Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Made it Through the 1st 24 hours

6 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Former Smoker, Thank you for your brutal honesty. I am not on the end of the tube, and haven't been. I have went through the death of one of my stepfathers, who was ridiculed with cancer from smoking, and another stepfather who is on oxygen now from years of smoking. Ironically, my mother doesn't smoke. These reasons, including the reason you have posted, is a big factor in why I have chosen to stop. I have smoked for 33 years, and I am 45 years old. Thank you for sharing your story. 
  • Quit Meter

$16,320.59

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 260 Hours: 15

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you. Funny we have a similar story. turned 50 October 2017 and in November, I went to Lake Tahoe with my husband. Being an asthmatic it was silly to be smoking. I had inhalers and every year would get a bronchitis or pneumonia and have to go to doctor and get a shot of steroids. Back to the point. I woke up in lake Tahoe and could not breathe. Between my husbands cold that he gave me, asthma, elevation and smoking a different brand, woke up at 5am with an asthma attack and could not breathe. Wen't to urgent care and they said my oxygen saturation was at 79-80 normal is 95 to 100. Rushed to hospital and put on oxygen. Couldn't believe it. 4 liters which is a lot being pumped up my nose and all of a sudden I was forced to quit. I knew I would be out of there soon but did not know if I needed to stay on it the rest of my life. Felt horrible for staring at people who wore oxygen. For the next 2 days they would take the oxygen off and my levels went back down into the 80's. They said I could go home but with a green tank on wheels and had to call an oxygen company for the bigger  box of oxygen delivered to the hotel. We could not stay in the beautiful mountains as they suggested we drive down to San Diego, CA. Anyways all I could think of in that bed was how long would it be? Would I have to walk around for life like this. Not religious I decided to pray to whoever listened. Said" if your listening I promise to never smoke again if you give me back my oxygen. 8 days later still on it was scared. I bought one of those things that tells you your pulse and oxygen level at cvs. Stuck my pointer finger in and it was 92 without the oxygen. So I slept with the O2 on and took my steroids as prescribed. Next day took it off and waited about 10 minutes and took my levels again 95!! Checked it every 10 minutes for about 3 hours in disbelief. Point to all of this is you do not want to end up on the end of a tube. I was always like "oh you're obese and you are telling me to quit" "I can smoke and stay thin" Now 4 months later this week I still miss the sitting outside and smoking. No lies it sucks. It isn't easy. Nothing worth doing is ever easy. As much as it sucked to be in the hospital I am glad I went because the first 3 days are the hardest and I had no cravings while on oxygen and was trying to save my life. I gained 15 flipping pounds from that. I know must get on a treadmill every day and sweat and redo hair and make up Ect... Don't give up. You can do this. Think of yourself on a tank and not being able to take it off. Right now you have a choice to stop. Who knows how long it will be before the effects of smoking catch up. It does get less frequent and I breathe a heck of a lot better and can work out for longer periods of time every day. Just walk when you have a craving. Go to a gym if its cold outside. Do jumping jacks until the craving goes away. Anything active to get your life out of the habit. Stay away from Walgreens 7/11 and go to CVS lol. Pay for gas outside and do not walk into the station. If all else fails call the national quit line and they will give you free patches. Do not go to a bad place. Live the time you have left and make yourself a deal. If you can make it till 75 or 80 and feel you've had enough than you can start again. Hopefully if you make it you won't want one by then. Good luck in your journey. Every day is a challenge and should be celebrated. Soon it will be a month and soon 2 months and hopefully a year. You will save enough to get a gym membership and then some.
  • Quit Meter

$245,181.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6250 Hours: 1

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome June Louise,

Your post is so positive. I love it. With that attitude you are sure to have success. I also love the idea of celebrating everyday of Hell Week. How have you been celebrating so far?

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi June Louise,
 Good for you! That's the type of attitude you need to overcome this addiction. Celebrate each and every day of your journey, and NEVER again fall for that "just one" trap. 
 You are right, it is an awesome feeling you get once you've kicked the habit.  
Keep us updated on your progress, and stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,159.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 18

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I pledged to quit smoking yesterday, Wednesday, January 23rd, 2018, and I did.  This is my 2nd attempt since the 1st of the year, and I am determined to make it stick.  About 5 years ago, I had quit for over a year..... but then that little voice in my head, while drinking with friends, convinced me I could have just one.  That one turned into a regular, awful habit again.  Now, I am determined to get that awesome feeling of not needing cigarettes again.  I loved smelling good, looking good, being able to exercise and overall feeling energetic and awesome.   I want it back and I am going after it.  I am approaching 50 years old, and I finally want to put this awful 33 year vice behind me.  I don't need it, I don't want it and I know I can live without it.  I plan to post here routinely..... I am celebrating each day of hell week... and honestly, at this point, it hasn't been that bad.  Here's to the next 24 hours!
  • Quit Meter

$22,820.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 299 Hours: 8

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: