Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

The tiniest of Baby Steps

12 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the SSC, Gertie.....you are in great company of folks who've been in your position!  That is what makes this site work for me! 

You remind me of my quit.....I had determined that I fired one off every 15-20 minutes.  So I started lengthening the time between lightups in 5-minute increments.  Couldn't go more than 60 without cheating the clock.  Finally got tired of playing at it and broke the clock and threw out the smokes. 

When you decide to make a go of the quit.....jump on and hold on tight.  Resolve that you are going to win.  You are in control and you are worth the fight! 

Post and read....lots of support here to help through the bumpy parts!  Good luck,

Keep the Quit,

Dave
  • Quit Meter

$50,615.82

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1127 Hours: 12

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thankyou all for your encouraging responses.    I havent set a quit date yet Skier, for me at this point there is no point because i simply wont believe in it until i do more work on my woeful thought patterns.  Still working through the first bit of reading material and trying to get there :)

I loved and have written down the bit where it talks about how long it took to learn to be a smoker, so laying in bed this morning trying to delay that instant wake up need for a cigarrette I was a bit curious as to what it would be like to wake up as a non smoker...how nice it would be not to have smoking as my first thought each day, how nice it would be not to have to fastidiously air out my bedroom from morning chain smoking...and also how much nicer breakfast would taste (and be a bit posher with extra money for nicer food!)

Instead of my usual 6 ciggies before leaving my bed, i delayed and delayed as long as i could, got ready for my day before finally folding.  It was interesting to 'play' with denial.  Interesting to 'play' with the idea of what it would be like to change the habit of 24 years and be what i want to be.  A non smoker!

Gertie :)
12 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome gertie I smoked my last cigarette on November 10/2008. I started at the age of eleven and continued for 43 years and 50 a day the last 5 years. My longest quit attempt was 6 weeks and I always thought that I'd never quit and had always convinced myself that it would be (too hard) and a thousand other excuses that were just hot air (smoke and mirrors). If I can stop (which I have) anyone , no matter how addicted they are , can as well. There are two things that I'll suggest in order to be successful. Number 1 is read Allan Carr's book call The Easy Way to Stop Smoking and number 2 any time that you get a crave drink ice cold water. Keep ice water in the fridge and any time you get a crave drown it. The book worked for me and so did the ice water. Stick around here , read posts and post when you're having problems or have questions. Break the chains that bind you and become a slave to the addiction no more. Yay for you. breather
12 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I am just starting this program also.  I signed on in March (1 post) but only returned last week to give this my all.  I am determine to be positive and know I can do this if I give it my all.  What is your quit date?

Skier
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello gertie,

I wish you the warmest welcome to our site and  assure you that you have come to a place of infinite support and resources. Many members have had great success with our program and our site and it is always nice to welcome new members. Please make yourself at home, get right into working through the program and begin to watch your quit meter grow! If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to post away!

Members, what words of advice do you have for Gertie?

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 410 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Gertie!
I could identify with your frustrations about this horrible addiction. I smoked like a chimney - forever! My second best quit was with the support of the SSC here back in 02 and lasted seven months. I'm  sure I was not in with both feet  then as I went back to to smoking without another attempt to quit for years! Yes, baby steps at first. Be good to yourself! Your self will appreciate what you're doing - promise! A positive attitude works wonders! You'll soon realize your not giving up a thing but gaining a pretty wonderful (healthy) life!
Stick with the winners here!
All the best!
Cameless
12 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hello :)

Well I have had years of being terrified into the dangers of smoking, decades of frustration over finances and constant general shame for being so addicted.  From time to time I have googled quit programs and all were just terrifying and didn't indicate anything that would help me....then I found this website and immediately I feel the teeniest tiniest belief that with time, major lifestyle and thought adjustments and help I actually do have hope of finally beating this demon...and faith that if i work hard and faithfully through the program that that very tiniest teeniest belief will grow into absolute determination, confidence and eventual freedom from this addiction!.

Such a nice thing to contemplate and even look forward to.

Thankyou for this service, I look forward to getting to know you all as we walk this journey :)

Gertie.

Reading this thread: