Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Hello

12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hepsie,  I have the same issues as you. I like to drink alone, I can limit myself in social situtations, but at home I go crazy.  Once I start I can't stop.  And I can relate to your feelings of energy. I'm so tired of being hung over and tired all the time. If I don't have to go in to work, I can easily stay in bed all day and sleep my world away after a night of drinking.  And it's depressing. I'm tired of being sad and depressed all the time. 
12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Tom.  That's great advice.  Evenings are the witching hour for me.  I've been getting through them by trying to eat a healthy dinner.  Then I throw a serious book on my Kindle or power up Netflix and watch a foreign movie.  My reward is being able to follow a complicated plot or argument, or watching the whole movie without getting so fuzz-headed I can't remember the ending the next day. I do tend to eat a little bit more than I should, but I'm working on that.
12 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hepsie
reading your post, I feel like you describe  myself , I am too,love to drink alone,now whenever i am alone ,i would try to do something like reading ,jogging,workout, whatever you feel comfortable with except drinking

12 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Hepsie,

This is a great place to get support.  Good luck with your goals.

splitimage
Thanks Josie.  Once before, I quit just before Christmas.  I really enjoyed the holiday--the lights were brighter, the joy was greater--and I managed almost a year of sobriety.  Then I thought I could handle moderation, which worked for a while until the divorce I realized I needed got ugly and I started medicating with a glass or two of wine that then turned into more.  I now know that I have to stop for good.  I'm determined to do it.  
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hepsie,

Welcome and thanks for sharing!  You have made some great realizations and this is commendable.  Use the tips and tools to help you quit and post with us for support and knowledge.  The members do have lots to share and we can all learn from one another.

Your statement about how you remembered how you felt when you were young is so honest and inspiring!

We are here for you!

Josie, Health Educator
Hello.  I thought I would have a glass or two of wine last night, and then stop drinking.  As usual, it didn't happen.  I drank the whole bottle and then some.  After that second glass, something happens to my mind.  I just can't stop.  This happens a few times a week.  I love the idea of cutting back, and, ironically, on social occasions I can easily limit myself, but when I'm alone I lose control.  And I love to drink alone.  So my pledge is to stop drinking entirely.  I remember how great I felt as a kid, before I ever had my first drink.  So much energy.  So much imagination.  If I could have even a fraction of that back again I would feel happy.  I hate that I lose control.  I hate the time I lose to recovering.  I've tried cutting back.  It just doesn't work for me.  I've quit for months at  a time, but when I've started drinking again thinking I could moderate it, I quickly got back to my old habits.  I'm glad this is a place to share.  Maybe with the support I'll succeed this time.

Reading this thread: