Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,652 Members

Please welcome our newest members: OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO

I almost slipped today

17 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am really angry and disappointed with one of my friends, who just seems to be having a difficult time supporting me in no matter what I do. Frankly, I think she has to feel superior to me. She constantly compares me to her son (God bless him) who has had drug and alcohol problems. He also smokes. He has the drug and alcohol problems in remission. My background is similar to his, except I gre up in foster care and without drug and alcohol problems, although I have bipolar disorder that I also seem to be handling better than he does. I have three master degrees and want to go to school to be a psychiatric nurse practitioner. She told me that she will not write me a letter of recommendation and was dreading the day that I asked, although I had yet to ask. She made the commemt that her son counts out pills. I made the comment that I would rarelt have to. She got mad at me, saying I didn't really want to do what the job required. Her son volunteers at a clinic and doesn't have a GED. She has a PhD, and I originally got to know her as a professor. I don't know where this friendship is headed. It makes me sad. I need her support. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 715 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bgaineshunter, She doesnt seem to be much of a friend hun. I encourage my friends to be the best they can be, if they have an opportunity to excell i am behind them 100% with open arms ready and waiting in case they need someone to catch them. I think you have acheived so much and you should be so proud of yourself. Sometimes friendships even long term ones can part their ways, its not a bad thing, it just means that you are moving forward. As one door closes another one opens. :) You are you, never change for anyone :) PrincessC :) x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $183.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bgainesburger, quitting smoking brings out many personnality aspects in people, not only the quitters but people around us, other smokers feel threatened, others are intimidated by our new found personnalities, as with your friend (I'M no expert) by all means, but if you suffer from the same disorder as her son and are doing better, could this be threatening? Don't worry we are here for you and stay quit one day at a time :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 689 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BGH--- No you do not need her support! She doesn't seem to really be your friend at all. Sounds to me like you are doing so well in many areas of your life. Congratulations on your quit! That in itself is quite an accomplishment and you should be so very, very proud! :) I have a 19 year old daughter that is bipolar and was diagnosed at 14 after numerous hospitol visits. She does fine for awhile, but lacks the maturity to realize that this is life-long, and she goes off the meds. Then to street drugs and/or alcohol which leads to committals or worse...you have seen it before...I pray, that one day, she will accept the diagnosis. In case nobody has said this, I am very proud of you and I admire your courage! Keep with the quit and the positive direction your life is heading! :)
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BG, This is your quit and you don't need the approval of anyone for it. Your friend needs to understand what you are doing and how you are making this change in your life to better yourself. There is support in many avenues and you can do this. Take the time to step back and see the situation before making any hasting choices. We are here to support you in your journey! Keep strong and keep posting, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: