Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Eat healthy while quitting

11 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cookie monster lol
11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for that idea! I will definitely try that.
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Some sweets are ok Dori; especially while you are quitting!

It also can be helpful to make your own healthy snacks instead of buying processed foods. One of my recent favs is raw chocolate bars. In a food processor grind 1 cup cashews then add 1 cup medjool dates and 1/4 cup cacao.  You may need to add a bit of water or more dates to make it stick together. You can then press this into bars in a container, wax paper or plastic wrap. The calories are still somewhat high but at least you are getting some nutritional benefit too - it really works for a chocolate fix! 

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
They all sound like terrific suggestions but I just can't resist the chocolates and the ice cream.  I never had much of an interest in sweets before I quit smoking but now I've turned into the cookie monster.  Luckily I've only gained about 3 lbs. since I stopped smoking 80 days ago but I've really increased my excercise level to counteract the sweets.
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try to eat healthy while quitting. Your body is recovering and needs all the help it can get. Healthy eating will also help your mood and energy levels.

To increase your odds of healthy eating try these tips:
  • Eat your dinner on smaller, salad plates and your salads on dinner plates.
  • Keep not so healthy snack food out of eye level and keep healthy foods easily accessible and in plan view
  • Don't get too hungry. This may cause you to binge on unhealthy foods and even crave cigarettes more
  • Drink plenty of water. This flushes away toxins, keeps you hydrated and keeps you feeling full

What tips would you add to this list?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: