more! Practice what you're going to say in any situation you can imagine. Preparation is key!

How do you say no thanks?

As I mentioned before,

"No thanks, I don't drink anymore."

4 months ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

There are a large number of reasons why some people have a hard time saying “No thanks”. For example:

•   Some people are embarrassed, and feel that they’ll have to explain why they’ve cut down or quit drinking.

•   Some might feel that it won’t matter if they have one more drink – or just one, period.

•   If you’re out with a new boss, friend, colleague or partner, you might believe that you might jeopardize your job or relationship if they find out the reason why you’re always saying “No thanks” when offered a drink.

•   The physical discomfort and temptation you feel might be too strong.

•   If you don’t drink you might feel like you just don’t fit in.

There are many, many other reasons why people can have a hard time saying “No Thanks”. And some are great at saying “No Thanks” for years - and then wake up the next day to find they’ve had a slip or have relapsed. It happens.

No matter what you’re personal situation is, the best way to learn how to say “No Thanks” is to practice. Like anything else in life, you can only become good at something if you practice enough.

How do you say no thanks?

Reading this thread: