Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Recovering from my slip

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Geartha!!!

Welcome and congrats for not giving up on your goal of attaining freedom from this addiction!  Just remember that everyone's quit is different!  What works for some will not work for another!  Some find it easier, some find it is pure torture!  Rest assured though,  you CAN do this!

Do you keep your written reasons for quitting handy to see when you get one of those horrible cravings?  Have you made a crave basket and is it always with you?  Do you go through your list of coping mechanisms when those craves hit???  Sometimes you have to go through all the helpful tools before that crave finally diminishes!  The thing is, those craves will go away and become less frequent.  You just gotta want your quit more than anything and have that determination in you that you will do anything to attain your freedom!

We're here for you!  Post as often as you need to!  Just don't smoke!  

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,385.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1062 Hours: 8

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I did not have this reaction in the first few weeks, but my quit pattern was different than yours. Currently, I am keeping the crave diary, and I am finding that the overall trend is less cravings as time goes on. There are occasional "spikes" (higher cravings on particular days), but those are lower each time, too. If you aren't already using this tool, I suggest that you do. You will notice your own patterns, and this helps with self management.

As for you having more intense cravings as you move forward to day 12, I do have a theory. This may or may not be correct, so you can take it for what it's worth. First, as you know, this is not physical, since the nicotine is out of your system. For whatever reason, you slipped up on Day 12, so that has become a focal point for you. Whatever psychological barriers you have to quitting are being focused around the approach of day 12.  Perhaps there is a sense of "if I can make it past Day 12, I have really quit," and this raises all the anxieties that go with the idea of finally quitting.

I know the concept of the "last cigarette ever" was a very hard one for me to wrap my mind around and accept. That's why I took so long to even get to that point, and I am still somewhat in denial about it. I try not to think about it too much. 

Some things that have been helpful for me on high-crave days are to: 1) Remind myself that it's just today I need to get through without smoking. Tomorrow will take care of itself if I just focus on today.  2) Go to bed if today seems to long. (The internal battle can be exhausting, and being tired lowers willpower even further.) 3) Look at the quit meter. Think about the money. Think about the days of life gained. Think about how much better I'm feeling without smoke in my lungs. Think about earning a little bit more of that each day.  

Well, hopefully, there was something in these ramblings that was helpful. Hang in there, my friend.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,623.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 19

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For some strange reason I feel like I am going backwards.. I was doing so well as I had stated  12 days smoke free then I had a slip each day I   am getting worse  cravings after  those 12 days seems as though it  would be getting easier not harder.. Am I the only one that feels like this or have others gone threw this stage also?
Thank you Ashley for your  comment. What I learned from it is I only hurt myself nobody else.. And That I truly disappointed myself after doing so well.. What will I be doing to prevent it from happening again.. well I will try to occupy myself and not give into temptation.. The deep breathing does seem to help for the most part   until it passes I tell myself  it passes as fast as  the urge comes on..  I will not smoke

Thank you so much Red!

11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Geartha,

Thats the way to do it..Get right back on the horse..and never quit quitting..

Staying quit is the challenge..

N.T.A.P.  never take another puff
Red...
11 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Geartha,

Sorry to hear you had a slip but glad to hear you are right back at it! Slips happen, what is important is that you learn from it.

What did you learn from this slip? What will you be doing differently in order to prevent it from happening again?

Ashley, Health Educator
I was doing so well not a smoke in 12 days then I  slipped up.. I  got myself all stressed and  then lit up. I thought after 4 days  from what I read the niccodene was out of my system... What I didnt realize is the urge  is there guess it was hiding because I hadn't had a urge before then.. So today I will not smoke!!  And one day at a Time.....

Reading this thread: