Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,511 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Another Failure

13 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Steelroots,

Thank you for your compassionate, caring, supportive, and positive response to my relapse.  I agree we do have many things in common pertaining to our relapses and I also agree with you that we will be more prepared for our next quit. We can do this.  Please don't let yourself get discouraged by one Negative persons response to our relapses.  We are going to move on and get ready for our quits in spite of anything negative we might read or hear.  Their are many positive and supportive people in the support group that do remember what is like to quit and how hard it is to keep a quit. They are all trying to keep their quits every day just like we were and we will be keeping our quits just like everyone else again soon.  Hang in there Steelroots we can do this One Day At A Time.  I'll be on the board posting again when I am ready and look forward to seeing you there also.

Rose

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/30/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 44
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,760
Amount Saved: $572.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 1 Mins: 32 Seconds: 10

13 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Steelroots, ditto on what everybody else said below.  Like I always say, The Wright Brother's first plane didn't fly.  Thomas Edison's first light bulb didn't light.  We learn from our mistakes, and practice makes perfect!  When you are ready to jump back up on the horse, grab one of our hands.  We will be here with open arms!
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 691
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 27,640
Amount Saved: $6,910.00
Life Gained:
Days: 106 Hrs: 10 Mins: 30 Seconds: 49

13 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Steelroots!

Welcome back from your vacation!  Sorry to hear about your slip, but like Kaiser said, don't beat yourself up about this!  It happened and it is now in the past!  No one here is going to judge you, because a vast majority have done the same thing at least once!  What did we do?  We got right back up on the horse and learned from the experience and moved on!

Continue on with your preparation, review the information in the Program, look at your list of reasons why you want to quit smoking and revise it if necessary, prepare your crave basket and begin to psych yourself up for your final quit!  Set that date and tell yourself that  NOTHING  is going to stop you next time!  95% of quitting is mental and if we really set our mind to doing something, we  WILL  do it! 

You can do this and we're here to help!

Jim

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 859
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 21,475
Amount Saved: $3,543.38
Life Gained:
Days: 147 Hrs: 23 Mins: 56 Seconds: 39

• Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 3

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Your quit... sounded quite similar to my last quit.  I tried to be excited .. and keep cheerful etc.

This Quit is soooo different.  I will not say I am quit forever. but I quit for each day, one day at a time. 

I read the Alan Carr book, I joined a couple support groups.  I also learned that after the 50 to 60 day mark many people are not so excited,   there is something called  "Post Withdrawal Syndrome"  I don't think I am allowed to post links.. there is quite a bit of information on it.. if you type it into your Search bar. 

This time I had to do it for .. me.. no I mean Really For me.. and not for other reasons, people, etc.  I had to change the wa I think about smoking.. and by early afternoon they were really tasting nasty and I wondered why was I spending good money on somehing so disgusting.

there are some other on line smoking tests.. there is the one here.. IF you want to quit gather and use all the tools you can.

If you are Romancing the cigarette, and still think you are enjoying it, that you are "giving up" something.. it is going to be a Really hard quit..

Only you can decided if you want to smoke, or if you want to quit.  If you want to Quit... Then the only way to do it,, is to have a Good long talk with yourself.. Smoking is off the table.. for any reason.. Smoking is not an option.  I do NOT smoke anymore. 

I lost a 9 month quit.. because I was just so sure.. I could have a smoke in  a social situation.. and then go right back to my quit.   NO  it really doesn't work like that.  The people here who have Long quits.. have them for  a Reason, and they have knowledge..

I wish you well.. and we will be here for you when you are ready.

Bonnie

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/7/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 66
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,122
Amount Saved: $224.40
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 18 Mins: 2 Seconds: 3

13 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Steelroots,

I am sorry to hear about your relapse/slip.  I am hoping this is just a slip.  I too have been having a hard time with my quit. The last few days have been very hard.  I having been longing for a cigarettes and have had a slip and am hoping it doesn't turn into a major relapse.  I had access to my computer but still gave in.  The one thing I have learned is that staying quit takes a lot of inner strength and that I can not rely on a support group or others to stay quit because it is my quit and my responsibility.
I have to be strong and be able to stand alone and fight the urge and longing for nicotine by and for myself.   When it come down to it realistically their will not always be someone their to help me when I get a crave or urge. This addiction is between me and my addiction to nicotine.  
I am so glad you came on and posted today and vented about your relapse or slip which ever it turns out to be.  Your post is helping me understand this addiction better and giving me strength to possibly continue on with my quit.  It good to know I am not alone in this fight,  that someone else is fighting this addiction just like me.  Of course the decision as to whether I smoke or not and if I success in this quit is all up to me.  It is my quit, I know this and my responsibility even so I do appreciate all the support, encouragement and feedback I receive for everyone here on this site.
I hope to see you resuming your quit soon and like wise for me. 

Never Quit Quitting,

Roses

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/30/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 43
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,720
Amount Saved: $559.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 0 Mins: 10 Seconds: 46

13 years ago 0 1387 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Steelroots.  beating your self up over this will accomplish nothing.  very few of us have quit on our first attempt.  It is important that you figure out what caused this slip so that it does not happen again.  Now lets get on with your final quit.  And remember to reward your self as you reach each milestone.
kaiser

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 712
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 17,800
Amount Saved: $890.00
Life Gained:
Days: 138 Hrs: 19 Mins: 40 Seconds: 11

13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Steelroots,

You feelings are understandable.  But every quit up to this one is just a way to build momentum for the final quit.  Please try and forgive yourself and concentrate on the future.

You hit on some great points.  Specifically that you will need to reward yourself.  It is never too early to think about how you will do this.  How will you reward yourself after your first week? first month? first year?  And please treat yourself.

Refer to Milestone 5: "rewarding yourself " to get a little more info.

Congratulations on making the first step.

Jason, Bilingual Health Educator
13 years ago 0 109 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Was concerned about my trip for B/D and Anniversary - that I really didn't want to go but decided I could deal with and didn't want to disappoint my husband.  Well, I went on the trip and smoked the 2nd day we were there and came home smoking.  I didn't have computer, phone, TV and just gave in to the urges and cues and thoughts of association with smoking.  I quickly and easily always get through the nicotine w/d but thought of smoking every second or minutes of every 84 days I was quit.  
I want to try again and obviously need to reset my quit meter but seem very reluctant because of my "stinking thinking"
failure, why bother after all this time and the many times I've quit and never stayed quit.  Mad with myself for never persevering but always throwing in the towel and giving in instead of fighting.  I just down right miss smoking and feel that part of me is gone, missing, deprived or something.
I keep telling myself that other people do it (and they do) but I never "stick" to it.  I did enjoy not smelling like smoke and the inconvenience of being a closet smoker most of the time but had my smoking routine and rituals that I just can't or won't give it up totally.  I don't know why I want to smoke or than to stay quit.  There are so many positive things with quitting.  I feel so depressed and no motivation, don't even want to get up in the mornings the almost 3 mths I stopped.  When I'm smoking I get so much more done and constantly busy.  Seems as if I go brain dead every time I quit.  
This sounds like a me or I opera, don't mean for it to, just don't know any other way to say in order to get my thoughts, feelings/emotions my venting etc.  Know this is rambling and probably not making sense but needed to own up for smoking again.  I'm sorry for not doing as well as everyone else, for giving in to the flesh so easily and quickly into the quit.  As someone else posted - apparently I do have experience in quitting but not for long.  
Do know I wasn't rewarding myself like is recommended.  I felt quilty to reward myself after all the years and money I had spent on cigarettes-just thought my reward should be enough just not buying cigarettes.  In the beginning I was so proud of myself but always talked myself out of rewards.  Next quit, I'll definitely reward myself.  Friends and family seemed excited at first but then I felt like no one knew how hard the battle was for me and when I kept talking or telling everyone each day or week I had added, they would just say you should be through the w/d and I was so far as having the nicotine out of my system but to me that was very minor to my stress or emotional times I desired the cigarettes.  This is probably stupid but needed to VENT and in the near future I'll clear my head to quit again and set my new date.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 4/10/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 93
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,395
Amount Saved: $348.75
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 4 Mins: 33 Seconds: 52

Reading this thread: